PDA

View Full Version : Millwood

doublem23
04-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Maybe he's worth just a little more than Johnny Estrada.

:smile:

T Dog
04-27-2003, 04:22 PM
I am pulling for Millwood and the Phillies this season to show the Braves that there can be consequences for dumping a big salary within their own division.

Jjav829
04-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Finally! I've said for the past 3 years that he would throw a no hitter. Hes come so close so many times, it was only a matter of time. Congrats to Millwood!

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-28-2003, 07:01 PM
yeah, i like the guy and have him in a few fantasy leagues. weren't we in talks for him? or was that for Russ Ortiz?

Jjav829
04-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
yeah, i like the guy and have him in a few fantasy leagues. weren't we in talks for him? or was that for Russ Ortiz?

That was Ortiz. There were many Sox fans here who were upset that the Sox didn't make an offer, but there really were not many teams interested in trading for him. The Phils were really the only team willing to pay him.

Daver
04-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
That was Ortiz. There were many Sox fans here who were upset that the Sox didn't make an offer, but there really were not many teams interested in trading for him. The Phils were really the only team willing to pay him.

I doubt he was offered to all that many teams,no matter what Schureholtz has said,Joe Sheehan agrees with me.

Part of the story here is that Millwood is pitching for the Phillies, not the Braves, following last December's trade. I've said it before, and it bears repeating: There's no excusing John Schuerholz's decision to dump Millwood four months before he would have had to start writing checks. It was a panic decision, one in part forced on him by his superiors, and one he should have had the judgment and fortitude to hold off on. His oft-repeated claim that he offered Millwood to all 29 GMs, and was rejected by 28 of them, rings especially hollow.

czalgosz
04-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by daver
I doubt he was offered to all that many teams,no matter what Schureholtz has said,Joe Sheehan agrees with me.

Whatever Schuerholtz said, there's no way he offered Millwood to 29 teams.

Greg Maddux accepted arbitration on December 19th, The Millwood-Estrada trade happened on Dec. 20th. Schuerholtz took the first trade that was offered him to dump Millwood. He probably thought that noone else would want to take on Millwood's salary ($9.9 M).

If Schuerholtz had reacted calmly and spent a few days making phone calls, he could have gotten really good value for Millwood.