PDA

View Full Version : How do we feel about them now?

doublem23
04-27-2003, 03:07 PM
What a difference two games can make.

Let's take it to the A's, boys.

South Sider
04-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
What a difference two games can make.

Let's take it to the A's, boys.

Yeah! A great game despite again only just 3 Hits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But to beat the A's and their pitching staff we need more situational hitting.

Homeruns are great but they often are not enough.

But at least we find a way to win those close ones again.

GASHWOUND
04-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by South Sider
Yeah! A great game despite again only just 3 Hits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But to beat the A's and their pitching staff we need more situational hitting.

Homeruns are great but they often are not enough.

But at least we find a way to win those close ones again.

Homeruns are great but they often are not enough

Especially when they're all of the solo variety

sox_fan_forever
04-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Especially when they're all of the solo variety

Agreed. I can't stand solo shots.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 09:22 PM
The As and then the Mariners twice will be a real test. If we can win 4 of those six at home and then 3 of six on the road I think it will be a positive sign. The guys showed up these last two games and steadied the ship, but the going gets tougher from here on out I think and these next 12 are huge vs. west coast teams and on the road. I think this is a big turning point and proving ground. Zito, Hundson, Mulder the best of the best.

Daver
04-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Agreed. I can't stand solo shots.

I'll take them over a strikeout every day of the week.

mike squires
04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Ask me again at the end of next week!

AngelLeroy
04-28-2003, 02:56 AM
The Sox weren't hitting much today, but they forced the issue a bit with the double steal and drove in pretty much everyone that was on base. If they can continue to do things like this every once in a while, when they don't hit the crap out of the ball, they might have a chance.

Dan H
04-28-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm not convinced of anything yet though I feel good about the Twins' misfortunes. Minnesota does not look like a contender. They have been streaky all month, and that is not the sign of a winner. The division is there for the taking if the Sox want it bad enough.

gosox41
04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I'm not convinced of anything yet though I feel good about the Twins' misfortunes. Minnesota does not look like a contender. They have been streaky all month, and that is not the sign of a winner. The division is there for the taking if the Sox want it bad enough.

That seems to be the Sox problem, lack of intensity. At Friday's Sox game, it looked like the team could care less what happened to it. At least things turned around Sat. and Sun. A good manager will help the players maintain this intensity level even if it means getting thrown out for every BS call made against the team.

Bob

CHISOXFAN13
04-28-2003, 10:59 AM
I understand that 99 percent of people despise Manuel. I mean, geez, you ask for him to show fire, he does, and it still gets criticized. Anyway, am I the only who thinks that players need to motivate themselves? Manuel isn't the greatest manager around, but these guys need to show fire on their own. Ig a guy making 8 milliona year needs a manager to fire his ass up, then we have the wrong collection of 25 guys. I'm growing tired of this argument.

That being said, if we split the next 12 games, I'll be ecstatic. We have to figure out a way to win in Oakland.

voodoochile
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Dan H

I thought the Twins looked terrible in this series. Their supposedly great defense was downright bad and some of those plays were lack of hustle plays that allowed the Sox to reach base. That's worse than lack of ability, it sounds more like the Sox these last two seasons.

Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I understand that 99 percent of people despise Manuel. I mean, geez, you ask for him to show fire, he does, and it still gets criticized. Anyway, am I the only who thinks that players need to motivate themselves? Manuel isn't the greatest manager around, but these guys need to show fire on their own. Ig a guy making 8 milliona year needs a manager to fire his ass up, then we have the wrong collection of 25 guys. I'm growing tired of this argument.

That being said, if we split the next 12 games, I'll be ecstatic. We have to figure out a way to win in Oakland.

I agree that players need to stay on top of their own game and that for the most part they should be able to motivate themselves, BUT sometimes a manager has to make a stand or do SOMETHING to get the team going. What other job does a baseball manager have? Besides, it isn't ALL about firing a team up. It's also about protecting your players from bad calls and other manager's decisions (like plunking Magglio or Frank repeatedly). Until this weekend, Jerry didn't even do that. I say, It's about damn time...

Chisox353014
04-28-2003, 11:37 AM
I was glad to finally see some fire from this team on Saturday, and beating Minnesota for once was nice, but I'm still not convinced the Sox are anything but a shade above mediocre yet. I think we're in for another long, maddening season of ups and downs. There will be moments where they look World Series-bound which will be followed by losing 2 of 3 to teams like Tampa Bay. Hopefully this Minnesota series will be a catalyst and we'll see a nice long winning streak soon.