PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Ejected!

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-27-2003, 02:09 PM
It is about time Manuel got off his butt and showed some intensity.

thecell
04-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Maybe he's feeling his seat getting hot.

Stoky44
04-27-2003, 02:15 PM
It's about damn time.

baggio202
04-27-2003, 02:46 PM
jerry had a perfect view of the loaiza tag from the dugout...nice to see he actually watches the game :D:

jeremyb1
04-27-2003, 04:29 PM
isn't it great that we now have a good manager and a team that will win all their games and play with intensity as a result of jerry getting ejected arguing a call? i wish he'd done this sooner so we would've won friday.

sox_fan_forever
04-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I missed the beginning of the game...what was he arguing?

HawkDJ
04-27-2003, 04:40 PM
On a grounder to first, Loaiza picked up the ball and tagged out the runner. The ump was blocked by Daubach and called the runner safe. He was clearly out.

GASHWOUND
04-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Forget Milwood's no-hitter, this should be the lead story on all the sports headlines!! :gulp:

voodoochile
04-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
isn't it great that we now have a good manager and a team that will win all their games and play with intensity as a result of jerry getting ejected arguing a call? i wish he'd done this sooner so we would've won friday.

What's really ticking you off? The fact that the Sox have actually shown and played with intensity these last two games while not backing down or letting crap slide?

Face the facts. Yesterday they threw at a guy and the team got out there to defend him. Today, Manuel got ejected. The team is playing with more intensity and purpose. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the beanballs and the arguing. On the other hand, maybe they are a sign of a team playing as if every out matters.

Would you prefer a team that didn't take a stand when their players get hit? A team that doesn't fight over every out?

Attitude ROCKS!

TheBigHurt
04-27-2003, 05:56 PM
WELL maybe he should do this more often!!!! :)

BE GOOD

jeremyb1
04-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What's really ticking you off? The fact that the Sox have actually shown and played with intensity these last two games while not backing down or letting crap slide?

Face the facts. Yesterday they threw at a guy and the team got out there to defend him. Today, Manuel got ejected. The team is playing with more intensity and purpose. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the beanballs and the arguing. On the other hand, maybe they are a sign of a team playing as if every out matters.

Would you prefer a team that didn't take a stand when their players get hit? A team that doesn't fight over every out?

Attitude ROCKS!

truthfully i'm (incredibly) glad garland thew at dougie and pleased that manuel was arguing the call at first today. what's bothers me is that people on this board act as though all of our problems would be solved if manuel argued calls with the umps more emphatically and i think that's a huge oversimplification.

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Attitude ROCKS!

My problem with Manuel is that he was three days late getting thrown out.

Thunderstruck30
04-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Maybe Jerry read my post from yesterday saying that he needs to get ejected from a game. He wasted no time today after getting tossed only two minutes after the game started. Way to go Jerry!

whitesoxwilkes
04-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
My problem with Manuel is that he was three days late getting thrown out.

Hal, check the game notes I posted on the email list, just said the same thing.

The crowd went NUTS when Jerry got tossed...we knew it was going to happen and we knew it was the spark we needed. Now if only that intensity would have carried for more than 4 innings...

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Hal, check the game notes I posted on the email list, just said the same thing.

The crowd went NUTS when Jerry got tossed...we knew it was going to happen and we knew it was the spark we needed. Now if only that intensity would have carried for more than 4 innings...

Which reminds me...there will be a "Fallen Arches" column going up shortly. It was written Thursday night so more recent events won't be mentioned. However, despite the fact that he finally did go out there and gripe about a call, Manuel still needs to go.

voodoochile
04-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
truthfully i'm (incredibly) glad garland thew at dougie and pleased that manuel was arguing the call at first today. what's bothers me is that people on this board act as though all of our problems would be solved if manuel argued calls with the umps more emphatically and i think that's a huge oversimplification.

I think your response is an oversimplification of other poster's statements. No one has said that the only thing wrong has been the lack of intensity or Manuel's inability to stand up for his team to the umps, but it has to be considered PART of the problem, IMO.

To be sure the slow start by guys like Konerko, Lee, Rowand, Garland and the bullpen have played a bigger role, but there comes a time when it is time for the manager to try and get his team out of their collective funk. If he can't do it, he shouldn't be the manager, period. That's what everyone has been saying. Of course by the time it becomes an issue for most of us, it is already a major problem. No one was calling for Jerry's head or asking him to go on a screaming jag when the team was playing well, or when they just started out slowly. Only when the team clearly was flat and confused, when they clearly were in danger of letting their funk become a rut, when the umps blew some important calls and opposing teams were regularly drilling our hitters - then it became an issue that had to be addressed.

On the other hand, most of the posters who have disagreed with the idea that Manuel should blow up have made it clear that they believe that NOTHING is EVER gained by a well timed rant. Well, the team seems to disagree...

idseer
04-27-2003, 08:58 PM
i'm glad he stood up for the team finally. but my praise is tempered by the thought that he didn't really do it for the team. rather i would guess he took a lot of behind the scenes heat for being so apathetic yesterday.

so before you start patting the guy on the back, be advised jerry doesn't change. he still stinks as a manager! always has ... always will.