PDA

View Full Version : Out of Line!

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Umpires basically should issue the warning, but they do not have to according to the rules. That being said, I was at the game and if Garland was trying to hit the batter why was the pitch barely inside. Usually, when I pitcher tries to hit the batter, he gets it in the back or some very inside part of his body. Garland, I wish, was as accurate as the umpire gave hime credit for being.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 01:38 AM
It was very obviously on purposed but he didn't hit him in the head or anything, it was his lower back/butt. I mean come on no warning? Thats ejection was unwarranted and Jerry should have gone nuts on that ump's @$$.

T Dog
04-27-2003, 10:06 AM
I would have to watch what happened again to be sure, but I suspect Froemming may have reacted in part to the loud, spontaneous cheers that erupted with the hit batter. The crowd, of course, was reacting to who was hit as well as the pay back for Ordonez.

If it was so obvious to the crowd that Garland was intending to throw at the batter, Froemming may have felt challenged to take action.

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Since I was at the game, I did not have the chance to see the video on the play. I just saw it on ESPN News. I was wrong, it is pretty clear that Garland was obviously trying to hit him.

GASHWOUND
04-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MJL_Sox_Fan
Since I was at the game, I did not have the chance to see the video on the play. I just saw it on ESPN News. I was wrong, it is pretty clear that Garland was obviously trying to hit him.

Obviously it was on purpose, but that isn't the point.
Froeming can't be "above" the game and hitting a player in retaliation is part of the game, its been that way since the dawn of baseball..MLB has turned into the freakin WNBA.
If Garland were to hit him in the 2nd inning would Froemming have ejected him?? I doubt it, but who knows..He would have warned both benches in public view so the fans both at the park and watching at home could "see it" This warnings before game is crap. :angry:

kevingrt
04-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Anybody remotely knowledgeable about the Twinkies Sox rivalry over the past couple years knew that was coming. And the umpire said before the game that he has already warned the benches about if there is a HBP then someone will get tossed.

What I have a problem with is why didn't he toss Lohse 1st then??

sox_fan_forever
04-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
What I have a problem with is why didn't he toss Lohse 1st then??

Yeah, that's what I have a problem with too.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Be consistent that's all I ask. You can adapt to consitently bad b/c it's both ways, but when you warn both teams, let Lohse off and then toss Jon then it's unfair and he's a hypocrite to say he warned them and he was right. Damn refs.

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Damn refs.

Yeah, those baseball refs are getting to be just as bad as NBA umpires.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Yeah, those baseball refs are getting to be just as bad as NBA umpires.

I was musing about referees in general, I had a bad experience with one this morning. Umpires are a type of referee right? We'll have to ask Daver on this one.....

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 11:00 PM
I was musing about referees in general, I had a bad experience with one this morning. Umpires are a type of referee right? We'll have to ask Daver on this one.....

My problem is that when somebody throws me a hanging curve, I just have to swing at it.

Daver
04-27-2003, 11:00 PM
We'll have to ask Daver on this one.....

I know nothing about baseball.

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by daver
I know nothing about baseball.

Yeah, I read that somewhere.