PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Park Renovations

carltonfisk
08-18-2001, 12:05 PM
After checking out the proposed Comiskey Park renovations a few weeks back, I thought I would contact the company in charge just to see if they were for real or not. I thought you guys would be interested. (Plus, I thought this would be a nice break from thinking about last night's ugly performance.)

Well, it's true. HKS is currently working with the Chicago White Sox to do some renovations at Comiskey Park. I wish we were proceeding with all of the fantastic changes that you see on the HKS website, but unfortunately the scope of the project has been minimized somewhat due to troubles with the White Sox obtaining naming rights for the ballpark. Without that significant chunk of cash, some of the larger exterior renovations have been put on hold. Prior to this season we completed phase one construction which entailed adding approximately five additional rows of seating at the front row of the field level from dugout to dugout around the outfield. We also reconfigured the direction of both bullpens in the outfield area and added a terraced picnic area in the right field corner. The right field bar area underneath the seating was also expanded and opened up to the field and bullpen areas more. Finally, a new outfield fence and wall padding were provided. Phase two construction will begin after this season is completed. Phase two construction consists of revisions to the center field batter's eye area in order to create more space behind the batter's eye for shops and
concessions that will be added in phase three if all goes well. Phase two construction also entails upgrades to the field and lower club level corridors. Basically we plan to add some warmth to the concourses with some brickwork and new lighting, among other things such as restroom additions. Phase three is in the design phase right now, but the tentative plan is to develop a Chicago street scene in the outfield area below the large advertisement boards and scoreboard by developing storefronts, each of a unique and different character, containing restrooms, concessions, novelty stores, and possibly a Chicago White Sox Museum or Hall of Fame of some kind. I wish I could tell you more, but decisions for phase three are far from finalized. What I do know for sure is that everything will look very different by the time the All-Star Game comes to town in 2003! Hope this information helps you. Keep your eye on the HKS website for more great projects we are hoping to work on in the Chicago area.

Jerry_Manuel
08-18-2001, 12:22 PM
For some reason I find it hard to believe that they can't find someone to pay for the naming rights.

:moron
I can see it now "Jay Mariotti/Sammy Sosa field at Comiskey Park"

Pete Ward
08-18-2001, 04:56 PM
The only renovation Comisky needs was a move to Addison.

:dinger

PutItOnTheBoard
08-18-2001, 05:01 PM
The only renovation Comisky needs was a move to Addison.

Screw that. I'd become a Cub fan before I'd drive out to a stinkin' suburb to watch a baseball game.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 05:12 PM
I'd become a Cub fan before I'd drive out to a stinkin' suburb to watch a baseball game.

I grew up in a suburb and I swear it only stunk when the wind blew in from the northeast. Then it smelled like a steel mill and chemical plants from time to time.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-18-2001, 05:26 PM
LOL!! To be clear, I don't have anything against people living in the 'burbs. More power to 'em. But I know that their bland monotony ain't for me. I think it's great that Reinsdorf kept the team in the same spot as where the previous 90 years of history took place. To move the team would have broken that continuity, whether it was to Addison or Charlotte. Heck, I've lived in Chicago for 11 years, and I have no idea where Addison even is.

HootieMcBoob
08-18-2001, 08:54 PM
If they had moved the park to Addison, which they should have,
1) It wouldnt be in the ghetto by the projects and the Ryan.
2) It would be in a nice, safe area with restaurants and stuff to do outside the park.
3) I don't think it'd be as tall as it is (not as high of an upper deck) because a suburb won't wan't a structure that sticks out to extremely.
4) MORE FANS WOULD COME. PERIOD.
5) Accessable - right off North Ave.
6)It'd be closer to me, which is good

Daver
08-18-2001, 09:04 PM
Comiskey park is right where it belongs,at 35th and Veeck dr.
If it was in the suburbs I couldn't park on State St. for free and walk to the park.