PDA

View Full Version : Solo Homeruns

RKMeibalane
04-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Frank Thomas hit another homerun last night. No one was on base at the time. Why am I not surprised?

In order for the Chicago White Sox to score runs, people need to find ways to get on base in front of Thomas and Ordonez (and Konerko, if he ever gets his head out of his ass). It seems as though every time one of them comes to the plate, the bases are empty, and the pitch-selection they see is not as good.

Too many times in the past few days have I checked the ESPN Gamecast and seen that Jimenez, Valentin, or Graffanino has swung at the first or second pitch in his at-bat, instead of working the count and trying to force the pitcher to walk him or make a mistake.

Solo homeruns are worth little, if anything. The Sox will not win many games 2-1 or 1-0 this season. Rick White will make sure of that when he implodes on the pitchers mound. The Sox need to score two or three runs at a time. Doing so radically alters the complexion of a particular game.

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Solo homeruns are worth little, if anything.

They are worth one run apiece. (Sorry, I couldn't control myself.)

Jjav829
04-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Well Jimenez has an .OBP of .423. Valentin is at .372. It's not just that guys aren't getting on, but when they do get on the heart of the order is not coming through. Frank is batting .185 with runners on and .125 with RISP so thats not exactly helping. Konerko's 7 DP's aren't helping either. Maggs is batting .280 with runners on and .324 with RISP. Jerry needs to consider moving Maggs up to #3.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well Jimenez has an .OBP of .423. Valentin is at .372. It's not just that guys aren't getting on, but when they do get on the heart of the order is not coming through. Frank is batting .185 with runners on and .125 with RISP so thats not exactly helping. Konerko's 7 DP's aren't helping either. Maggs is batting .280 with runners on and .324 with RISP. Jerry needs to consider moving Maggs up to #3.

Maybe Manuel should consider this lineup:

2B- Jimenez
SS- Valentin
RF- Ordonez
DH- Thomas
1B- Konerko
LF- Lee
CF- Rios
3B- Crede
C- Alomar

Rowand should no longer be the starter. He's awful.