PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Must Go....Season already done?


Hangar18
04-26-2003, 02:19 PM
continued play like last nite, and more Poor Decisions by Manuel......This seasons done. Im the 1st one off the Bandwagon. Sorry, but im seeing bad things already.

MHOUSE
04-26-2003, 02:33 PM
There are just so many similarities to last season except we're .500 from the start and not 15-7 IIRC.

soxnut
04-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Hangar18, I'm just about ready to agree with you. It's the S-O-S for the past three seasons. They don't play fundamental baseball, they don't move runners over, they try to hit home runs all the time and I think that's selfish and stupid. this team is no fun to watch.

Then they end up coming out of the gate slowly, fans who were going to come out when the weather got warmer because of the prospects before the season began, are now not going to come out. Then, once the Sox are out of it, they'll start playing great again, have an outside-outside-outside shot at post season, and everyone will wonder where the fans are.

Nothing is consistent with this team, except for it being inconsistent. Who wants to watch these guys? What expectations does one have going to see them. Is there a good chance they'll see good starting pitching---maybe. Will they see some scrappy mamufacturing of runs--no. Great defense?--maybe from a couple of guys. A shut 'em down relief core?--no. A team that can come back in the late innings after being down a few runs?--no. A team not being able to come back after a few runs--yes(hey, there's a consistency!!)

The only real thing that has been consistent with this team is one thing---we've changed pitching coaches, batting coaches, 1st and 3rd base coaches a few times, and even a general manager.........hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder who/what that one consistency is???




I am a Sox nut, and I love going to the games, but the only interest I have in going this year is to check out the fan deck and the other modifications to the ballpark. So far, the team hasn't given me worth watching.


I have waited with anticipation since the World Series ended for the season to start again. And after 6 months of waiting, the season is not even a month old and I'm ready to throw in the towel. :angry: :?: :(: :whiner: :(:

NewyorkSoxFan
04-26-2003, 06:11 PM
I agree with all the sentiments above. I think the at bat with Rios really typifies this team. That was the worst attempt to give yourself up that I have ever seen. The fact that all they do is try to hit homeruns and JM is content waiting for them to do that. How many DP's can Maggs, Frank, and Paulie hit into? Nobody even attempted a bunt and you are being no hit through almost 6 innings? That is ridiculous. JM has to take some responsibility for this, stop running these guys out there if they can't get the job done.

I feel the season slipping away as usual in April. I mean could we once be in the race at the All-star break? It is really embarassing and this team should be ashamed of the effort the put forth for the fans. And I better not hear anybody talking about why the fans dont' show up.

NYSF

baggio202
04-26-2003, 06:43 PM
soxnut said this "this team is no fun to watch. "

if i had to pick one sentence top sum up the white sox the past 2 plus years now that would be it ...not only is this team no fun to watch..its freaking painful to watch...watching rios last night had my stomach in knots..every game i pick a selfish ply like that from a sox player that has me doing the same thing....

is there any wonder on a clear , but cold friaday night with our number 1 nemises in town we only draw 14k???...why should a family of four drop 122 bucks (thats what its cost bases on mlb averages) to go and watch a team thats not only no fun to watch..but would have you doing contortions in your seat ???...

well july 15th football season starts for me and i wont even be able to wact the sox games w/o taping them..im sure not stocking up on blank vhs tapes

StepsInSC
04-26-2003, 06:45 PM
I just want to add that I might be mistaken, but didn't the Angels start off like 10 games below .500 last year?? I know we dont seem to have the team chemistry they had, but just to use them as an example of the season not being anywhere near over.

baggio202
04-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I just want to add that I might be mistaken, but didn't the Angels start off like 10 games below .500 last year?? I know we dont seem to have the team chemistry they had, but just to use them as an example of the season not being anywhere near over.

the seasons not over..the sox are just playing like it is...
even if this team comes back and wins the division , and it very well could because 85 wins could win the division , it will never advance in the playoffs..it just doesnt get the "team concept" of baseball...

here my crystal ball predictions for this team in the playoffs...lets say oakland...zito against colon...its 1-1 in the 8th..we get a runner on 2nd , no one out..fail to advance him to 3rd and dont score...oakland in the 9th gets a singles..bunts the guy over to 2nd base and somebody like mark johnson comes off the bench for a game winning bloop single off august call up arnaldo munoz (another manuel brilliant move ala chad bradford in '00)...two more similiar one run losses and they sox are done...3 and out..and we score like 5 runs in 3 games

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Funny. they play piss poor on a nite they need to be winning a game. they play decent for 2 games out of 3. which means they shouldve SWEPT them, instead, we dont. we may play OK ball, but thats not enough to play with the Yankees and Royals of the world. Im throwing in the Towel for this year. But Im still going Tonite, its a beautiful nite tonite, I'll be there Wednesday nite, and I'll be there Friday Nite. Wish I had something to cheer about. Instead I'll be drinking with Wilkes and Steff

hold2dibber
04-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Funny. they play piss poor on a nite they need to be winning a game. they play decent for 2 games out of 3. which means they shouldve SWEPT them, instead, we dont. we may play OK ball, but thats not enough to play with the Yankees and Royals of the world. Im throwing in the Towel for this year. But Im still going Tonite, its a beautiful nite tonite, I'll be there Wednesday nite, and I'll be there Friday Nite. Wish I had something to cheer about. Instead I'll be drinking with Wilkes and Steff

I get so frustrated with fans that think this way. The Sox are on pace to win 91 games, despite the fact that they haven't started hitting at all yet, and their bullpen has been crap. Those two areas will improve. Moreover, if you think the Sox' season is over, I guess you think the Red Sox, A's, Cubs, Phillies and a bunch of other teams with similar records are done, too? Or does that kind of thinking only apply to the Sox? I'm realistic about their chances this year - the Sox are not going to win 100 games and I doubt they could beat the Yankees in a playoff series. But it is certainly waaayyyyy to early to suggest the season is over, or that they can't be every bit as good as the Royals, Red Sox, Twins, Mariners, etc. They haven't played well, but they're on pace to win 91. What does that tell you?

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Good Point Dibb. Yes, maybe we still somehow pull a Cub and get in the back door of the playoffs. These guys arent beating the teams to a pulp like they should be. I dont feel the energy with them. Dont get me wrong, Im still going to go to support the guys I really like on the team, Like Valentin, Maggs, Rowand and now Loiaza (good for him) but I dont like their chances, Playoffs or not. Like I said, im not holding much hope for them this year, but I'll be there tonite. Would be Awesome if Im Totally Wrong about all this. Best mistake id like to make

voodoochile
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Good Point Dibb. Yes, maybe we still somehow pull a Cub and get in the back door of the playoffs. These guys arent beating the teams to a pulp like they should be. I dont feel the energy with them. Dont get me wrong, Im still going to go to support the guys I really like on the team, Like Valentin, Maggs, Rowand and now Loiaza (good for him) but I dont like their chances, Playoffs or not. Like I said, im not holding much hope for them this year, but I'll be there tonite. Would be Awesome if Im Totally Wrong about all this. Best mistake id like to make

Have fun at the ballpark - all by yourself. Sox don't play until Tuesday... :)

Want to meet at Jimbo's before the game? I'll bring my Pepsi bottle unless anyone has an extra I can buy...

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Have fun at the ballpark - all by yourself. Sox don't play until Tuesday... :)

Want to meet at Jimbo's before the game? I'll bring my Pepsi bottle unless anyone has an extra I can buy...

heheh, i couldve swore they were playing tonite. Dang!
Think Im going to squeeze tomorrow in, Will let you know asap Voodoo

alohafri
04-28-2003, 01:08 PM
I think it's funny how so many of us are thinking the season is over even though we're over .500 and it's only April...meanwhile, over on the northside, they're talking about the WS and gushing about being in 1st place...and they have the same record as the Sox!


--Mrs. Aloha

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
I think it's funny how so many of us are thinking the season is over even though we're over .500 and it's only April...meanwhile, over on the northside, they're talking about the WS and gushing about being in 1st place...and they have the same record as the Sox!


--Mrs. Aloha

Hey Mrs Aloha! your right thats funny. sox fans are more Grounded In Reality.

voodoochile
04-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey Mrs Aloha! your right thats funny. sox fans are more Grounded In Reality.

Or just more pessimistic in general...

Chisox353014
04-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Another reason is the NL Central is once again the laughingstock of baseball. The Scrubs are the only team out of 6 that's above .500 right now. Hopefully Houston and St. Louis will get it going soon. We don't need another "Cubbie Miracle Summer" in Chicago. Those get annoying real quick.

Iwritecode
04-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
I think it's funny how so many of us are thinking the season is over even though we're over .500 and it's only April...meanwhile, over on the northside, they're talking about the WS and gushing about being in 1st place...and they have the same record as the Sox!


--Mrs. Aloha

As scary as it is to think about right now, the Cubs seem to be playing in a weaker division than the Sox...

What's with the Marlins taking the Cards to 20 innings last night? The Marlins??? :?:

doublem23
04-28-2003, 02:48 PM
:chickenlittle

Some people...

valposoxfan
04-28-2003, 03:06 PM
The reason that everyone in here is about ready to throw in the towel despite the 14-11 record is because this team has shown no heart and no effort whatsoever. We know that this type of effort on a regular basis is going to get us no where. The Cubs may be 14-11 but they go out there and play their a$$es off (for the exception of Shammy) and that is why Cubs fans are talking about the WS. (Also because they are idiots.) Once this team shows heart I will believe, but until then I will continue to be pessimistic.

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
As scary as it is to think about right now, the Cubs seem to be playing in a weaker division than the Sox...

What's with the Marlins taking the Cards to 20 innings last night? The Marlins??? :?:

Burnett is going on the DL again. theyre dying for Pitching Like the Twinkies are. Can you imagine if the Marlins werent so stupid to trade Clement? and if Prior were a Twin, we wouldnt be in such "ok" shape.

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
The reason that everyone in here is about ready to throw in the towel despite the 14-11 record is because this team has shown no heart and no effort whatsoever. We know that this type of effort on a regular basis is going to get us no where. The Cubs may be 14-11 but they go out there and play their a$$es off (for the exception of Shammy) and that is why Cubs fans are talking about the WS. (Also because they are idiots.) Once this team shows heart I will believe, but until then I will continue to be pessimistic.

My sentiments Exactly. In all my years watching baseball, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A HEARTLESS TEAM WIN THE WORLD SERIES.
period.

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 04:36 PM
BUT...........Ive seen a number of Teams with MINIMAL TALENT, but a TON OF HEART Win WORLD SERIES TITLES. If one man wants something Bad Enough, he'll will himself to get it. If 25 men want something Bad Enough, they Can Win EVERYTHING. (03'sox, feel free to post this in the lockerroom)

voodoochile
04-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
BUT...........Ive seen a number of Teams with MINIMAL TALENT, but a TON OF HEART Win WORLD SERIES TITLES. If one man wants something Bad Enough, he'll will himself to get it. If 25 men want something Bad Enough, they Can Win EVERYTHING. (03'sox, feel free to post this in the lockerroom)

You have? You think a team like the Tigers (about as minimal as talent can get) can win the WS if they play with heart? I don't buy it. There is a base level of talent required just to make the playoffs every year. The Sox clearly have that level, the question is can they harness it.

I agree that this team was looking pretty lifeless late last week, but I think they have the make up to get past that and make a run at the playoffs and beyond. If they continue to play like they did these past two games, they should walk away with the division, IMO.