HawkDJ
04-26-2003, 12:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jm-pitchcounts&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

A.T. Money
04-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Black Jack has a little grey in that goatee.... :D:

MHOUSE
04-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Great article. I think he brings up some really good points. Pitch counts should be used for bringing a guy back from injury or for loosely seeing how tired/worked a guy might be, but they should rely more on how the pitchers feels than pulling him at 101 pitches every game.

jeremyb1
04-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Great article. I think he brings up some really good points. Pitch counts should be used for bringing a guy back from injury or for loosely seeing how tired/worked a guy might be, but they should rely more on how the pitchers feels than pulling him at 101 pitches every game.

he does make good points but i don't know how we're supposed to be so sure that all pitching coaches fail to take these things into account.

baggio202
04-27-2003, 12:16 AM
i know jack knows more about pitching than i do but iirc wasnt he a guy that the sox used to let pitch 120 -130 pitches a game???..he kinda burned out fast...maybe a ptch count isnt such a bad thing

one positive..it teaches pitchers to throw strike one and get guys out if they want to go deep into games and get that W

Daver
04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
i know jack knows more about pitching than i do but iirc wasnt he a guy that the sox used to let pitch 120 -130 pitches a game???..he kinda burned out fast...maybe a ptch count isnt such a bad thing

one positive..it teaches pitchers to throw strike one and get guys out if they want to go deep into games and get that W

Pitch counts and radar guns are tools of the ignorant,Nardi take a bow here.

Jack's career was ended on a non pitching related arm injury.

baggio202
04-27-2003, 12:25 AM
while ia gree radar guns arnt no tool to be used to judge a guy they do serve purpose...they are a great tool to tell when a guy is losing it...if a guy is throwing 95 in the first 3 innings then he is only reaching 90 in the 6th...good time to get him out of the game

as for pitch count s being for the ignorant...i look back to the game that ruined james baldwin's career...dumbass manuel let him stretch it out in 90* heat with 90% humidity to the tune of 127 pitches in a game we won 11-0 iirc...the next game baldwin couldnt get out of the first inning and ended up on the DL Tthe next day..had to have surgery and was never the same

Daver
04-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
while ia gree radar guns arnt no tool to be used to judge a guy they do serve purpose...they are a great tool to tell when a guy is losing it...if a guy is throwing 95 in the first 3 innings then he is only reaching 90 in the 6th...good time to get him out of the game

as for pitch count s being for the ignorant...i look back to the game that ruined james baldwin's career...dumbass manuel let him stretch it out in 90* heat with 90% humidity to the tune of 127 pitches in a game we won 11-0 iirc...the next game baldwin couldnt get out of the first inning and ended up on the DL Tthe next day..had to have surgery and was never the same

The pitching coach is responsible for how long a pitcher stays in a game.

And the same pitching coach is responsible for making sure his pitcher is ready for his next start,and if his mechanics are off it is up to the pitching coach to yank him.

Jerry doesn't do a whole lot of things right,but he does listen to his pitching coach.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 01:14 AM
I like Coop he seems real and down to earth like a guy you'd like to hang out with. Straight forward as well. He's a good guy to have with our young staff a think. Nardi was a joke.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by daver
Pitch counts and radar guns are tools of the ignorant, Nardi take a bow here.

Yes, but what about stopwatches worn over warm-up tops? :smile:

:nardi
"I wanted them to embroider 'coach' across the chest, but everybody I asked said they were too busy to help me out." :(: