PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle now BLOWS

A.T. Money
04-25-2003, 07:19 PM
What's Buehrle's problem now? This guy can no longer get out of the first inning.

balboner
04-25-2003, 07:27 PM
we're lucky that he didnt accept that long-term contract. Many baseball experts don't believe he'll end up being a top-notch starter due to the large amount of innings he's thrown during his young career.

A.T. Money
04-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Somehow the White Sox bring out the best in Minnesota.

Daver
04-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by balboner
we're lucky that he didnt accept that long-term contract. Many baseball experts don't believe he'll end up being a top-notch starter due to the large amount of innings he's thrown during his young career.

Balderdash.

joecrede
04-25-2003, 07:47 PM
On a positive note, Buehrle registered 87-88 MPH on the gun regularly in the 2nd & 3rd innings. Haven't seen that from him in awhile.

Daver
04-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
On a positive note, Buehrle registered 87-88 MPH on the gun regularly in the 2nd & 3rd innings. Haven't seen that from him in awhile.

How is that positive,and what does it prove?

TheBigHurt
04-25-2003, 08:07 PM
WELL hes playin better now

MHOUSE
04-25-2003, 09:22 PM
He had a rough go, but he looked like the real Mark after that. I think 2 hits over the next 6 innings. At least 3 Ks. Maybe he figured it out. I thought the offense might get him back the other 2 runs in the 7th but I guess not. 2-3 now, but only one BAD outing. Still could have won opening day and tonight. I think he's tired if anything. Lots of innings last 2 years and so far this year. But i doubt that means he's washed up.

balboner
04-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Kudos to Mark for fighting through the rest of the way to give us 7 innings. I'd like to see Cooper prepare these guys off the get go a lot better. Way too many first inning runs

Hangar18
04-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Man are the SOx lucky he left all that money on the Table.
Hes looked bad his last 3 starts. He stunk 1st inning today, but I watched him in the BP warming up, he couldnt locate his Curveball. finally got it back, but was too late.

hsnterprize
04-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Oh, great. Now people are turning on Buehrle. Okay, I admit I didn't like that he's comeout struggling out of the gate. Giving up 3 runs in the first inning wouldn't exactly build my confidence either. However, he did go 7 innings tonight, and if you take away the performance in the 1st, we probably would've won the game...that is if the offense ever got up off the ground. A solo homer from Frank Thomas is nice, but it's not going to be enough against teams like Minnesota.

konerkopeachy
04-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Kudos to Mark for fighting through the rest of the way to give us 7 innings. I'd like to see Cooper prepare these guys off the get go a lot better. Way too many first inning runs

Seriously. Loaiza's the only starter who hasn't given up any first inning runs lately.

well, it could also be the fact that he's bionic.

lowesox
04-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Man are the SOx lucky he left all that money on the Table.
Hes looked bad his last 3 starts. He stunk 1st inning today, but I watched him in the BP warming up, he couldnt locate his Curveball. finally got it back, but was too late.

Hangar18- Over the last few weeks I've found one consistency at WSI - that I have the exact opposite opinion as you. You seem to give up on players at the exact moment they struggle. Don't you know that every major leaguer struggles now and again. Pedro Martinez has had some bad times - would the Red Sox be lucky not to have him?

Buerle's had two bad starts, and before that he received nothing but praise at WSI. Even cub fans are gracious enough to support their team when they're performing at their best.

Iguana775
04-26-2003, 01:40 AM
the sox as a whole blow.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2003, 02:19 AM
I have no proof of this, just an opinion but I think Buehrle's contract squaables over the past two years are starting to get to him.

They have gotten progressively more publicized and more acerbic and that's got to be playing mind games with him.

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-26-2003, 10:10 AM
ship him to st. louis! I agree, he had a rough first inning but then was pretty good out there from then on, much improved from last sunday's start

voodoochile
04-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Buehrle needs to his his spots to be effective. He didn't do it last game (his sinker and curve were up in the zone). He didn't do it last night either and hitting Mantiekiewitz didn't help his cause. He seemed okay after the first. I think He'll be fine.

I doubt it is his money situation, but more the teams struggles that caused him to have an off night. Buehrle has said he doesn't like to think on the mound. He just throws. I imagine every member of the team is thinking about the season and the weight is starting to build on them. Now with the Twinkies in town it all starts to wear on them. It's the exact opposite of what is happening with the Royals at the moment...

joecrede
04-26-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by daver
How is that positive,and what does it prove?

The better the pitcher's velocity, the bigger his margin for error is, especially in Buehrle's case given his above average control.

As far as what it proves, it's too early to tell. If he can maintain this velocity for another start or two, not only will he pitch better, but it lessens the concern I have about his arm.

Daver
04-26-2003, 12:28 PM
The better the pitcher's velocity, the bigger his margin for error is, especially in Buehrle's case given his above average control.

Balderdash.

joecrede
04-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
Balderdash.

Can you amplify on that?

mike squires
04-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Another problem I had last night is hitting what's his name with runners on base after allready surrendering 2 runs. That cost us another run the very next batter...Go ahead and hit him, but wait till there's nobody on base and with less of a threat...

doublem23
04-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Outside of a couple posters who have their heads grounded in reality, this is the silliest thread I've ever read.

Mark is fine. Pitchers struggle from time to time. Jesus Christ. If he struggles for another month, then we talk. Give your ace some room for error.

Isn't this about the same time Mark went on a bit of a slide last year? Remember that outing in Oakland when he gave up like 4 homers in one inning? What the hell did you expect? a 1.20 ERA the whole year?

lowesox
04-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Outside of a couple posters who have their heads grounded in reality, this is the silliest thread I've ever read.

Mark is fine. Pitchers struggle from time to time. Jesus Christ. If he struggles for another month, then we talk. Give your ace some room for error.

Isn't this about the same time Mark went on a bit of a slide last year? Remember that outing in Oakland when he gave up like 4 homers in one inning? What the hell did you expect? a 1.20 ERA the whole year?

I couldn't agree more. Just by reading a few of the threads at WSI you can see how many fairweathered fans the WhiteSox have.

I'd say way more than other teams.

WhiteSox = Life
04-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I couldn't agree more. Just by reading a few of the threads at WSI you can see how many fairweathered fans the WhiteSox have.

I'd say way more than other teams.

Yeah, there are some fairweathered fans of the White Sox, but I think the LA Teams (any sport) or the Yankees have more. When they're losing, nobody cares to come out to the park. At least, from what I've seen, read or heard.

Of course, the most fairweathered fans exist in Minnesota.

:D:

Konerkoholic
04-27-2003, 12:48 PM
There is NO reason to be worried about Mark Buehrle. He's been missing his spots, so he got hit hard. But when Buehrle's on, he's an extremely smart pitcher and can get any hitter out. Besides, Buehrle is not the reason this team has been underachieving. It's because the offense goes to sleep after scoring early runs, and the bullpen eventually blows what little lead the offense gave them in the first few innings. Buehrle will be fine and we should be thankful to have him.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Are these the same "fair weather" fans who have helped make this same WSI site probably the best Sox site on the web?

Just Wondering..... (and I think Sox fans have a right to be "fair weathered" when they so choose.....it seems this organization has been pretty "fair weathered" in their committment to bring a championship to these same fans don't you think?)

Lip

WhiteSox = Life
04-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Are these the same "fair weather" fans who have helped make this same WSI site probably the best Sox site on the web?

Just Wondering..... (and I think Sox fans have a right to be "fair weathered" when they so choose.....it seems this organization has been pretty "fair weathered" in their committment to bring a championship to these same fans don't you think?)

Lip

I agree that the organization has been "fair-weathered" so to speak.

Also, though I haven't ben here as long as others have, I'd surmise that is was the fair-weather fans, and still is, that help keep WSI the best White Sox fan on the web. However, it wouldn't be anything without the loyal diehards that constantly give interesting opinions, thoughts and questions. Without the core group of posters, just the fair-weathered fans wouldn't keep WSI as great as it is. The opposite applies, too. I believe that there's a very good balance and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Besides, how do fair-weathered fans become diehard fans?

By being exposed to all the White Sox material there is, understanding and learning about the White Sox and choosing to take the step from fair-weathered to loyal.

That's what WSI gives them an opportunity to do and that's what makes WSI the best White Sox site on the web.

lowesox
04-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Mark Buerle has been incredible for the WhiteSox over the last few years. He doesn't deserve a thread about how much he "Blows," because he's had, what, 2 bad starts? That's pathetic. I don't care how often somebody posts on this site - if they **** all over a star players because he isn't perfect all the time, that's the definition of being a ****ty fan.

Hangar18
04-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
What the hell did you expect? a 1.20 ERA the whole year?

Yeah, considering the Money this guy wants. I was expecting something like this. I know he will rebound, but will it be too late?