PDA

View Full Version : Turning point

lowesox
04-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Sometimes good teams play poorly against bad teams for the same reason gifted kids do poorly in school - lack of challenge. Let's face it, even though they've sputtered - this is a very talented team. And regardless of how well KC has played this season the series the sox have circled on their calendar is the one we're about to start.

People say that the sox needed to win 18 games in April. I say bull****. Kansas City will soon start losing. Minnesota will soon start winning. The key to April is for the Sox to win more games than the twins.

I think the way the Sox play in these next three games will have a more determining factor on how well they'll the rest of the way out, much more than the first 20 games will.

I'm hoping for 2 out 3. Where we really play well. I think that's all we need.

CHISOXFAN13
04-25-2003, 04:12 PM
I agree 100 percent. I was pissed and disgruntled and ready to stay home tonight. But this weekend is one I've been looking forward to for months. We'll see how good we are. I think this team needs a challenge and here it is.

LET'S GO!

thecell
04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
I agree with you 100%. Those have been my feelings about the Sox for the past few years.

southpaw40
04-25-2003, 04:46 PM
[i] Let's face it, even though they've sputtered - this is a very talented team. And regardless of how well KC has played this season the series the sox have circled on their calendar is the one we're about to start.[/B]

I agree this upcoming series with the Twins is important, but I have a bad feeling about it. This team over the last four or five games has been mailing it in, and only the great pitching of Loaiza on Tuesday has prevented them from completely tanking it.
When they get into this kind of spiral, it takes them a long time to get straightened out, if history is a measuring stick. It's almost as if they expect to lose, and it's always "we'll get 'em tomorrow".
I was hoping some of the new blood they have (Colon, White, Gordon, Koch, Daubach, Rios) would have a revitalizing effect on the holdover players, but it looks like it's worked the other way around. I hate to say it, but in my opinion this team has no heart.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I hope the Sox sweep the series, and don't look back the rest of the season!

soxnut
04-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Ya know, I ususally look for the silver lining, but as of right now, it's pretty dim to me. With the way things are going, I expect to at least lose 2 out of three, and then have a pathetic west coast trip. then we'll be out of it, and will hear about Mark Pryor all summer and how the Bears scrwed up their draft picks.

Ever since this team learned that it can hit home runs back in 2000, that's all they seem to want to do. I wish the fences were 500 feet away, then they'd have no choice but to try to manufacture runs. I am sick and tired of the "Paul Konerko HEAD-DROP-IN-DISGUST" after popping it up with runners in scoring position. "HIT IT TO F****N right field you jack**s. Same goes for alot of the other guys on this team too. The only one I really don't have a problem with right now is Joe Crede----he is the most fundamentally sound player and person on this team. He gets his butt down on a ground ball, doesn't try for a home run every time up and when he's struggling at the plate he tries to go to right field instead of pulling it. All the other Sox players take notes......you ja*****es!!!

Hopefully.........everything I've said will be invalid, except about Joe crede............................. :angry: :(: :whiner: :(: :?:

lowesox
04-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Ya know, I ususally look for the silver lining, but as of right now, it's pretty dim to me. With the way things are going, I expect to at least lose 2 out of three, and then have a pathetic west coast trip. then we'll be out of it, and will hear about Mark Pryor all summer and how the Bears scrwed up their draft picks.

Ever since this team learned that it can hit home runs back in 2000, that's all they seem to want to do. I wish the fences were 500 feet away, then they'd have no choice but to try to manufacture runs. I am sick and tired of the "Paul Konerko HEAD-DROP-IN-DISGUST" after popping it up with runners in scoring position. "HIT IT TO F****N right field you jack**s. Same goes for alot of the other guys on this team too. The only one I really don't have a problem with right now is Joe Crede----he is the most fundamentally sound player and person on this team. He gets his butt down on a ground ball, doesn't try for a home run every time up and when he's struggling at the plate he tries to go to right field instead of pulling it. All the other Sox players take notes......you ja*****es!!!

Hopefully.........everything I've said will be invalid, except about Joe crede............................. :angry: :(: :whiner: :(: :?:

Usually I take a piece out of Sox fans that rip the team apart when they're down, but your post is intelligent. And I can tell its more frustration than anything. The truth is they will get it together - I'm sure of it.

And the good news is the Twins have a worse record and they're the team to worry about. So its not like we're getting buried.

By the way, I have faith still that they'll win the next 2.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Some of you may have noticed that Jose' Valentin was quoted again as having critical comments about the team just like the previous two years.

He said that the team is lifeless and my first thought when I read the story was that he's now getting angry that players still haven't learned how to play correctly and aren't showing any emotion.

Of course that could be because of whom the manager is.

Lip

gosox41
04-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Some of you may have noticed that Jose' Valentin was quoted again as having critical comments about the team just like the previous two years.

He said that the team is lifeless and my first thought when I read the story was that he's now getting angry that players still haven't learned how to play correctly and aren't showing any emotion.

Of course that could be because of whom the manager is.

Lip

Lip, you're 100% right. Teams tend to take on the personality of their manager That's why every eyar they have the same downward spiral of a slump and it lasts so long. Manuel seems ho-hum about it and the players look like they could care less.

Bob

Dan H
04-26-2003, 08:28 AM
The team still has time to turn it around, but it has to start soon. Right now, the only thing they have proven is that they can beat Detroit. The White Sox are not a team that can afford to sputter in April and May and hope to turn on the after burners in the summer months. Remember, this team was only 81-81 last year, and right now they are just one game over .500. One game over for 185 games isn't anything to crow about. Fans have to ask themselves why they should have high expectations with this performance.

I'm not one for blaming the manager, but I think Manuel has got to go. He's a decent guy, but one division title doesn't make him a great manager. It seems like the same old thing with the Sox, and a change is in order. I see no reason to wait.

For the past two years, injuries have been used as an excuse for bad seasons. That won't wash anymore. Koch needs to start peforming, and the offense needs to do some good situational hitting. Good hitting isn't just bashing home runs.

The Sox need to win the next two games against the Twins, and then they really need to play some consistent ball. They have to show me something before I think they will be on the same level of the Yankees, Red Sox and even Seattle.

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Lip, you're 100% right. Teams tend to take on the personality of their manager That's why every eyar they have the same downward spiral of a slump and it lasts so long. Manuel seems ho-hum about it and the players look like they could care less.

Bob

Not to be picky, but they act like they couldn't care less. If they could care less there would actually be some hope.

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 08:40 AM
In the next fallen arches, the truth about Jerry Manuel will be revealed. No one picked up on something he said this spring. "Last year we put too much emphasis on getting off to a good start."

This was by design, boys and girls. He didn't want to put too much emphasis on getting off to a good start, and they didn't. Manuel is a success as a manager!

soxnut
04-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Usually I take a piece out of Sox fans that rip the team apart when they're down, but your post is intelligent. And I can tell its more frustration than anything. The truth is they will get it together - I'm sure of it.

And the good news is the Twins have a worse record and they're the team to worry about. So its not like we're getting buried.

By the way, I have faith still that they'll win the next 2.

Thanks for your commments about my post. And yes I am frustrated. But it's true about the home run attitude of this team, and if they don't snap out of it, they're going nowhere. :(: