Viva Magglio
08-18-2001, 12:16 AM
Why, KW?

CLR01
08-18-2001, 12:17 AM
bye bye jose.

Jerry_Manuel
08-18-2001, 12:18 AM
Perhaps to get Liefer some playing time?
I don't know just thinking of what is rolling through his mind.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Why, KW?

:KW

I've thrown in the towel. Hey how about them 2002 Sox?

Tragg
08-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Doesn't this waiver deal work such that it's effectively a trade - they either waive someone that we will claim or they give us the player we asked for after the season.

surely kenny wouldn't just waive him for nothing in return.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-18-2001, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Perhaps to get Liefer some playing time?
I don't know just thinking of what is rolling through his mind.

Speaking for myself, I've seen enough of Jeff Liefer. He is at best a pinch hitter and utility man, and if he doesn't start getting some hits cold off the bench I'm not sure he's even good for that. His bat isn't good enough to make up for his terrible defense. We're talking about a corner fielder/1B-type guy.

I would keep Konerko and Perry long before I gave Jeff Liefer an everyday job.

My dream: the Lumbering Ox at 1B, Big Frank DHing, and Matt Stairs serving 24 oz. frothy cups on Comiskey's main concourse.

:)

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 12:47 AM
My dream: the Lumbering Ox at 1B, Big Frank DHing, and Matt Stairs serving 24 oz. frothy cups on Comiskey's main concourse.

Damn Lumbering is dreaming of pinstripes. But, we may have a shot at getting Kegger where he belongs!

Viva Magglio
08-18-2001, 12:55 AM
I heard about Canseco being on waivers from a Score caller. The caller mentioned this and wondered if the Cubs should claim Canseco. The host did not indicate that Canseco is safely with the Sox.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 01:01 AM
I heard about Canseco being on waivers from a Score caller. The caller mentioned this and wondered if the Cubs should claim Canseco.

:shammy

No guy with arms bigger than mine is playing with the Cubs. This is my team. I will be the only one with guns.

:moron

That's right, Sammy. It's all about you!

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2001, 01:43 AM
Sometimes, waivers are just to see who is interested and what they are willing to part with.

Pete Ward
08-18-2001, 08:06 AM
Standard operating. There are many types of waivers. In the past some teams put there entire team on re-vocable(?) waivers to gage interest from other teams. If a claim is made you can pull the player off waivers without losing him.

KW is seeing if there is any interest in Jose Canseco for the Aug 31 trade deadline. [B] :) Only question left is: Who gets a Sept call up?

Paulwny
08-18-2001, 08:56 AM
You're right Pete--This from newsday.com:

According to Mets GM Steve Phillips, players remain on waivers for 48 hours, then if they are claimed by another team, they remain on for another 48 hours while the team claiming them tries to work out a trade. (Weekends count.) The team that placed a player or waivers can pull him back as soon as he is claimed, which is the most common practice during the August waiver period that follows the July 31 trade deadline. In fact, most teams put their ENTIRE 25-man roster on waivers just to gauge interest from other teams. But as soon as a star players like Mike Piazza or Derek Jeter is claimed, they are immediately pulled back. Very few trades result from waiver claims, considering the number of players placed on the waiver wire.

LuvChiSox
08-18-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Speaking for myself, I've seen enough of Jeff Liefer. He is at best a pinch hitter and utility man, and if he doesn't start getting some hits cold off the bench I'm not sure he's even good for that. His bat isn't good enough to make up for his terrible defense. We're talking about a corner fielder/1B-type guy.

I would keep Konerko and Perry long before I gave Jeff Liefer an everyday job.

You read my mind re Liefer. I don't know why anyone thinks he's any good. Maybe some time in the minors will sharpen his skills.

And Canseco really had me po'd last night. He's turning into another samME---always going for the long ball instead of trying to move the baserunners. 3 strikeouts and a DP. Ugh!!

At least Mr. "Best Player ever in Chicago" struck out FOUR TIMES last night. LOL!!!

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 11:31 AM
My bet - someone is very interested in getting Canseco via trade. (Yankees? A's, perhaps?) If Canseco clears waivers, a trade will happen. If someone claims Canseco, he'll be pulled off waivers. Just my opinion, I don't claim to really understand KW's thinking...

Paulwny
08-18-2001, 01:05 PM
You could be right CZ, big concern in NY is the lack of punch on the Yankmes bench.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-18-2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox

You read my mind re Liefer. I don't know why anyone thinks he's any good. Maybe some time in the minors will sharpen his skills.

And Canseco really had me po'd last night. He's turning into another samME---always going for the long ball instead of trying to move the baserunners. 3 strikeouts and a DP. Ugh!!

Liefer is 27 years-old. This is about as good as he'll ever be. I would get rid of Canseco but I can't believe he's taking at-bats away from anybody that deserves more of them. He's strictly a DH and that job belongs strictly to Frank Thomas next year. Why delude a bunch of Sox players into thinking they can DH for our Sox when Canseco is merely keeping Frank's seat warm?

Pete Ward
08-18-2001, 02:32 PM
Canseco should be gone by Aug 31st.

Get Borchard and Leifer some AB's in Sept.

Frank's the DH but we can use Sept to get some guys some AB's for next year. Giving Jose AB's now may be pointless.

mrwag
08-18-2001, 03:07 PM
Maybe we can get a decent infielder outta this.