PDA

View Full Version : Who's Limping Worse?

whitesoxwilkes
04-24-2003, 10:27 PM
It's time for us to face our first "real" opponents of the year as we take on the Twinkies in a 3 game set at the Cell. Question I pose is who's worse off...us or them?

duke of dorwood
04-24-2003, 11:00 PM
US-Twins not overachieving, we are underachieving-and we stink too

TheBigHurt
04-24-2003, 11:11 PM
HAVE to say the Twinkiies since at least as a whole were above .500

BE GOOD

bc2k
04-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
HAVE to say the Twinkiies since at least as a whole were above .500

BE GOOD

I agree, plus we are in second place; the Twins are in third place.

MHOUSE
04-24-2003, 11:29 PM
US- our "strong" bullpen sucks and the only consistent starter we've had is 4-0 Loaiza. The offense is anemic and our manager is helpless. They're below .500 (vs. Yankees, Royals, etc.) but we look plain awful for the teams we've played.

jeremyb1
04-24-2003, 11:34 PM
i guess there's two ways to look at this. a glass is half empy way and a glass half full way. the glass half empty view is that our offense isn't as good as we thought and the bullpen is in shambles and therefore we're lucky to be several games under .500 and our luck will soon fade to leave us with another dissapointing season.

the glass half full way which i prefer is that despite an offense and pen which are bound to improve we haven't put ourselves in a big whole and that once the offense and relief pitching come around we're going to win quite a few games. i don't think paully will hit .200, i don't think frank will hit .235, i don't think, maggs will hit .280, i don't think carlos will hit .230. i also don't think koch, gordon, and white will struggle so much. if they do, we can switch the roles in the pen and call on ginter, almonte, and possibly munoz, majewski, and ring.

there are a lot of people here who act like this season is a total disaster but looking at it other than some of the starting pitching very little has gone right and we're still 2 games over .500. if that's not a good sign, i don't know what is. the angels were something like 6-17 in april last season and won the world series. if they can bounce back from that start we can bounce back from a 12-10 start.

StepsInSC
04-25-2003, 12:12 AM
My first reaction is the Twins...but then I remember that seven of their losses are against the Yankees....and I wouldn't be surprised if we got swept by the Yanks too in the season series. We're just above .500 b/c we've had the benefit of a weak schedule so far.

hsnterprize
04-25-2003, 06:08 AM
I'm being positive about all of this because, if you think about it, all the hype before this season started said the Sox and Twins were supposed to duke it out for the AL Central. Now, the Twins aren't on the hot start many prognosticators predicted. Unfortunately, the Sox aren't running away with the division either. But, I think this weekend's series will be a good test for the Sox. If they can put some space between themselves and the Twins, I think KC will self-implode and the Sox will take over 1st place.

It's a shame the bullpen couldn't hold last night's lead. Josh stewart didn't pitch a dominating game, but it was good enough to get him another win under his belt if it weren't for White and Gordon. Jerry Manuel said both pitchers were a "concern", and that tells me they're on the chopping block. Anyone know of any pitchers in our minor league system that could be good fill-ins for middle relief?

South Sider
04-25-2003, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hsnterprize
[B]I'm being positive about all of this because, if you think about it, all the hype before this season started said the Sox and Twins were supposed to duke it out for the AL Central. Now, the Twins aren't on the hot start many prognosticators predicted. Unfortunately, the Sox aren't running away with the division either. But, I think this weekend's series will be a good test for the Sox. If they can put some space between themselves and the Twins, I think KC will self-implode and the Sox will take over 1st place.

I disagree. The Sox played nearly every game against sub.500 teams.

I bet we win just 1 of 3 games this weekend
1 loss today vs Mays (our hitter can't figure him out)
--predicted score for tonight Sox-Twins 1-5--
We'll get a meaningless run in the 9th. Bases Loaded. Konerko hits into another double play. Buehrle will give up 1 run, the bullpen will give up 4 runs again

and
1 loss when Garland will pitch
--predicted score Sox-Twins 2-9

Stoky44
04-25-2003, 10:32 AM
The only reason that I say we are limping more is because we have not played the Yanks yet, whereas the Twins have.

thecell
04-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
The only reason that I say we are limping more is because we have not played the Yanks yet, whereas the Twins have.

Yeah, but they haven't played the O's!