PDA

View Full Version : Mindless venting about Hawk and DJ

gosox41
04-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Sox lost another frustrating game and I am beyond frustrated. If you don't like my venting then stop reading now.

The Sox are 12-10 after playing 22 games that finished way too many games under .500 last season. Not at all what I hoped for or expected after playing a bunch of weak teams. Too many blown opportunities by our high powered offense led by the $8 mill per season Paul Koernko to another stellar performance for the bull pen. Compunding it even more is listening to the 2 goofs on TV.

I've been sick of Hawk and his love for things for years. For the most part I like DJ except when Hawk decides he needs his ego massaged and uses DJ as a hand puppet. But what frustrated me most about tonight (and for this season) is listening to Hawk say "He just missed it" every time a Sox hitter hits a lazy pop up to the OF and hearing both Hawk and DJ talk about how by the end off the season, the Sox bullpen will be one of the teams strong points.

I know these guys are supposed to be homers for the Sox, but after listening to them you'd think this was the '27 Yanks going through a rough patch. Of course I could always turn the TVdown, but that would make me listen to the Yoda speak of Ed Farm who never met a sentence he couldn't butcher. My last option is to just go to a loud sports bar and watch the game there with the sound down. The way it's going, I need a lot of alcohol to watch (and listen) to this "contending" team.

I'm done venting.....for now.

Bob

FanOf14
04-24-2003, 09:24 PM
You are a mind reader! I agree a 110% with your post. I am a big Konerko fan, but he is really pissing me off with his crap play at bat and on the field.

T Dog
04-24-2003, 09:29 PM
I listen to the games on the radio, even if they are on free television. Without Tom Paciorek listening to the television play-by-play is simply no fun.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Folks:

The WSI May interview is going to be with a former announcer who knows Hawk well and had some very interesting things to say about these very subjects.

Lip

MHOUSE
04-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Hawk and DJ annoy me too! I loved your post! I used to like the whole "Put it on the board" thing and "Hightower Falls....yes!" But now I just want to strangle Hawk everytime he says "Stretch, stretch..." when it's obviously not going to. If DJ says "this bullpen is going to be a strong point for this team" after Gordon or White blows another game then I am going to scream. I mute the tv and listen to real announcers (Jon and Ed) on AM1000 because at least they don't lick management's butt or spout randomly about Hawk's playing days. Say what you want about Rooney and Farmer but they have a much better broadcast than Hawk and his b**ch DJ.

DonkeyKongerko
04-25-2003, 12:46 AM
I think whats sad is the performance on the field is so disgusting we are actually listening to Hawk and DJ.

Sad
04-25-2003, 07:31 AM
youre not the only one venting
last night was a classic "Yell at the TV" night
my wife thinks I'm nuts

Konerko is absolutely P A T H E T I C !!!
take a few more pitches would ya?
sheesh
Double-Play Paulie

and Flash Gordon... cripes...
leave him on the bench already!!!!

Ive learned to take Hawk in stride
I used to absolutely dislike him but now he makes me chuckle
he is definitely a gumper... condescending & arrogant at times and talks like he had a .400 lifetime batting average...

yeah whatever Hawk...

man last night really ticked me off!
:angry:

btw
I think 12-10 was just enough for Hawk to win a steak dinner from Mike North as they made a bet after game 2 or 3 of the season...

LuvSox
04-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Hawk---.239 lifetime hitter. WOW Mr. Harrelson, do you have anymore heroic baseball stories for us?

I hope the May interview is Wimpy. :D:

A.T. Money
04-25-2003, 10:23 AM
This thread subject says it all......"Mindless".

Give me a break guys, now we're going after Hawk and DJ?

So would you rather have Chip and Stoney? Yeah right.

I have DirecTV, and I will flip between a lot of games when the Sox are done playing, and I can honestly say that Hawk and DJ are by far the most entertaining announcers in the game today. Some of these announcers are just boring, and have no personality.

My girlfriend and I love to listen to Hawk and DJ on TV. To me, they have a much better chemistry now than they did in 2000 (DJ's first year), and I truly believe that Hawk and DJ right now, are much better than Hawk and Wimpy were.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
This thread subject says it all......"Mindless".

Give me a break guys, now we're going after Hawk and DJ?

So would you rather have Chip and Stoney? Yeah right.

I have DirecTV, and I will flip between a lot of games when the Sox are done playing, and I can honestly say that Hawk and DJ are by far the most entertaining announcers in the game today. Some of these announcers are just boring, and have no personality.

My girlfriend and I love to listen to Hawk and DJ on TV. To me, they have a much better chemistry now than they did in 2000 (DJ's first year), and I truly believe that Hawk and DJ right now, are much better than Hawk and Wimpy were.

Totally agreed. I have watched almost every other team's homecasts except the Expos of course, and find their announcers to be awful. Some sound like they're 13...Josh Lewin does Rangers games...AHHHHH. The Orioles announcers are okay, but the Yanks and Red Sox are awful. If you don't like homer announcers, then I understand, look for national tv games, but if you like your announcers to be fans, then Hawk and DJ are fun. They do plenty of criticizing. They were bringing up Garland's future before any of us or the papers were.

Sad
04-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Josh Lewin is ANNOYING...

there's something about him ... that is very ... odd

I find alot of Texas games on my dish/ wild-feeds and have come to the conclusion he is indeed...

...an alien :o:

you heard it here first
:gulp:

CHISOXFAN13
04-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I don't care what the fine or jail time is, if Gordon gives up another home run to blow a lead, I am running onto the field to tackle him. Please get somebody out this year.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Sad
Josh Lewin is ANNOYING...

there's something about him ... that is very ... odd

I find alot of Texas games on my dish/ wild-feeds and have come to the conclusion he is indeed...

...an alien :o:

you heard it here first
:gulp:

Well, I wouldn't be shocked. I like at the end of games when he yells....BALLGAME!

Chisox353014
04-25-2003, 11:44 AM
*patiently awaiting a KingXerxes appearance in this thread*

gosox41
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

The WSI May interview is going to be with a former announcer who knows Hawk well and had some very interesting things to say about these very subjects.

Lip

I look forward to reading it. I've heard some nasty stuff about Hawk when he was with Paciorek and maybe I'll find out if any of it was true..

Bob

oldcomiskey
04-25-2003, 05:14 PM
have any of you ever been in a broadcasting booth to call a game or announce anything---well I have been a disc jockey for most of My life and if you think its easy youre wrong--leave Hawk alone----his stories are entertaining enough---nobody bitches about them when the team is winning---and sure hes no Harry Carey---but name some TV announcers yall think are better this side of Jim Kaat--be thankful we dont have those dolts in Minnesota or the north side and be damn thankful Skip and V-Chip aint around

oldcomiskey
04-25-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Hawk---.239 lifetime hitter. WOW Mr. Harrelson, do you have anymore heroic baseball stories for us?

I hope the May interview is Wimpy. :D:

which is 239 points more than what you hit and besides I dont remember too may heroic stories about himself---and whats wrong with him pointing out that Yaz was the greatest clutch hitter he ever saw...stop nitpicking

T Dog
04-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
have any of you ever been in a broadcasting booth to call a game or announce anything---well I have been a disc jockey for most of My life and if you think its easy youre wrong--leave Hawk alone----his stories are entertaining enough---nobody bitches about them when the team is winning---and sure hes no Harry Carey---but name some TV announcers yall think are better this side of Jim Kaat--be thankful we dont have those dolts in Minnesota or the north side and be damn thankful Skip and V-Chip aint around

Baseball play-by-play is something I couldn't do, certainly. But too many television play-by-play are too irritating. Just the sound of Tim McCarver's voice will drive me to the mute button. As for people who I thing would be an improvement over current Sox announcers, I wouldn't mind listening to Bill Melton and Tom Paciorek. They would be a vast improvement over the Hawk and anyone he would be willing to work with.

LuvSox
04-25-2003, 07:52 PM
which is 239 points more than what you hit and besides I dont remember too may heroic stories about himself---and whats wrong with him pointing out that Yaz was the greatest clutch hitter he ever saw...stop nitpicking

Nice middle school come back. I think Hawk sucks. He has the stupidest catch phrases. He has the tendency to say nothing at all for minutes at a time. Last time I checked, it was his job to TALK, to get people interested in the game. Isn't that how advertising dollars are made, by ratings? Who wants to watch a doofus say tired & stupid crap, when he is actually talking. Real announcers keep you interested, even laughing. Rooney & Farmer are real. Better yet, Vin Scully is the tops. He works alone because he doesn't need a crutch. He knows what he's talking about and he's never quiet for minutes at a time.

oldcomiskey
04-25-2003, 09:33 PM
no that was a good high school comeback and besodes scully puts me to sleep---how intersting is that

LuvSox
04-25-2003, 09:48 PM
no that was a good high school comeback

You're killing me :D: I don't think we're gonna agree on this.
:)

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2003, 12:46 AM
How many of you ever had to listen to Brickhouse? If you had to listen to him name-drop about all the "famous" people he had dinner with, you'd puke. Hawk is a day at the beach compared to many Sox announcers of the past. Somebody above said he wasn't as good as Harry. Give me a break. Do you really think that drunkenly slurring the names of the towns that "they're here from..." is good baseball announcing? Tired cliches? "That wouldn't be a homerun in a phone booth." "They got what the little boy shot at. Nothing." (What the hell does that mean, anyway?) Harry criticized Sox players mercilessly, but every Cubby Bear was just okey-dokey with him.

Hawk never claims he was a great hitter. He made a very accurate statement one day recently: "I wasn't a good hitter, but I was a dangerous hitter." That's the absolute truth.

longshot7
04-26-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Totally agreed. I have watched almost every other team's homecasts except the Expos of course, and find their announcers to be awful. Some sound like they're 13...Josh Lewin does Rangers games...AHHHHH. The Orioles announcers are okay, but the Yanks and Red Sox are awful. If you don't like homer announcers, then I understand, look for national tv games, but if you like your announcers to be fans, then Hawk and DJ are fun. They do plenty of criticizing. They were bringing up Garland's future before any of us or the papers were.

I agree about Hawk and DJ - when I lived in Chicago, I couldn't listen to them ever - but now they've grown on me - and besides, they have personality. Most team's announcers have no personality whatsoever - but I disagree about Michael Kay (Yanks) and Josh Lewin. As well, in the homer camp (but still good), I like the Braves broadcasters - they're fans, but they still criticize the team. Hawk got into trouble last year because he spoke his mind too often. I think it's what's needed.

Of course, I'm also spoiled by getting to listen to Vin Scully nearly every day as well. He's still the best.

LuvSox
04-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
How many of you ever had to listen to Brickhouse? If you had to listen to him name-drop about all the "famous" people he had dinner with, you'd puke.

Oh yeah, I remember Brickhouse. Those damn stories about "The Pink Poodle." He's a running joke in my family with these classic lines-- "It's a no hitter for Milt Pappas!" & "It's Ernie Banks 500th home run!" As kids around the neighborhood we called him Brick-mouth.

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 09:05 AM
I hope everyone here critical of Brickhouse (the announcer who helped make me a baseball fan) has listened to his call of the 1959 pennant clincher elsewhere on this site. I hope you also remember that until pretty late in his TV career (I think after the Sox went to Ch. 32), Brickhouse was calling the game alone for all but the bottom of the seventh and the entire eighth inning. No color person to provide statistics or insights. That wasn't Vince Lloyd's, Lloyd Pettit's, or Jim West's job in those days. Their job was to do play-by-play for in inning and a half while Brickhouse took a restroom break and maybe to do a live read for a Hamm's beer commercial.

Baseball broadcasting is an entirely different beast from what it was when Brickhouse came up in the business. He was one of the best of his generation. If you think otherwise, find a tape of a Brickhouse telecast and then put on a tape of Jack Drees, his replacement when the Sox went to Ch. 32.

When he was with the Sox Harry Caray wasn't slurring names of players in a drunken stupor. In fact the slurring of the names came after he had a stroke. (If you don't believe me, check out some of the 1984 Cubs telecasts on ESPN Classic. I defy you to point out where he does this.

As for his being critical of the Sox and not being critical of the Cubs, that was in Caray's agreement when he signed with the Cubs. Sox attendance remained relatively stable (and up from the less than 400,000 of the Drees years) during his entire stay on the South Side. When he went about 70 blocks north, Cubs attendance skyrocketed. The Sox would have done well to have kept him on.

harwar
04-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Man,i loved Jack Brickhouse.I grew up with that guy."Hawk"Harrelson is really annoying with his cliches and catch-phrases,but he has one redeeming value.His guts are being ripped-out watching this pathetic excuse for a MLB team just like mine.A lot of the things he says are just habit.I fear he does believe we have a good bullpen tho.I guess as the season plays out we'll see.Also,i have MLB extra-innings,where you get 8 or ten games a night with all the different broadcasters from around the country.Its well worth the money to listen to all the different points of view and styles of play-by-play.Personally i think Steve Stone is one of the best color guys in the business.However;If he comes packaged with chip caray i'll have to say no thank you.

LuvSox
04-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Well, this has certainly turned into a spirited debate. My only memories of Brickhouse are his Cubbie days; I hate them so I guess a natural dislike of ol' Jack followed. Harry was great for our side, but our beloved management thought his talents were better suited elsewhere. If we have a history of losing great announcers, I guess I'm stuck with Hawk. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Torn:

A tremendous post. Also a point to reemphisize. In Rich Lindberg's Q & A with WSI he said that Brickhouse told him he practically begged Sox owner Art Allyn NOT to go to Channel 32 after the stirring 1967 season, Brickhouse said he wasn't sure but felt that somehow technology would be invented to enable the Sox to be seen not only in Chicago but throughout the Midwest.

If this is a true story then Jack knew his stuff didn't he? Maybe if the Sox had listened to him 35 years ago they wouldn't be the stepchild that they are today.

Lip

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Torn:

A tremendous post. Also a point to reemphisize. In Rich Lindberg's Q & A with WSI he said that Brickhouse told him he practically begged Sox owner Art Allyn NOT to go to Channel 32 after the stirring 1967 season, Brickhouse said he wasn't sure but felt that somehow technology would be invented to enable the Sox to be seen not only in Chicago but throughout the Midwest.

If this is a true story then Jack knew his stuff didn't he? Maybe if the Sox had listened to him 35 years ago they wouldn't be the stepchild that they are today.

Lip

I don't doubt that it's a true story. After all, Brickhouse was part of the first telecast to Europe via Telstar. Cable TV existed by then, too. We first saw cable in a trip out west in 1963. It came to our town (Kankakee) by 1968. So there is ample reason to assume that if Brickhouse had any visionary tendencies, he might see satellite and cable as a way to reach a national audience.

(For those who are too young to remember, it was the first communications satellite, developed by Bell Labs, iirc. It was in a non-synchronous orbit, so the broadcast transferred from region to region as the satellite passed over those parts of the United States. The Cubs happened to be home that day, so the broadcast from Chicago was a brief bit of a Cubs game.)

T Dog
04-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
When he was with the Sox Harry Caray wasn't slurring names of players in a drunken stupor. In fact the slurring of the names came after he had a stroke. (If you don't believe me, check out some of the 1984 Cubs telecasts on ESPN Classic. I defy you to point out where he does this.

As for his being critical of the Sox and not being critical of the Cubs, that was in Caray's agreement when he signed with the Cubs. Sox attendance remained relatively stable (and up from the less than 400,000 of the Drees years) during his entire stay on the South Side. When he went about 70 blocks north, Cubs attendance skyrocketed. The Sox would have done well to have kept him on.

Harry Caray's speech was much tighter when he was with the Sox. He was a lousy excuse for a human being, but before his stroke he was a natural baseball announcer. Sox management used to get a tremendous volume letters complaining about him, though, in part, because when he was openly antagonistic toward some Sox players -- to the point where quality players confronted him and demanded to be traded. I don't know of any other announcer who drove popular players off his team. Hawk sent Ron Kittle packing, but that wasn't really the same thing.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Hawk sent Ron Kittle packing, but that wasn't really the same thing.

What exactly did this situation entail? I know Kittle spent some time with the Yankees in 1986, which was around the same time that Harrelson was the general manager. Did Hawk trade Kittle, or did he drive him out of town by making negative comments about him?

T Dog
04-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Hawk, the once and future announcer, traded Ron Kittle while he was pretending to be a general manager. Hawk is the reason Kittle went to the Yankees, and he is the Sox announcer, but Kittle didn't demand to be traded, and certainly didn't demand to be traded because of behavior from the broadcast booth. Hence the difference.

jortafan
04-26-2003, 06:34 PM

I agree with you completely. I've always been of the belief that it was too bad Harry didn't retire after 1984, with a division-winning team as his grand finale. It seemed after the mid-1980s, his age and then the stroke took too much out of him, turning him into the slurring boob we all remember now. Of course, to most Cubs fans who had little recollection of him as a prime broadcaster, the slurring boob was entertaining, in the same way they think their half-witted ballclub is cute when it loses.

I can't help but wonder how bad Caray would be if he were still doing Cubs games today. You just know the Cubs first baseman Hee Seop Choi would wind up coming out as Hee Chop Suey.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2003, 06:38 PM
The excuse making has continued this evening. DJ mentioned again that he thinks the bullpen will eventually "right the ship." I do not understand his blind faith in some of those pitchers. Marte and Koch will come around, but Rick White and Tom Gordon are awful. White should never have been brought with the club after ST. The only reason he was is because Williams accquired him in the off-season, and everyone knows that KW loves to cover his own ass, as opposed to doing what's best for the team.

TornLabrum
04-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The excuse making has continued this evening. DJ mentioned again that he thinks the bullpen will eventually "right the ship." I do not understand his blind faith in some of those pitchers. Marte and Koch will come around, but Rick White and Tom Gordon are awful. White should never have been brought with the club after ST. The only reason he was is because Williams accquired him in the off-season, and everyone knows that KW loves to cover his own ass, as opposed to doing what's best for the team.

Tom Gordon has been either brilliant or pathetic. Tonight he's looked just fine. Pitchers who run hot and cold like that are frustrating. I can almost see why Gen. Disarray keeps going to him. You never know if you're going to get Flash or Flush Gordon.

LuvSox
04-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I do have to give Hawk credit for something. When he gets hot under the collar, he stands up for our guys. You're not going to hear too many announcers say "That's BS!!!!"

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2003, 01:45 AM
I wasn't talking about Harry's post-stroke slurring, I was talking about the games he did from the bleachers. "Hey buddy, thanks for the cold Falstaff." He got hammered during many games and slurred his words.

Brickhouse may have been good for his time, but he often didn't follow the action while he dropped the names of the "famous" people he knew. You have listened to tapes of big games; I listened to him do the regular, every-day games.

oldcomiskey
04-27-2003, 08:14 AM
so Harry was a poor excuse of a human being---so were Elvis Presley and John Lennon---so was Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash til he found June Carter---the bottom is like is they like Harry only owed you one thing---the performance at hand

T Dog
04-27-2003, 08:53 AM
so Harry was a poor excuse of a human being---so were Elvis Presley and John Lennon---so was Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash til he found June Carter---the bottom is like is they like Harry only owed you one thing---the performance at hand

No one demanded to be traded from the White Sox when John Lennon left Cyn for Yoko.

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Brickhouse may have been good for his time, but he often didn' follow the action while he dropped the names of the "famous" people he knew. You have listened to tapes of big games; I listened to him do the regular, every-day games.

I watched him do games for the Sox and Cubs every every day (except when school was in session) from 1955-1967. We used to turn on the radio to see how far behind in the count Bob Elson was. That was because we knew Brickhouse would be calling the game whileElson was dropping the names of the people he saw at the pump room. You've got your Sox announcers mixed up, I fear.

One Sunday afternoon the count went from the batter stepping in to 3-2 before Elson even announced a pitch. Brickhouse never let that happen in the years he worked with the Sox. In fact, by the later innings a typical Brickhouse call was (and we used to joke about this all the time), "3 and 2...3 and 2...Ball 3, strike 2...Here's the 3-2 pitch...."

A.T. Money
04-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Vin Scully does the Dodgers right? He's incredibly boring! The guy wouldn't quit yapping. Sometimes it's good to have a pause so you can hear the crowd and the sounds of baseball. Scully just kept rambling..blahblahblah blahblahblah blah.

How can anyone say he's a "good" announcer?

TornLabrum
04-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Vin Scully does the Dodgers right? He's incredibly boring! The guy wouldn't quit yapping. Sometimes it's good to have a pause so you can hear the crowd and the sounds of baseball. Scully just kept rambling..blahblahblah blahblahblah blah.

If you're talking about radio, dead air is even more boring. Besides, Scully's stories go back about 50 years to when I was a kid. Love that stuff!

T Dog
04-27-2003, 11:13 AM

A couple of years before Groucho Marx died, an interviewer, noting that the aging comedian had acquired some wealth in his life, asked him who he planned to leave his money to. Marx answered that he could leave his money to Vin Scully, who had brought so much joy to his life.

Scully is not in your face, but he's not nearly as boring as Red Barber, from whom he learned his craft. (From the Barber recordings I've heard, I get the feeling he made Bob Elson seem manic, just as Harrry Caray made Bob Elson seem dead.) It's a matter of taste, but I like Scully. I like his voice. And Scully always considered the game the star of the broadcast.

But mostly, I just wanted to make references to Marx and Lennon in the same thread.

WhiteSox = Life
04-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
A couple of years before Groucho Marx died, an interviewer, noting that the aging comedian had acquired some wealth in his life, asked him who he planned to leave his money to. Marx answered that he could leave his money to Vin Scully, who had brought so much joy to his life.

Scully is not in your face, but he's not nearly as boring as Red Barber, from whom he learned his craft. (From the Barber recordings I've heard, I get the feeling he made Bob Elson seem manic, just as Harrry Caray made Bob Elson seem dead.) It's a matter of taste, but I like Scully. I like his voice. And Scully always considered the game the star of the broadcast.

But mostly, I just wanted to make references to Marx and Lennon in the same thread.

Right. You can learn your craft from somebody, but try to perfect it into your own tastes. Kind of like what Lenin did by adapting the original principles and guidelines set down by Marx and Engels to work for the conditions presented by imperialism.

Sorry about the very short lesson in communism. I just wanted to make references to Marx and Lenin in the same post.

:)

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2003, 12:04 AM
I watched him do games for the Sox and Cubs every every day (except when school was in session) from 1955-1967. We used to turn on the radio to see how far behind in the count Bob Elson was. That was because we knew Brickhouse would be calling the game whileElson was dropping the names of the people he saw at the pump room. You've got your Sox announcers mixed up, I fear. I never tried listening to Elson while watching on TV. That's funny.

Brick was a big name dropper too. Elson was the king of dead air, and reading "Friendly Bob Adams" commercials while the game was going on.

They're both in the broadcasters' wing of the Hall. I was just trying to say that people often have unrealistic memories of how good broadcasters were compared to the ones of today.

Nellie Comiskey
04-28-2003, 09:52 PM
How Hawk could show his face at Comiskey, excuse US Cellular blows me away. His shtick was humorous at first, however now after over a decade...please let's move on to someone who knows how to broadcast...someone who's been educated and knows how to spin a story and at the same time not miss a beat(pitch). DJ trys and seems to be an OK fellow, however he is a brutal broadcaster. I'm extremely tired of sports commentators getting these high profile jobs with no experience and solely on the fact they played the game. Old, washed-up coaches/players are fine for in-studio commentary, but not for live play-by-play duties. Hawk has really become a joke and those who are avid fans see through his talent. He is humorous with good tales on occasion, but Sox fans deserve better. :o:

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Nellie Comiskey
Hawk has really become a joke and those who are avid fans see through his talent. Ah, another poster using the old trick of intimating that anyone who doesn't agree is not an "avid fan."

Judging broadcasters, like any entertainer, is subjective. What's good to me is not good to you. For instance, I don't understand for the life of me how Adam Sandler has a career. What a "one-trick pony" that guy is. But he's making tens of millions, and I'm not, so someone must like him. I like Hawk. You don't. Neither of us is right, neither is wrong.

Hullett_Fan
04-29-2003, 10:13 AM

I'll say he's a GREAT announcer! Great voice, knowledgeable and not in your face or goofy like most of the announcers of today. Harry Kalas and Ernie Harwell were good too. I was a fan of Joe McConnell when he did Sox games as well.

LuvSox
04-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Judging broadcasters, like any entertainer, is subjective. What's good to me is not good to you. For instance, I don't understand for the life of me how Adam Sandler has a career. What a "one-trick pony" that guy is. But he's making tens of millions, and I'm not, so someone must like him. I like Hawk. You don't. Neither of us is right, neither is wrong.

Well said. Broadcasters falling into the "Sandler" category would be Steve Lyons, Rick Sutcliffe, Jeff Brantley & Chip Caray.

Foulke You
04-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I like the Hawk. I love his drypan call of the game when a visiting team hits a homer off us. You can here the pain in his voice as he monotone delivers: "That ball is crushed...way back...(*long pause*) and it is 5-4 Orioles...(*long pause*). I can just picture him muting his mike between those pauses and swearing every word in the book. It wouldn't be watching a Sox TV broadcast to me without hearing "I looooove pigeons", "Mercy", "Gaaaaaas! He's Gone!", etc.

Farmer and Rooney call a better game and offer more insight but for pure passion about the Sox, you gotta go with the Hawkeroo.

I understand how some people might not like Hawk, DJ, Farmer, or Rooney but as some previous posters here said, you would appreciate them more if you heard what the other teams announcers were like. The Cubs have the dueling idiot tandems of Chip Carey and Steve Stone and who can forget (shudder) Santo and Hughes, the broadcast team that makes paint drying on the wall seem interesting. The Boston Red Sox TV guys are bad and don't get me started on Joe Morgan, Sutcliffe, and that other clown on ESPN broadcasts. Fox's Josh Lewin and Steve Lyons? (shudder again) Makes me want to give the Hawk and DJ a big giant hug if I see them.

A.T. Money
04-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I like the Hawk. I love his drypan call of the game when a visiting team hits a homer off us. You can here the pain in his voice as he monotone delivers: "That ball is crushed...way back...(*long pause*) and it is 5-4 Orioles...(*long pause*). I can just picture him muting his mike between those pauses and swearing every word in the book. It wouldn't be watching a Sox TV broadcast to me without hearing "I looooove pigeons", "Mercy", "Gaaaaaas! He's Gone!", etc.

Farmer and Rooney call a better game and offer more insight but for pure passion about the Sox, you gotta go with the Hawkeroo.

I understand how some people might not like Hawk, DJ, Farmer, or Rooney but as some previous posters here said, you would appreciate them more if you heard what the other teams announcers were like. The Cubs have the dueling idiot tandems of Chip Carey and Steve Stone and who can forget (shudder) Santo and Hughes, the broadcast team that makes paint drying on the wall seem interesting. The Boston Red Sox TV guys are bad and don't get me started on Joe Morgan, Sutcliffe, and that other clown on ESPN broadcasts. Fox's Josh Lewin and Steve Lyons? (shudder again) Makes me want to give the Hawk and DJ a big giant hug if I see them.

Jon Miller is the ESPN announcer with Joe Morgan. Miller does the San Francisco Giants games, so that's why he's always talking about Bonds and the "Bay Area".

I kinda like his voice actually. I like the way he says "Valentin". Hosaay Valenteeeeen. :D:

czalgosz
04-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Hawk and DJ are fine - I like "homer" announcers. You just have to take their analysis with a grain of salt - they are way too forgiving of Sox players' bad play.

Foulke You
04-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Jon Miller is the ESPN announcer with Joe Morgan. Miller does the San Francisco Giants games, so that's why he's always talking about Bonds and the "Bay Area".

I kinda like his voice actually. I like the way he says "Valentin". Hosaay Valenteeeeen. :D:

Jon Miller is the guy I was referring to. I don't mind what he says so much as how he says it. He often puts the emphasis on the wrong syllable or word in a sentence which gets on my nerves when you listen for a whole game.

LuvSox
04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Jon Miller is the guy I was referring to. I don't mind what he says so much as how he says it. He often puts the emphasis on the wrong syllable or word in a sentence which gets on my nerves when you listen for a whole game.

How can you say anything bad about Miller when he has to work with Morgan? :D: Joe Morgan is the most arrogant broadcaster around. He talks like he was the ultimate second baseman and knows everything about everything. What a jag. Jon Miller is awesome. I wish the Sox could land a guy like him.

gosox41
04-29-2003, 05:19 PM

I just Hawk didn't sound like such a puupet for the team. I understand who pays his salary and how it's his job to root and promote the team. However, not everything the Sox do is good/positive. But if you ask Hawk, this team has done no wrong. It's not the case.

At least Farmer will flat out say the team isn't performing well or someone isn't doing their job. He doesn't always sugarcoat, but still roots for the team.

On a different note, as much as I like David Wills basbeall analysis(or whatever his name is) I am getting sick of his on air advertising. Is everyone at Dodge Midlothian a good friend and do they expect me to want to buy there because I hear him talk about it. Also, his "good friend" at the White Sox fantasy camp is such a good friend that he's gotten his name wrong on 2 seperate occasions this season (and I've only listened to a few pre-game shows). Both times he mismatched the first and last name of the people involved. I see his credibility going down the tubes.

Bob

Dan H
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
I just don't think these two click. I tolerate these two guys mostly. When they fire Manuel, a change should be made in the booth as well.

SoxOnTop
05-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Despite not pointing out the Sox obvious gaffes I still enjoy listening to Hawk. But I think the biggest problem with Hawk and DJ is that they are too low key together. I always thought that Whimpy's goofy attitude was a good foil to Hawks serious style. Despite the content of what they say, I think that Hawk and DJ combo style-wise.

Brian26
05-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
On a different note, as much as I like David Wills basbeall analysis(or whatever his name is) I am getting sick of his on air advertising. Is everyone at Dodge Midlothian a good friend and do they expect me to want to buy there because I hear him talk about it. Also, his "good friend" at the White Sox fantasy camp is such a good friend that he's gotten his name wrong on 2 seperate occasions this season (and I've only listened to a few pre-game shows). Both times he mismatched the first and last name of the people involved. I see his credibility going down the tubes.

:wills

Don't forget my good friends down at TC's PUB in Oak Lawn!
I'll be stopping by there later for a few cold ones!

soxnut
05-06-2003, 05:19 PM
I luuuuvvv Hawk. He has a differnet sound than most of those "manufactured" sounding announcers, who sound like disc jockeys. He has alot of passion for the Sox, and if you think his quality is down, maybe it's just because this team is sooooooooo boooooooring right now, that, it takes it toll on the Hawk as well.

I do miss Hawk and Wimpy together, those were the best of times in the booth. :smile:

The guy I can't stand is Dan Schulmann(?) on espn..mostly radio..that guy sounds phony...and he puts a "hard--d--sound in almost every word he says..listen to him the next time you can and just listen to the way he pronounces "inning"..he needs to soften that. :whiner:

:hawk
you're dadgum right, soxnut !!
that's no b.s.