PDA

View Full Version : Sox have 2 of top 10 all-time brawls

thecell
04-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Anyone have any favorite Sox brawls? Here's a list of the all-time top 10 according to ESPN...

Click here (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/basebrawl.html)

chunk
04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
The Sox - Tigers one was great. I remember watching that game with some friends. I didn't have cable back then, but a friend did. I can still remember that there was one guy in the stands shouting at the top of his lungs, and you could hear him perfectly.

Tavarin
04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
and one of their Minor league teams has another :)

duke of dorwood
04-24-2003, 08:42 PM
I remember a great fight the Sox were in with Bart Johnson the main attraction. Cant remember who it was against

TornLabrum
04-24-2003, 08:44 PM
I can't believe they left out the best Sox brawl of all time. Sox vs. the Yankees in June of 1957. Art Ditmar was pitching for the Yankees. He brushed back Larry Doby. Doby yelled something at Ditmar and Ditmar shouted back a racial epithet. Doby charged Ditmar and the benches cleared.

The highlight was Walt "Moose" Dropo pummelling Enos Slaughter after Slaughter (according to Billy Pierce) scratched his face with his fingernails. The initial fight lasted about 20-25 minutes and just when the benches cleared, somebody (I think Whitey Ford) shouted something and it started all over again for another 15-20 minutes.

I can still see Slaughter walking back to the dugout with his shirt ripped off his back and his hat askew. The only reason I could see him was because my dad was holding me on his shoulders.

The cool part for me is that I was also at the game with the brawl with the Tigers.

doublem23
04-24-2003, 08:53 PM
My favorite was still... :nolanventura

MarqSox
04-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Anyone else notice the cheap shot in the caption under the Sox/Tigers brawl picture?

"Man, these teams can't even win a fight."

That's just unnecessary, not to mention dumb ... apparently whoever wrote that doesn't remember the playoff alignment from that season. :angry:

WinningUgly!
04-24-2003, 09:24 PM
June 20, 1980: White Sox reliever Ed Farmer swears he will take criminal action against Detroit's Al Cowens following an on-field brawl in Chicago. Cowens hit a grounder to SS, and then charged the mound instead of running to 1B. The action stemmed from an incident a year earlier when a Farmer pitch shattered Cowens' jaw. American League prexy Lee MacPhail will suspend Cowens for seven games. The Tigers win 53 in 11 innings.

Procol Harum
04-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Anyone else notice the cheap shot in the caption under the Sox/Tigers brawl picture?

"Man, these teams can't even win a fight."

That's just unnecessary, not to mention dumb ... apparently whoever wrote that doesn't remember the playoff alignment from that season. :angry:

Yeah, it was a cheap shot--but you can forgive folks who are fans of other teams for not remembering the outcomes of particular Sox seasons--they don't stick in their minds the way they do in ours--we cling to the successful ones exactly because they're so stinkin' few and far between. :angry:

Procol Harum
04-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Sheesh, W.U.--I had plum forgotten about the Farmer/Cowens mix-up--that one was an attention-getter.

T Dog
04-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
June 20, 1980: White Sox reliever Ed Farmer swears he will take criminal action against Detroit's Al Cowens following an on-field brawl in Chicago. Cowens hit a grounder to SS, and then charged the mound instead of running to 1B. The action stemmed from an incident a year earlier when a Farmer pitch shattered Cowens' jaw. American League prexy Lee MacPhail will suspend Cowens for seven games. The Tigers win 53 in 11 innings.

Just 23 years later, Al Cowens is dead.

LuvSox
04-24-2003, 11:42 PM
It wan't much of a fight, but I remember Mark Whitten getting the best of Jack McDowell.

MHOUSE
04-25-2003, 12:40 AM
I haven't been watching the Sox for more than the last 3 years so I haven't seen any brawls but for Sportscenter replays.

My top two brawls:
1) Brad Miller vs. Shaq 2002 NBA
- Shaq throws two roundhouse punches at Miller before the benches clear and there's a pileup in the front row. Miller, Shaq, Oakley all tossed.

2) Aston Villa vs. Birmingham 02-03 English Premier League Soccer
- local rivals clash after a head-butt on Robbie Savage results in a red card and brawl, then a two-footed challenged gets Joey Gudjonsson sent off and another brawl ensues. Villa goalkeeper Peter Enkleman lets one through his legs for the second time this season against Birmingham and fans invade the pitch to taunt him and also brawl in the stands. You all thought the Cell was rough! :D:

Lip Man 1
04-25-2003, 12:48 AM
GREATEST SOX FIGHT EVER

With respect ESPN blew it completely (probably because nobody who works there was even alive when theis happened!)

June 1957 Yankees at Sox

The photographs remain among the most compelling ever in baseball even today.

In the first inning Yankee pitcher Art Ditmar threw at the head of Sox outfielder Larry Doby. As the pitch rolled to the screen and Ditmar ran to cover home Doby "warned" him about doing it again. Ditmar told Doby where he could go and according to accounts may have added a few racial remarks.

Doby exploded throwing a left hook that nailed Ditmar. Both dugouts emptied with the brawl (and that's exactly what it was) lasting a full thirty minutes.

Bill Skowron leaped on Doby which brought out the Sox Walt "Moose" Dropo who was 6-5 or so... just a monster for the time. At various times Whitey Ford, Casey Stengel, "Jungle" Jim Rivera, And Enos "Country" Slaughter were in the middle of things.

Slaughter had his jersey torn to shreads on the field with his hat knocked sideways. After things settled down Billy Martin rushed Doby from the blind side and got his punches in.

Four players were ejected. The next day Sox management person John Rigney was quoted as saying "The Yankees have been bullying their opponents long enough, I'm glad it happened." Chuck Comiskey was quoted as saying "There are two sets of rules in the league, one for the Yankees and another for everybody else."

You can see pictures of this brawl in the book "Minnie And The Mick" by Bob Vanderberg.

Lip

thecell
04-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Not sure what year it was, probably early 90's at the new Comiskey. The Sox were playing Oakland and a great brawl ensued. These were the days of the AL West and Oakland was the team to beat. I'm not sure how it started, but the thing that really sticks out in my mind was when LaRussa threw a bat on the screen behind homeplate...what a great childhood memory.

Hangar18
04-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I remember a great fight the Sox were in with Bart Johnson the main attraction. Cant remember who it was against

Man I REMEMBER THIS ONE. it was 1977, Sox were in the Heat of a pennant race with the KcRoyals. They were at KC, and batter hit a grounder to the first baseman, the late Jim Spencer.
Spencer got the ball and tossed it to Bart Johnson, covering 1st, when the runner flat out shoved Johnson in the back. Bart didnt like that and turned around and threw a punch and the Brawl started!

LuvSox
04-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Ahh, that's right. WGN has that video on their '77 tribute.

Banix12
04-25-2003, 10:56 AM
My favorites were more of a series of fights. I used to go to a lot of sox-brewers games in the early ninties (often going up up to county stadium) and i swear they fought everytime I went to a game. Especially in the short time George Bell was here. I can remember a few times he would go pummel Jaime Navarro and in retrospect it may have been the only thing good that George Bell did.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2003, 12:06 PM
The Royals player was the late Darrell Porter but LATER in the game it was better.

Before Porter got in the box the next time up Johnson walked partially down off the mound and asked him "do you want it now?"

Another brawl started!

Lip

brewcrew/chisox
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Banix12
My favorites were more of a series of fights. I used to go to a lot of sox-brewers games in the early ninties (often going up up to county stadium) and i swear they fought everytime I went to a game. Especially in the short time George Bell was here. I can remember a few times he would go pummel Jaime Navarro and in retrospect it may have been the only thing good that George Bell did.

Brewer sox Games were classic Beer and Brawl fests, both on the field and in the stands. My father was a Milwaukee police officer in the late 1970's and 80's and in those days City cops acted as security at County Stadium. I remember him coming home from Brewer/Sox games just reeking of beer.......cuts and bruises from trying to break up the fights.....He hated working those games

Then there was the 90's with Garner coaching the Brewers....Albert Bell bowling over Jose Valentine (or was it Vina..I forget) on a double play ball.....I don't think it is a mere coincidence that some classic Brawls between Detroit and the Sox occured after Garner left the Brewers for the Tigers. You know he still carried a grudge.