PDA

View Full Version : Cub fan throws cellphone at Padre...

DrCrawdad
04-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Will the Cubune run photos of the offender? Will the Cubune interview the offender on the news with a banner at the bottom of the screen saying, "Cub fan".

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Is this a serious post, or a joke? Anyone got a link?

WhiteSoxWinner
04-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Will the Cubune run photos of the offender?

Probably not.

Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Will the Cubune interview the offender on the news with a banner at the bottom of the screen saying, "Cub fan".

No, they will probably run something like baseball fan, or rowdy fan. God forbid that one of the lovable loser that attend the park should do something like this.

As a note, this is the second cell phone incident this week. What will all the Scrubie fans do if MLB bans cell phones from being brought into the park? They may actually have to watch the game and pay attention. What horrors!!!

LetsGoSox_1
04-24-2003, 07:03 PM
I think this is for real. I heard it on the radio. I'm sure the Cubune will just ignore it, or blame a Sox fan somehow for the incident.

T Dog
04-24-2003, 07:06 PM
When I heard about this, a though crossed my mind.

Maybe the Legislature should ban throwing of foreign objects -- cell phones, trimline phones, 1950s-style pay phones -- onto the field. If for some reason, fans threw baseballs onto the field, maybe that should be worth mandatory jail time as well.

DrCrawdad
04-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Is this a serious post, or a joke? Anyone got a link?

Completely serious. It was reported on ESPN AM 1000 just after the game ended.

siugrad25
04-24-2003, 07:25 PM
The perks of working for a newspaper:

By The Associated Press

CHICAGO — San Diego Padres third basemen Sean Burroughs said he was hit by a cell phone thrown from the stands at Wrigley Field during Thursday’s game.
Burroughs said the phone hit him in the right foot shortly after the Cubs’ Mark Grudzielanek grounded out in the bottom of the eighth inning.
“It shocked me,” Burroughs said. “It could have been worse, it could have hit me in the head.”
He blamed immature fans.
“They are going to rag you a little bit,” Burroughs said. “But I was a little surprised to see an object come on the field. That’s uncalled for.”
The Cubs said no one was arrested but that a police report had been filed. The team said the report indicated no one was hit by the phone.
Burroughs said it “barely hit me.” He said he then picked it up and handed it to one of the umpires. He expressed hope the phone could be tracked back to the fan who threw it.
Five days earlier, Texas Rangers right fielder Carl Everett was beaned in the back of the head with a cell phone in Oakland.
On April 15, a fan ran on the field at U.S. Cellular Field and attempted to tackle an umpire during a game between the White Sox and visiting Kansas City. Last Sept. 19, Kansas City coach Tom Gamboa was attacked by a father and son who came out of the stands at the same stadium, then called Comiskey Park.

ode to veeck
04-24-2003, 07:28 PM
If for some reason, fans threw baseballs onto the field, maybe that should be worth mandatory jail time as well

It has been an arrestable offense here in California for some time, most publically noted during the Cubs-Giants NLCS series in '89 when Giants fans were arrested who returned Flubbie HR balls to the field of play at Candlestick

Tavarin
04-24-2003, 07:32 PM
And the Cubs couldn't even catch the idiot... stupid Cubs fans

T Dog
04-24-2003, 07:35 PM
It's just as well. The ushers would have blamed someone who was innocent but had the good taste to wear a Sox hat.

duke of dorwood
04-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Official Tribune Stance

"It was a migratory bird that comes thru here once a year and resembles a cell phone"

doublem23
04-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Here's the link, if anyone still needs it. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0424/1544247.html)

Herbal
04-24-2003, 09:52 PM
So far, the Cubune online has picked up the AP story that's posted above. We'll see about tomorrow.

MHOUSE
04-25-2003, 01:14 AM
Cubune will overlook it. Since no one was caught and it "barely hit him" then it won't matter to them. Did anyone see the "When fans attack" article in Sport Illustrated. It looked like 9-11 with people crying and bleeding and chaos. How bogus! I still thought it was hilarious when it rained beer bottles at that Cleveland Browns game two years ago IIRC. That was funny to see. Burroughs should have gone down clutching his leg and been stretchered off just to make a point. No hiding from that.

Banix12
04-25-2003, 01:55 AM
I just kinda find it funny that these idiots keep throwing things that can most likely be traced back to them.

npdempse
04-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Cubune will overlook it.

A bit hard to overlook this one...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030424cubscellphone,1,2909178.story?coll=cs%2Dhome %2Dheadlines

cheeses_h_rice
04-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Paul Sullivan wrote a lengthy article about the cell phone incident in today's Cubune. The world is right.

moochpuppy
04-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Can you hear me now?

Hangar18
04-25-2003, 11:47 AM
how dumb is that? to throw a cellphone? Unless it wa a Verizon phone, they suck. THink im going to take one of my license plates off my Car and Throw That tonite at a Twin......

voodoochile
04-25-2003, 11:54 AM
On ESPN they quoted the guy who threw the phone that it was his buddies phone. He wasn't throwing it at the Padre, merely getting rid of the phone - which wouldn't stop ringing. I just found it amusing. Even if it's true, where has this guy been living the last week or so, Mars?

Daver
04-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
how dumb is that? to throw a cellphone? Unless it wa a Verizon phone, they suck. THink im going to take one of my license plates off my Car and Throw That tonite at a Twin......

Throw the whole car.........

That would be impressive.

:redneck

balz1472
04-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Did anyone else notice that they always drop this one in there:

"Alcohol contributed to Alvarado's behavior, Casanova said."
-espn.com

WHAT IDIOT THROWS A CELL PHONE ANYWHERE?