PDA

View Full Version : Bud Selig Stepping Down...

WhiteSoxWinner
04-24-2003, 06:36 PM
...in 2006!!

Now let the speculation begin as to who will succeed him. I am assuming there is no hope of getting an independent third party in here. I'm sure it will be be another toadie of the owners. Heck, we could continue the trend and get another owner in there on an "interim" basis.

:reinsy

OH, OH!!!! Pick me!! Pick me!!

In all seriousness, who would be a good candidate? I know a few years ago, people were mentioning Bob Costas as a student of the game who wasn't necessarily connected to either group. Any other ideas?

Bud leaving in 2006 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0424/1544115.html)

MetalliSox
04-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Let the Bob Costas rumors begin!

Ol Aches & Pains
04-24-2003, 07:17 PM
I heard Costas on the radio recently talking about what ails baseball, and he made more sense in 10 minutes than Selig has in 10 years.

MetalliSox
04-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
I heard Costas on the radio recently talking about what ails baseball, and he made more sense in 10 minutes than Selig has in 10 years.

I loved hearing Costas talk baseball politics on his HBO show. Hope that show starts up again. I liked it a lot.

It would take some time, but Costas could get things straightened out.

Daver
04-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I loved hearing Costas talk baseball politics on his HBO show. Hope that show starts up again. I liked it a lot.

It would take some time, but Costas could get things straightened out.

The owners will put another puppet in charge,trust me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the yes man Bob Dupuy got the job.

whitesoxwilkes
04-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

Saw a teaser for it on HBO the other night. It'll be back soon.

What about (if for some reason he doesn't get re-elected) making Bush the commissioner of baseball?

Daver
04-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

What about (if for some reason he doesn't get re-elected) making Bush the commissioner of baseball?

He'd be a bigger puppet than Bud was.

Baseball needs an autonomous commisioner,but it won't happen.

jortafan
04-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

I have my biases against Bush, I'll admit. But he would be a mistake as commissioner.

Regardless of what one thinks of Bush, he's still a former owner. That's too much of a bias to overcome. If you want to go that route, you might as well put JR as commissioner.

Procol Harum
04-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Some of you apparently don't understand the new zeitgeist--you ain't gonna get anybody but a puppet of the owners from here on in. That was all taken care of when they dusted Fay Vincent. The owners had finally decided that, since they owned the product, there was no way they would ever again put up with a "neutral" office of commissioner. When you look at it the arrangement makes business and proprietary sense (reflecting the nature of the position in all the other major sports), the real problem is that baseball owners are such a bunch of knobs that you can't count on them to make the simplest of wise choices. The old "judicial" model was nice while it lasted...