PDA

View Full Version : The Royals Are For Real

hold2dibber
04-24-2003, 03:19 PM
The Royals beat the Twins again today, 2-1. I actually found myself routing for the Twins (something I couldn't have imagined 3 weeks ago). They're now 16-3. I know Cleveland started 11-1 (or something like that) last year and then tanked, but I think this is different. I hereby declare that the Royals are for real. I'm not saying they're going to win 110 games, but I think they're going to be in the thick of things all year.

ma-gaga
04-24-2003, 03:24 PM
grumble... grumble...

I think you're right. Rany has a good article @ BP giving the magic cutoff point as 30 games. If the Royals have 23+ wins at that point, they are 90% likely to make the playoffs...

grumble... grumble...

CHISOXFAN13
04-24-2003, 03:25 PM
I agree, and while we are at it, I don't think the Twins will be in the thick of things.

They might have the worst offense in the league. Nice fundamentals by Mientkiewicz to get the runner over to third wiith less than two outs. This guy is an average player at best, and I'm tired of hearing him chirp.

We need a win toniht and at least two this weekend.

moochpuppy
04-24-2003, 03:26 PM
The Royals have a very young and inexperienced pitching staff and as WE ALL KNOW, this type of pitching staff can be very inconsistant. Wait till teams start facing the Royals a second time around (just like what happened with the Sox).

BTW, if you take out the Tigers from the Twins early schedule, they would be 3-12. :smile:

StepsInSC
04-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Well on the bright side 66% of their losses are from the Sox...but I hate having to rely on the Sox beating the Royals for the rest of the season to take the title.

moochpuppy
04-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

They might have the worst offense in the league. Nice fundamentals by Mientkiewicz to get the runner over to third wiith less than two outs. This guy is an average player at best, and I'm tired of hearing him chirp.

The first baseman for the Twins should be Todd Sears or Michael Restovich.

MetalliSox
04-24-2003, 03:30 PM
The Royals, like us, have a bunch of game vs. West Coast teams coming up. I hope the Royals are for real and compete. Sweeny is a hard nosed player who is hard to hate...when he isn't playing us.
I love seeing MientkaBITCH batting .220

for the Twins. This guy has no place to open his mouth on anything. So what if he can scoop some balls out at first and make a stretch. I did that all the time in high school.

BTW...can we keep Baines out of the dugout? Maybe his boring erray rubbed off on us yesterday.

Chisox353014
04-24-2003, 03:30 PM
With each passing day, I'm tending to agree with you more. Yeah, 10 of their 16 wins are against the Jndjans and Tigers, but they're also 4-2 against us and 2-0 against the Twinkies. Hopefully they will cool off a bit on the road against teams from the East. Their next 9 games are at Toronto, Boston and Baltimore.

HawkDJ
04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
I still don't think they are for real as contenders. They might be contenders just as a result of how bad the AL Central is doing but that is all. If Koch could've held a game and we played some good defense we would've taken 2 out of 3 from them on the road and we already have taken 2 out of 3 from them at home. They can only ride this intensity for so long and eventually they will tire out since they are so young.

TheBigHurt
04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
IM not to sure if ill ever think the Royals are for real

MHOUSE
04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
They seem to have a lot of homefield advantage. I think they're going to compete, but they can't keep up winning at this pace forever. They have to cool off. They just have to.....

Chisox353014
04-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
The Royals have a very young and inexperienced pitching staff and as WE ALL KNOW, this type of pitching staff can be very inconsistant. Wait till teams start facing the Royals a second time around (just like what happened with the Sox).

BTW, if you take out the Tigers from the Twins early schedule, they would be 3-12. :smile:

True, but do the same for the Sox and we're only 7-8. We've also lost 3 times to Cleveland already.

moochpuppy
04-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
With each passing day, I'm tending to agree with you more. Yeah, 10 of their 16 wins are against the Jndjans and Tigers, but they're also 4-2 against us and 2-0 against the Twinkies.

3-0 against the Sox first time around
1-2 second time seeing their pitching (should have been 0-3)

The Twinkies are 3-12 against the league and 6-0 against the Tigers.

The Royals will be lucky to finish above .500.

CHISOXFAN13
04-24-2003, 03:40 PM
A problem for the Royals later on is going to be that they have three games to make up already. That can reeally tax a pitching staff.

delben91
04-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
They seem to have a lot of homefield advantage. I think they're going to compete, but they can't keep up winning at this pace forever. They have to cool off. They just have to.....

I agree with that. No team wins at an 85% clip consistently, over the course of a full season. I can definitely see the royals playing close to .600 ball for the season, if, and this is a huge if, their young pitching stays at it's current level.

At the same time, I can see the Sox continuing to be around the 3-7 over .500 mark as long as the bats stay comatose. The royals will cool off some, but the Sox have to pick it up a notch.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 03:42 PM
The Royals are doing the same thing the SOX did in 2000.
and Unfortuneately for us, if we keep slooowwwly slipping back like were doing, it wont matter what we do after this. The Royals will simply have to play .500 the rest of the way to Clinch the Central. Isnt it nice knowing 3 of the games we blew are hurting us already.....

Kilroy
04-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Isnt it nice knowing 3 of the games we blew are hurting us already.....

Man oh man, step back from the ledge. We still have 13 left with KC, and last time we saw them, we got the better end of things, remember?

Let's just hope that Minnesota shows up tomorrow and gets that last game. I don't want them coming in here fresh off getting swept with the bad blood that's already there between them and the Sox. Let them get that last game and feel better before they come to our house and get bitch-slapped...

jlh221fan
04-24-2003, 04:10 PM
I'd wait several more weeks before saying they're real. They've played great, no doubt, but still haven't played outside of the division yet.

Unregistered
04-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Let's just hope that Minnesota shows up tomorrow and gets that last game. I don't want them coming in here fresh off getting swept with the bad blood that's already there between them and the Sox. Let them get that last game and feel better before they come to our house and get bitch-slapped... Actually, we play them tomorrow. They were rained out yesterday which shortened the series to just 2 games. Which means they were swept.
That being said, this is an interesting tidbit... "In every series this year, the Twins have either swept or been swept." Not to say that this trend will continue, but just in case, lets hope for a White Sox winner on Friday...

Chisox353014
04-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Man oh man, step back from the ledge. We still have 13 left with KC, and last time we saw them, we got the better end of things, remember?

Let's just hope that Minnesota shows up tomorrow and gets that last game. I don't want them coming in here fresh off getting swept with the bad blood that's already there between them and the Sox. Let them get that last game and feel better before they come to our house and get bitch-slapped...

:?: The Twins are in town tomorrow night. Looks like they'll still be feeling bad when they get biatch-slapped. :D:

jeremyb1
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Royals are doing the same thing the SOX did in 2000.
and Unfortuneately for us, if we keep slooowwwly slipping back like were doing, it wont matter what we do after this. The Royals will simply have to play .500 the rest of the way to Clinch the Central. Isnt it nice knowing 3 of the games we blew are hurting us already.....

i disagree. the sox competed in '00 largely because of the improvement of young hitters (maggs, paully, carlos) and career years from pitchers that had been around the league a while such as sirotka, baldwin, and eldred.

i think everyone needs to take a step back for a second and remind themselves that the royals are being propelled by veteran hitters on hot streaks (brent mayne, joe randa) and an unproven rotation (hernandez, affeldt, george, et al).

i pray to god the royals are our main competition to make the playoffs. if that's the case i'd say we're sitting pretty.

hold2dibber
04-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i disagree. the sox competed in '00 largely because of the improvement of young hitters (maggs, paully, carlos) and career years from pitchers that had been around the league a while such as sirotka, baldwin, and eldred.

i think everyone needs to take a step back for a second and remind themselves that the royals are being propelled by veteran hitters on hot streaks (brent mayne, joe randa) and an unproven rotation (hernandez, affeldt, george, et al).

i pray to god the royals are our main competition to make the playoffs. if that's the case i'd say we're sitting pretty.

It's true that they have gotten unexpected contributions from Mayne and more than expected from Randa. But Sweeney hasn't gotten hot yet and Beltran was injured until recently. Harvey looks like the real deal to me. They have a pretty good offense, I think.

The pitching is a huge question mark. But with each passing week, their performance seems less fluky to me. No one has ever questioned the talent of their pitching - just their inexperience. As they continue to perform well, it becomes more and more apparent that their talent has blossomed.

Again, I don't think they're a 100 win team, all I'm saying is, I think there's a good chance that they are an 85-90 win team, which is exactly what I think the Sox are.

gosox41
04-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I agree, and while we are at it, I don't think the Twins will be in the thick of things.

We need a win toniht and at least two this weekend.

I refuse to count Minnesota out of it at all. They're obviosuly very streaky and they'll get things going before long. When KC plays Min, I am rooting against the Twins. Maybe later in the year things will change. I have a feeling that the Sox and Twins will wind up with a better record then the Royals.

Bob

TheBigHurt
04-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I have a feeling that the Sox and Twins will wind up with a better record then the Royals.

Bob

YUP, so do I...........

BE GOOD

Chisox_cali
04-24-2003, 05:27 PM
When the Royals take series' from the Red Sox, Yankees, A's, M's, and Angels, I'll take them for real, and not a second before.

WhiteSox = Life
04-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I have a feeling that the Sox and Twins will wind up with a better record then the Royals.

Combined, right?

:D:

Frankly, I would love to see the AL Central be a tough, competitive 3-team race. Everybody plays off the AL Central as the easiest in baseball. It would be really exciting to have a really tight race down the stretch.

The Royals, the Twins and the White Sox all have question marks.
The Royals have gotten off to a fast start, can they maintain it?
Can the Twins beat anybody but the Tigers? (This isn't the best question on the eve of the first series between the White Sox and the Twins, but, I digress.)
Can the White Sox offense get going?

There are a lot of other questions, too, but those are the main ones for now. I like the Royals and wish them nothing but luck, but, one thing remains the same: I want the White Sox to win the AL Central and way beyond, too. But, if not the White Sox, then the Royals.

Here's to a fantastic playoff race! It's off to a pretty good start!

:gulp:

siugrad25
04-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Right now, K.C. is playing fantastic baseball. Period. But in April I more worry about the Sox winning than what Kansas City or Minnesota or the Cubs are doing. If the Royals are playing at this level in say June, then us as Sox fans will have another team to worry about. Until then, we got one more against the O's and a big series against the Twinkies that scare me more than Runelvys Hernandez and Joe Randa...

LetsGoSox_1
04-24-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm not sold on the Royals yet until they prove themselves against teams like the Yankees, A's, and Red Sox. I know they swept us to open the season, but we nearly swept them, and beat on them pretty good in the final game of that serie at The Cell. I try not to worry too much about any other team other than us until later in the season, though.

:gulp: Now let's win this series and beat those Twinkies!

lowesox
04-24-2003, 06:37 PM
In a month from now the Twins will be for real, and the Royals will be bottom feeders again.

MHOUSE
04-25-2003, 12:22 AM
It would be nice to win the Central and not have there be 4 other sub .500 teams as competition. If we can beat out a tough Royals team, the defending central champion Twins, and even the Tribe then I would feel a lot better about our team than if we beat a division of AAA teams. Of course we need to win some ourselves. but competition is nice.