PDA

View Full Version : Replay In Baseball?

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Should there be replay in baseball?

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 11:04 AM
I think that baseball should use replay for the following situations.

1)Fair or foul - not just home runs either. If the umps aren't sure, they can consult the TV replay.

2)Safe or out - all bases - not just home.

3)Catch or no catch.

4)Fan interference - homeruns only.

In all situations, they would have to have conclusive proof to overturn the decision.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Yes, The Quality of umpiring has gotten worse over the years. Used to be maybe once a year, you'd see a bad call. Now theres like 10 a year at least. I wish I could remember the umpire, during a cub game, call went against them, but was A Very Good Call, somewhat Recently. That Umpire deserves a pat on the back.

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
No, never. Replay in baseball would be a terrible idea. Within a couple of years you would have what they have in the NFL. Umpires not even making calls, just immediately going to the replay booth to review what is going on.

Besides it would probably make the average game about three and half hours long. Baseball games are too long to begin with.

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
No, never. Replay in baseball would be a terrible idea. Within a couple of years you would have what they have in the NFL. Umpires not even making calls, just immediately going to the replay booth to review what is going on.

Besides it would probably make the average game about three and half hours long. Baseball games are too long to begin with.

Actually, if you limit the number of things that can be replayed, it wouldn't be that bad. I don't think they should review every checked swing or called strike/ball. You could even combine a couple of these ideas. Limited things to review AND limited number of reviews per game (2 per side should do it, IMO). Last night for example, there was only two reviewable calls that I saw - the HR/foulball and Jimenez at second. I didn't see conclusive proof on the Jimenez call, because I couldn't tell when the glove touched him from the angle they showed us. The HR was clearly a HR and could have been overturned.

If you put a two minute limit on review time then the maximum that would be added to the game would be about 10 minutes - 4 2 minute reviews and 1/2-minute apiece to get to the TV for the review. Seems pretty simple to me.

bfauble83
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Only for fair/foul, and only for homeruns.

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Still, if you limit the amount of reviews coaches can make, are you still going to limit the amount of reviews refs can make? Limiting reviews is not a good idea. Look at the NFL. Have games gotten shorter with limiting reviews? No, they keep getting longer and longer.

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Still, if you limit the amount of reviews coaches can make, are you still going to limit the amount of reviews refs can make? Limiting reviews is not a good idea. Look at the NFL. Have games gotten shorter with limiting reviews? No, they keep getting longer and longer.

Actually, NFL times are way down from a decade ago. They used to go 3:30-3:45 all the time. Now most of them are less than 3:15.

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Actually, NFL times are way down from a decade ago.

I'll take your word for it, but after sitting through:

"There's a timeout"

"Where?"

"On the field"

"Ohhh"

a few thousand times at every Bears game last year, I would have to dispute that they're considerably shorter. :)

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 11:30 AM
I'll take your word for it, but after sitting through:

"There's a timeout"

"Where?"

"On the field"

"Ohhh"

a few thousand times at every Bears game last year, I would have to dispute that they're considerably shorter. :)

Jim Rebanks is hilariousn with his pauses - that has been going on for years, but not the responses from the crowd. College students are used to call and response style cheers. That never happened at SF in the 15+ years I've had tickets.

Football games are shorter because of other rules - like the 40 second play clock. Replay has lengthened the game again, but not to the levels it was pre-rule changes.

LetsGoSox_1
04-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by bfauble83
Only for fair/foul, and only for homeruns.

I 110% agree. Reply for homerun and fair/foul calls would be fine with me. :)

Iwritecode
04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think that baseball should use replay for the following situations.

1)Fair or foul - not just home runs either. If the umps aren't sure, they can consult the TV replay.

2)Safe or out - all bases - not just home.

3)Catch or no catch.

4)Fan interference - homeruns only.

In all situations, they would have to have conclusive proof to overturn the decision.

If you are going to have replays for homeruns they should have it for the parks that have that stupid yellow line on the top of the walls in the outfield. I remember last year? when Maggs hit that homerun in Jacobs field and you could actually HEAR it hit the railing, which clearly made it a homerun. Instead the umps said it bounced off the wall and back on to the field and was playable...

Daver
04-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Should there be replay in baseball?

No.

Iwritecode
04-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
No.

C'mon Daver, tell us how you really feel...

:smile:

thecell
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
No replays whatsoever. There are 4 umpires on the field who should be able to make a correct call. The umpires should be held more accountable for screwing up calls.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
If you are going to have replays for homeruns they should have it for the parks that have that stupid yellow line on the top of the walls in the outfield. I remember last year? when Maggs hit that homerun in Jacobs field and you could actually HEAR it hit the railing, which clearly made it a homerun. Instead the umps said it bounced off the wall and back on to the field and was playable...

That Call was TERRIBLE ALSO. A fan actually CAUGHT that ball, and bobbled it, and went back on the field (off the railing). Last time, the seats in the LF Stands at the Jake were considered HomeRuns. that was a bad call. Anyone know who THAT UMPIRE WAS????? to this day, I look at Maggs stats and I add 1 more HR to his totals. Same with Mark McGuire. rmember that HR in County Stadium? fan again bobbled it, and went on the field, and they said it was a double?? ANyone know who that Umpire Is??

TheBigHurt
04-24-2003, 01:28 PM
NO, becuase baseball is based on a eye view, and it should always be like that

Nixey 02
04-24-2003, 02:15 PM
never, ever.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-24-2003, 02:59 PM
well, i dont think there are actually that many. its just when one happens it really sticks out. replay would work for hr's and fouls, but nothing else. definitley no strike calls.

what about all the good calls the umps make?

StepsInSC
04-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
NO, becuase baseball is based on a eye view, and it should always be like that

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

MHOUSE
04-24-2003, 03:09 PM
How about each team gets one review per game on anything that they want? Safe/out, fair/foul, homeruns, etc. Everything except balls/strikes because I think that should always be up to the umpire.

WhiteSox = Life
04-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Everytime there is a blown call, people cry out for replay. The easy way out for MLB would be for replay. MLB already has umpiring machines that are used to test an umpire's calls.

Umpires are as human as you or me, and they're going to blow calls. Every sport has blown calls. That can't be helped. While I would like to have all the plays, good or bad, called correctly, if four umpires can't get the call right, then, well, what are you going to do?

Institute replay and soon umpires are going to die and all officiating is going to be replaced by machines.

Of course, that's not true, either. However, baseball's always been about a game of inches and a game of perception - the fans, the players and the umpires. Keep it that way.

But, how about a fifth umpire: one who patrols the outfield to make calls? Not only home run calls, but whether catches are good or not, etc.

Just a thought among my thoughts.