PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have some pitching...where is the offense?

South Sider
04-24-2003, 02:31 AM
You like statistics ?
Then look at this

Total numbers of runs scored by the Sox after 21 games

Year 2000 (Playoff Year) = 160
Year 2001 = 95
Year 2002 = 140
This Year = 101 !!!!!

It looks like that the offense rely too much on the pitching staff.
Everone knew that we had an average pitching staff in the last 3-4 years. So the offense stood up and won the games for us in the past.

Now that we finally start pitching strong (most times....when Garland is not on the mount) the offense is not showing up.

And finally

It looks like that everytime our starting pitcher give up some runs and we trail in the game the offense could not come back and win the game for our pitcher(s)! Comeback Kids????............I think not (anymore).

I remember only one game (vs the Tribe on April 8th) where we come back from a 2 run deficit in the next half inning and won the game in the 10th.

It might be early, but for now we are just an average team (again). The potential is there for sure. Now get it done mentally

Greetings from a very tired sox fan from Berlin/Germany

hold2dibber
04-24-2003, 07:49 AM
The offense is anemic right now. No one is hot. I still think that the team will score a lot of runs during the course of the season, but it seems like this is a feast or famine offense the last few years, which is incredibly frustrating. These hitters are too good to keep scuffling for too long - hopefully the starting pitching (which has been pretty good, overall) will continue to keep the team in games so that when the offense starts firing on all cylanders, the team can string together a bunch of wins and make up some ground on the Royals.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2003, 11:26 AM
That's been a real problem with this franchise since the early 90's. When they had pitching they never had enough hitting (re: 1993) when they had hitting they never had pitching (re:2000).

Complicating the issue is the fact that the Sox "budget restraints" don't allow them to correct the issue the easiest way by buying what they need or at least acquiring depth.

Lip

Foulke You
04-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The offense is anemic right now. No one is hot. I still think that the team will score a lot of runs during the course of the season, but it seems like this is a feast or famine offense the last few years, which is incredibly frustrating. These hitters are too good to keep scuffling for too long - hopefully the starting pitching (which has been pretty good, overall) will continue to keep the team in games so that when the offense starts firing on all cylanders, the team can string together a bunch of wins and make up some ground on the Royals.

I think you hit it on the head Dibber. Our offense has been pretty sick most of the season and especially bad the last 4 games. 4 runs Sunday, 2 runs Monday, 3 runs Tuesday, 1 (should've been 3) run yesterday. Valentin has gone into a funk, Konerko has been slumping all year, Frank and Maggs aren't locked in yet and we are still right in the thick of things at 12W-9L and the Twins still struggling. The most maddening thing about our offense is the lack of timely hitting. First and third with no outs and we'll find a way to get out of the inning without a run scoring this year. Hopefully, our pitching will be good when the offense and timely hitting finally gets going.

mack10zie
04-24-2003, 01:32 PM
My school of thought on this situation is this. The offense hasn't shown up so far this season, but that only makes our 12-9 record look that much better. The offense has too many talented hitters NOT to be in the top 5 or 6 in the league in scoring, and I strongly believe that the offense will come around and put up some solid numbers. If and when that happens, if our pitchers can keep going at a stea

mack10zie
04-24-2003, 01:34 PM
My school of thought on this situation is this. The offense hasn't shown up so far this season, but that only makes our 12-9 record look that much better. The offense has too many talented hitters NOT to be in the top 5 or 6 in the league in scoring, and I strongly believe that the offense will come around and put up some solid numbers. If and when that happens, if our pitchers can keep pitching the way they have as an aggregate (yeah, we can expect Loaiza to do a little worse, but Colon, Koch, and mayb even Garland to do a little better) then we should go on a nice run and hopefully catch the Royals, pass them, and put some distance between us and whoever is in 2nd before the last month of the season rolls around. We'll see, but given our lack of hitting, I'm pleased with the record, while being pissed at the hitting.

SoxxoS
04-24-2003, 01:59 PM
The problem is the lineup. When we have people hitting, JM should put those players together the best he can. For example-

Jimenez-Hitting well
Valentin-Hitting well
Thomas-Couldn't hit grass if he fell off a lawnmower.
Ordonez-Hitting Well
Konerko-Couldn't hit the backside of a barn
Lee-Hitting well
Crede-Slumping
Rowand-Couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat.
Alomar-Hitting well/Olivo-Not hitting well.

So we have too many rally killers in the lineup currently. Their are too many automatic outs. Put these guys ego's aside. If they aren't hitting, slip them down the order. It should be-

Jimenez
Valentin
Ordonez
Lee
Crede
Thomas
Konerko
Rios (Ive had enough of Rowand. Something isn't right.)
Alomar/Paul

And maybe, just mayb,e if Daubach would get one hit (just one) he could start relieving some of these slumping players.
How many hits do Daubach, Konerko, Rowand and Olivo have combined. I don't know, but I would venture to guess around 15. Out of about 150 at bats.

MisterB
04-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The problem is the lineup. When we have people hitting, JM should put those players together the best he can. For example-

Jimenez-Hitting well
Valentin-Hitting well
Thomas-Couldn't hit grass if he fell off a lawnmower.
Ordonez-Hitting Well
Konerko-Couldn't hit the backside of a barn
Lee-Hitting well
Crede-Slumping
Rowand-Couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat.
Alomar-Hitting well/Olivo-Not hitting well.

So we have too many rally killers in the lineup currently. Their are too many automatic outs. Put these guys ego's aside. If they aren't hitting, slip them down the order. It should be-

Jimenez
Valentin
Ordonez
Lee
Crede
Thomas
Konerko
Rios (Ive had enough of Rowand. Something isn't right.)
Alomar/Paul

And maybe, just mayb,e if Daubach would get one hit (just one) he could start relieving some of these slumping players.
How many hits do Daubach, Konerko, Rowand and Olivo have combined. I don't know, but I would venture to guess around 15. Out of about 150 at bats.

*tinker*tinker*tinker* :smile: