PDA

View Full Version : Fire Gary Ward

lowesox
04-23-2003, 11:31 PM
The WhiteSox offense has been so inconsistent this year. They've shown no ability to put together any kind of meaningful rally when they need one. This is a team full of great hitters - 80% of whom are underachieving. Maybe its not Ward's fault, but management should be sending a message to this offense - the earlier in the season the better.

I think the Sox should hire Hriniak. Everybody knows he can get Thomas going full tilt, and chances are he could do wonders for the rest of the order. Even if not, when Frank's at his best its contagious.

Daver
04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
The WhiteSox offense has been so inconsistent this year. They've shown no ability to put together any kind of meaningful rally when they need one. This is a team full of great hitters - 80% of whom are underachieving. Maybe its not Ward's fault, but management should be sending a message to this offense - the earlier in the season the better.

I think the Sox should hire Hriniak. Everybody knows he can get Thomas going full tilt, and chances are he could do wonders for the rest of the order. Even if not, when Frank's at his best its contagious.

Walt Hrniak would kill the bats for most of this lineup,the Sox have a group of contact hitters,not a group of patient hitters.

Bring back Von Joshua.

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
the Sox have a group of contact hitters,not a group of patient hitters.

You can say that again. Patience is not their strength.

MHOUSE
04-23-2003, 11:56 PM
They're stranding runners in double digits! Come on! That can't all be early-season jitters/slumps. It's coaching as well.

MisterB
04-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Walt Hrniak would kill the bats for most of this lineup,the Sox have a group of contact hitters,not a group of patient hitters.

Bring back Von Joshua.

Agreed that Hriniak is not what the Sox need right now. But I'm not sold on VJ's having been particularly good with the youngsters at the ML level. During his tenure we had 3 young hitters that did well: Ordonez (the strongest evidence of VJ's influence, having worked with him in the minors as well), Lee (fairly strong, he did hit the skids about the time VJ was fired), and Konerko (possible, though he still hasn't come close to his godlike minor league numbers). During the same time there were several who didn't make the transition: Mike Caruso, Jeff Abbott, Greg Norton, McKay Christensen, Mark Johnson. The argument can be made that those guys didn't have the talent to hit in the majors anyway, but then it could also apply that the successful ones had the talent to make it no matter who was coaching. I've not been too impressed with Ward, but I'm not clamoring to have Josuha back, either (at the ML level, anyway, maybe in the minors)

Randar68
04-24-2003, 01:09 AM

Bring back Von Joshua.

I agree. The only guys Hriniak could help would be the young guys and especially Carlos. I have been saying for 3 years that Carlos should work with him every offseason. His swing/stance/approach is the perfect fit.

lowesox
04-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I agree. The only guys Hriniak could help would be the young guys and especially Carlos. I have been saying for 3 years that Carlos should work with him every offseason. His swing/stance/approach is the perfect fit.

The young guys and Carlos Lee: sounds like the guys who need it most. And while nobody would disagree that the sox have a ton of homerun hitters, I think a little patience would make a big difference to them.

Not too mention, its a good way to get big Frank back next year at a lower pricetag.