PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Reinsdorf Comments

CiscoCarlos
04-23-2003, 09:25 PM
In an press conference today, Jerry Reinsdorf took a cheap shot at Bill Veeck and ultimately took absolutely no blame for last week's unfortunate incident. Here's his quote:

"We're very proud of the fact that the atmosphere in U.S. Cellular Field is far different than it was prior to 1981, when Comiskey Park was billed as the world's largest outdoor saloon and hundreds of people used to be arrested and thrown out of the place on Friday night ," Reinsdorf said at a news conference at the ballpark.

As a Sox fan, I want to support Jerry, but he makes it awful hard. Plus, his completely out of place reference to actions over 20 years ago dilute the argument that this type of fan problem can happen anywhere and has nothing specific to do with Chicago and/or Sox fans in particular.

Some leader.

duke of dorwood
04-23-2003, 10:02 PM
At least there were hundreds there on Friday nights, then

voodoochile
04-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
At least there were hundreds there on Friday nights, then

Post of the Week (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
As a Sox fan, I want to support Jerry

I don't, I hate the arrogant s.o.b.

CiscoCarlos
04-24-2003, 07:33 AM
I don't. I hate the arrogant SOB.

I used to, to the point that I completely stopped following the Sox for a few years after the baseball strike (a lapsed Sox Fan), but have mellowed in my hatred in recent years upon returning to the fan base (soon after Albert Belle left the team).

After all, what we see on the field are the fruits of direct or indirect mechanisms of Reinsdorf so if we're to be contemporary Sox fans, does it really make sense to give credence to everything Cub fans say about the South Siders?

Instead, I've focused on the Cubs, whose arrogance as an organization and fan base transcends that even of Reinsdorf. My wife accuses me of teaching our 11-year old son to be cynical as he's already making jokes about Sosa and, blush, even Santo. Mind you a healthy dose of cynicism is probably healthy for today's youth, but it's going overboard to be cynical about both teams and I don't want to be the vehicle for passing on our generation's general negativity about baseball to the next generation.

And more importantly, I thought Reinsdorf had learned something over the years and mellowed himself--even to the point of apologizing to the fans. He no longer seemed detestable.

But yesterday's comments were a bitter reminder that he's just the same old warped Jerry. It reminded me of when the Sox won the 1983 division and instead of feeling joyful as most humans would he goes on WGN and yells, "Take that, Harry Caray!" The guy didn't even know how to win gracefully.

Twenty years later in yesterday's press conference he's still harping on how things are better since he got here.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 08:37 AM
I never realized Jerry Reinsdorf was quite the Philanthropist.
I never realized He bought the White Sox from Veeck, so that he could Save Us from the wild west atmosphere at comiskey, with all the bloodshed, the tears, the violence, the open drunkenness, the wild women, brazenly with little clothing on.....
Thank You Jerry.....Thank You

NC_sox_fan
04-24-2003, 08:53 AM
It's really sad that the Sox have to overcome public comments like that from their owner. It's bad enough to have to put up with the comments from the media (both newspaper and tv). You'd think JR would try to HELP the situation but ---- noooooooo.

CiscoCarlos, when ya coming to Winston-Salem?

the scorekeeper
04-24-2003, 09:39 AM

"We're very proud of the fact that the atmosphere in U.S. Cellular Field is far different than it was prior to 1981, when Comiskey Park was billed as the world's largest outdoor saloon and hundreds of people used to be arrested and thrown out of the place on Friday night ," Reinsdorf said at a news conference at the ballpark.

He's right, you know. The atmosphere at US Cellular Field in 1981 was very different - in great part because it was a parking lot at the time.

TheBigHurt
04-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by the scorekeeper
He's right, you know. The atmosphere at US Cellular Field in 1981 was very different - in great part because it was a parking lot at the time.

WELL thats new news for Jerry :)

BE GOOD

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Reinsdorf is an egotistical jagoff. Nothing will ever change that other than death. Is it bad to wish that someone would pass away? :smile:

Dan H
04-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Comiskey Park was known as an outdoor saloon during the late '70's, but this was still a cheap shot at Veeck. Secondly, Reinsdorf is being slightly inconsistent here, if not hypocritical. Wasn't Reinsdorf the one who was putting up beer tents last year to attract fans? Isn't the Bulllpen Bar open after games?

I also understand that the Sox will need to increase security somewhat. But I hope Comiskey will become a place where every fan is under suspicion and thus treated as such. Many of us decent fans just don't deserve that type of treatment. Even with these two incidents, this type of thing is still isolated. Overreaction is not going to help.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Reinsdorf is an egotistical jagoff. Nothing will ever change that other than death. Is it bad to wish that someone would pass away? :smile:

I wonder if Jerry realizes how abrasive he really is, in person and in the Media? His public relations gaffes are Legendary now and that is what people are going to Remember him by when he passes on to the Ultimate SkyBox. I WILL NOT remember him for the way He Saved Us from ourselves in 1981, but I'll remember him by all the Missed Chances at a World Series, I'll remember him for the Biggest Swing and a Miss of all, the 1994 Strike that Cost US a World Series (we were definitely going), and I'll Remember him for this Monstrosity that is US Cellular Field, though now being rehabbed (only after 10 years, hahaa) will be the Living, Concrete Monument and Testament to Ownership Greed and Short-Sightedness. Every Cardinal Rule of Urban Planning was broken in constructing this place. All historical precedents, Architectural and Otherwise, Ignored and Passed over, only to have OTHER TEAMS with not a fraction of the History we have, steal them away and pass them as their own.
Thats What I'll remember Jerry Reinsdorf for.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Comiskey Park was known as an outdoor saloon during the late '70's, but this was still a cheap shot at Veeck. Secondly, Reinsdorf is being slightly inconsistent here, if not hypocritical. Wasn't Reinsdorf the one who was putting up beer tents last year to attract fans? Isn't the Bulllpen Bar open after games?

I also understand that the Sox will need to increase security somewhat. But I hope Comiskey will become a place where every fan is under suspicion and thus treated as such. Many of us decent fans just don't deserve that type of treatment. Even with these two incidents, this type of thing is still isolated. Overreaction is not going to help.

Let us not Forget who Helped coin the "outdoor saloon" term.
The Chicago Media. Funny how Outdoor Saloon has a bad connotation (self-imposed?) and just 8 miles north, another Outdoor Saloon, now being called Worlds Largest Beer-Garden,
is frequently the site of brazen drunkenness, lewd conduct, public urination, all wrapped up nicely in a Frat Party atmosphere, yet the Media Doesnt have a Problem with this. These "fans" are called "loyal" and "die-hard". give me a break. See why I hate the media so much?

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Hopefully sometime in my lifetime I will acquire very specific amnesia and all of my memories and thoughts on Jerry Reinsdorf will be erased.

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
In an press conference today, Jerry Reinsdorf took a cheap shot at Bill Veeck and ultimately took absolutely no blame for last week's unfortunate incident. Here's his quote:

"[B]
As a Sox fan, I want to support Jerry, but he makes it awful hard. Plus, his completely out of place reference to actions over 20 years ago dilute the argument that this type of fan problem can happen anywhere and has nothing specific to do with Chicago and/or Sox fans in particular.

Some leader.

Jerry Reinsdorf doesnt have to accept any Blame, nor does Sox Security. Security does a good (if not a little too unfriendly) job at the park. This was an isolated incident by some fans from another team just being a little drunk. Thats all it is. Notice the Media Firestorm. If this happened at Club Wrigley, it wouldve been Ignored and instead, an interview with Baker about how "Supportive" cub fans are of the team.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2003, 11:23 AM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't stand Uncle jerry (and also nicer not to see comments from some of my critics telling me how bad I am for thinking this way!)

And the actual quote that Uncle Jerry used in September 1983 on WGN was "Harry and Jimmy where ever you are, I hope you realize what scum you are..."

For once in his life, Hawk Harrelson was stunned into silence.

Lip

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

And the actual quote that Uncle Jerry used in September 1983 on WGN was "Harry and Jimmy where ever you are, I hope you realize what scum you are..."

For once in his life, Hawk Harrelson was stunned into silence.

Lip

whoah.....He said that? I was at that game, running around on the field (If we were in a time machine, Id be in jail for 30 days minimum, while shoplifters and auto thieves would be out before me!) I had no Idea he made such a callous remark, let alone in public. wow.

LetsGoSox_1
04-24-2003, 11:50 AM
I've never liked Reinsdorf, and I never will. I try to find reasons to like the guy, but those are very far and few. He didn't have class when we won, and doesn't have class in general. All he has been a part of is the 1994 strike that cost us our chance at a World Series, dissapointing team performances, and a New Comiskey Park that many people had problems with, yet he failed to do anything about it until a decade after it's creation. He has failed to realilize the team's history, and it's tradition, and allowed us have an image that we are second class to the Cubs. Nice job, Uncle Jerry. :angry:

soxnut
04-24-2003, 12:10 PM
I don't find what JR said about old Comsikey, 20 years ago, dissappointing, because it's true. I don't like the comments he made about Harry and Jimmy though. But it was probably just frustration on JR's part.

Sure he's made mistakes, but so what. At least he doesn't overpay for players, and then charges $50-$100 for good seats. I loved the pay-for-performance idea. Also, theballpark is being renovated and from what they've done so far, all indications from my point of view is that it's going to be great when it's done. And the neighborhood will ber pretty good too.

I'm not going to hate him, because I don't hate people, we're all human.

As for Veeck, he had his time. His sweet talk fooled people as much as the fools that attend Wrigley. JR has spent more money than Veeck ever had, and we may have never been competitive at all if Veeck was still alive had still owned the team.

I do think more appreciation of the history of the club at the parkneeds to be addressed. Hopefully that will come about when renovations are complete. What they've done with the names of the concessions stands is a good start.

So, I support the guy. :smile:

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 01:22 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't stand Uncle jerry

I thought that it was a requirement of being a Sox fan to have a deep seeded obsession in hating Jerry Reinsdorf. :smile:

T Dog
04-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I don't find what JR said about old Comsikey, 20 years ago, dissappointing, because it's true. I don't like the comments he made about Harry and Jimmy though. But it was probably just frustration on JR's part.

JR was right about old Comiskey. He was also right about Harry and Jimmy. You may not agree or like that he said such things. I've also heard JR comment on Albert Belle's attributes as a human being, but I'm sure most of you would agree with that.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2003, 01:27 AM
Two brief comments:

1. Regardless of whether Jerry was right about Veeck, Harry or Jimmy is irrelevant. You don't embarass yourself and the organization by saying those things in public. You don't stoop to that level especially if you are the CEO of a multi million dollar company. Trouble is Jerry has consistently done that over the years because his ego needs to be fed, he has to say "I told you so" to his critics even when he's wrong from the start (i.e. his comment about all Sox fans being happy for the White Flag Trade in 2000 when the Sox really didn't do anything and haven't since.)

2. The comment about him "not overpaying for players and then charging 50 -100 for seats" was interesting. My dad had a saying "you get what you pay for..." which is exactly why the Sox have never even come close to getting into a World Series.

Just my opinion.

LipIf your taste runs towards cheap prices and cheap players perhaps you might want to see the Kane County Cougars. I'd gladly pay 100 bucks for a good seat a few times a year if I knew the Sox were one of the top echlon teams in baseball and had a chance to win the series on a consistent basis.

T Dog
04-25-2003, 07:34 AM
I think the comments about old Comiskey were appropriate. Now people complain about the upper deck and feel nostalgia for old Comiskey, but when I was a kid, the problem was old Comiskey.

As for comments about people, I think a lot of fans would have loved to have heard him say such things about Jerry Krause.

Dan H
04-25-2003, 12:41 PM
To say Jerry Reinsdorf has not accomplished anything with the Sox would simply be a false statement. He has had some success, done some right things, and some criticisms of past ownership are on the money. However, the late 80's were just as bad as the late '70's and '60's. But there are things a person says in private and things you say in public, and he hasn't figured that out yet. Finally, I just don't think he has ever understood the average fan, and I don't think he ever will.