PDA

View Full Version : Early but... Crede v. Ventura?

balz1472
04-23-2003, 09:02 PM
OK, let me explain before I get ripped apart.

Over the weekend I went back out to the burbs and was talking to some family... the point was brought up that Crede reminds someone (who will remain nameless) of a young Robin. [obviously a right-handed version] Anyway, does anyone else see the same similarities? From a fielding perspective, I would have to agree, from a hitting, it is hard to tell less than a month into the season.

Just thought I would get all your opinions as well.

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
He reminds me of Robin, for sure. Especially on the field. Robin was a BIG favorite in my family, so that's a compliment.

T Dog
04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I was particularly impressed this weekend (Monday included) with Crede's defense. I expected him to be good, and he still managed to impress me. Crede looks like he will hit, but already he is a big asset to the team defensively.

Ventura23Fan
04-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Robin is my all-time favorite, so I am biased. Joe will turn 25 in a couple of days. Robin turned 25 during the 1992 season. In 1991, Robin had 100 RBI and won a GG. In 1992, Robin won his second GG, made the All-Star team, hit 38 Doubles, and drew 93 walks. So Joe has some catching up to do to match the career numbers that Robin has put up so far. I'm not faulting Joe, since I thought he should have been up earlier, but that is reality. Having said that, I like Joe alot. I think he has the potential to be as good as Robin both with his glove and the bat, I hope he's even better. The main difference I see between the two is that Robin was a much more patient hitter (he recently drew his 1000th walk). Plus it was nice to have his lefty bat in the lineup. It will also be tough for Joe to shine with so many good third basemen in the league, e.g., Glaus, Chavez, Randa, Hinske, Hillenbrand, the kid in Texas (I'm not even going to bother to attempt to spell his name), and even Robin for at least a couple more years (I hope). It will also be tough for Joe if he has more homeruns taken away from him by the umps like what happened tonight.

Procol Harum
04-24-2003, 11:03 AM
One big upside for Joe Cruh-day over Ventura is that Joseph can actually run a little bit. Basepath lightning he ain't, but he's not a plodder like Robin--Ventura was the White Sox' station-to-station, base-clogging double play machine before we invented Paul Konerko to handle that role on the South Side.

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
I don't think Crede and Ventura comparisons are that big of a stretch. They both have similar builds, both are reliable good fielders, and both can swing the bats a little bit. I think the only thing keeping me from calling the twins seperated at birth is that Joe's only done it for about half a year now. Robin's been doing it for 13. I don't think that's an outrageous comparison at all. Hopefully we'll keep Joe around longer than we were Robin.

bc2k
04-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately I didn't have the knowledge of the game I have now when Ventura was with the Sox. But I always remember his great defense and how great he was at bare-handing bunts and throwing out the runner at first. I've never seen Crede do that and have a hard time believing he ever will approach Robin's level at that.

Am I the only one who is not impressed with Crede's defense? I heard about his defensive accolades in the minors and was expecting someone, well, Robin-like, and this guy has disappointed. I don't even think he has been solid, more like decent to me. He makes very Durham-like gaffs on easy plays (although not as often as Ray), and often needs to aim the ball over to first. He sometimes has that slow delivery with that step he takes. And with all the time he has spent in the minors, you would think he would know how to start a double-play. Throw to Jimenez instead of running three feet out of the way to apply the force at third, which burns time and makes for a longer throw to first, gimp.

Oh, and he's the biggest puss y when attempting to catch a foul ball near the stands.

doublem23
04-24-2003, 12:14 PM
There are times when he's at the plate or in the field that he has brought back some flashes of Robin (except from the right side of the plate). While I doubt he'll ever surpass Robin, I wouldn't mind if he did. :D: