PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ballparks...according to ESPN

thecell
04-23-2003, 05:31 PM
ESPN has put up fan commentary to describe the worst ballparks in the majors. Some drillrod from Homer Glen, who is obviously a Flub fan, wrote this:

U.S. SELL OUT is the worst stadium in baseball. The park is in the middle of the Chicago ? but instead of a nice skyline view, you stare at the Robert Taylor Housing Projects. In the front of the stadium there used to be an engraved stone saying Comiskey Park; now there is a banner that covers the etch work with the U.S. Cellular plug.

Inside the park there is nothing fan friendly except a batting cage that costs five dollars to hit in. The wall in the outfield doesn't even match colors. Some of it is black while the rest of it is blue -- they are called the White Sox and have more blue than white and black. These nosebleed seats are the worst nosebleed seats in all of baseball. You try walking up them. Aaand ? the fans at the park are a bunch of drunks that attack coaches and umpires.

Take a look at the entire article here (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=readersworstsmlbtadiums).

Foulke You
04-23-2003, 06:08 PM
All of those stadium bashing articles, why didn't they have an article of someone defending the stadium as well to offer two angles? Also, Yankee Stadium, Pac Bell, US Cellular, and Fenway are ripped but not one ripping Wrigley? Oh, I forgot, that stadium is perfect and as Sox fans we are all envious and jealous of its blinding beauty

A.T. Money
04-23-2003, 06:09 PM
So apparently he's been to the park this season. I read this already....what a total tool. Here's a guy well aware of the renovations the park has seen in the past 3 years, and he's still got nothing but negativity.

AT LEAST THE SOX ARE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

All people like to do is cry about crap. If you hate the park, don't go. I personally think it's going to be a great park once it's done in 2005.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-23-2003, 06:12 PM
yeah, i read this article today. whatta drag. sounds like pac bell is a lot like wrigley

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 07:15 PM
That's real nice journalism from ESPN. Sounds more like some crappy Cubs-Yankees-RedSox message board. Once again, people who have never been to the park spout off without the facts. Isn't the idiot who attacked the ump a Cub fan? Sure is! How about notes from the editor, alerting the readers of the facts? Nope, not from ESPN.

duke of dorwood
04-23-2003, 07:22 PM
:boston

God Bless the Red Sox

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2003, 07:48 PM
U.S. SELL OUT is the worst stadium in baseball.

Apparently our well-travelled Flubfan friend has never been to the Twins, Mets, Phillies, DRays, etc. ballparks.

The park is in the middle of the Chicago but instead of a nice skyline view, you stare at the Robert Taylor Housing Projects.

If 35th Street is the "middle of Chicago," I'm a monkey's uncle. But I guess if you're from Hilljack, Illinois, geography of our fair city probably isn't one of your strong points.

And very soon, you won't even be able to see any housing projects, just whatever redevelopment comes to the neighborhood east of the Ryan.

In the front of the stadium there used to be an engraved stone saying Comiskey Park; now there is a banner that covers the etch work with the U.S. Cellular plug.

The naming deal only became official about 10 days before the season started, sparky. I'm sure the Sox will erect some permanent signage before too long. Besides, what does this have to do with the ballpark proper?

Inside the park there is nothing fan friendly except a batting cage that costs five dollars to hit in.

I love how Flub fans spout their immense knowledge about our ballpark. If "nothing fan friendly" is meant to address the shower in the summer, the outfield concourse and bird's-nest view in CF, the wide concourses, great sightlines in the entire lower bowl, amazing array of tasty food treats, "beers of the world," crystal-clear screen on the scoreboard, the Stadium Club, etc., then sure, call it un-fan friendly. Idiot.

The wall in the outfield doesn't even match colors. Some of it is black while the rest of it is blue

Um, Tim? See, the hitters might complain if the wall in CF was anything but black -- it tends to obscure the baseball when it's being pitched. Good complaint, though.

they are called the White Sox and have more blue than white and black.

Wow. Another stellar complaint, Timmy!. Has Cooperstown contacted you yet about being their stadium consultant? Oh, and hey, the Cubs are called the Cubs, yet I don't see any baby bears at Wrigley -- what a rip!

These nosebleed seats are the worst nosebleed seats in all of baseball. You try walking up them.

The highest seats in the UD are a non-issue to 97% of people who attend games at the Cell. If you don't like 'em, don't sit in 'em -- there are plenty of other desirable seats elsewhere in the park. I have never had to sit higher than about midway up the UD in my 12 years of going to games at New Comiskey -- what's your problem, moron?

Aaand ? the fans at the park are a bunch of drunks that attack coaches and umpires.

Ha. Good one. I assume from this remark that Wrigley NEVER has drunks (rim shot, please) nor unruly fans (or at least those unruly fans who don't make the trek to 35th and Veeck Drive). Talk to Chad Kreuter and Randy Myers and see what they have to say about the matter.

So, to sum it up, little Timmy's complaints about US Cellular (i.e. the WORST ballpark in baseball) are:

1. The stadium faces the wrong direction.
2. The Sox had only a temporary US Cellular banner, covering the old engraved "Comiskey Park" name on the front of the park.
3. It is not fan friendly outside of our batting cages (which cost $5, wow). Uh huh. Sure.
4. Nosebleed seats are bad.
5. Sox have had a handful of unruly fans. Some of those were even Sox fans.

What a hilljack little wuss we have here. Does any of this crap have much of an impact on watching/enjoying the GAME ON THE FIELD? Typical Flub fan, letting all these "distractions" bother him. Suck it up, son. After all, you're soaking in urinestench every time you go to "your" ballpark.

calebhatesyou
04-23-2003, 07:55 PM
this article is dribble, for real!!! i would expect to see this on some juvenile message board, but from a published magazine?!?!?!

trimbo
04-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
this article is dribble, for real!!! i would expect to see this on some juvenile message board, but from a published magazine?!?!?!

Sigh. ESPN has started started pandering to the Fox Sports / Jim Rome crowd a little too much.

But hey, thanks for the vine.

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the commentary Cheeses! Now that's what I was talking about. :D:

thecell
04-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Cheeses, I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time! THANKS!

Ol Aches & Pains
04-23-2003, 09:28 PM
As long as baseball is being played anywhere indoors on artificial grass, US Cellular is not the worst stadium in baseball. But compared to most of the newer stadiums, it's pretty damned unappealing.

TheBigHurt
04-23-2003, 10:28 PM
WHY does everyone hate Shea......ITS really not that bad and the Metropoltians have a hell of a lot of fans so maybe thats why the stad. draws pretty good

LetsGoSox_1
04-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
U.S. SELL OUT is the worst stadium in baseball.

Apparently our well-travelled Flubfan friend has never been to the Twins, Mets, Phillies, DRays, etc. ballparks.

The park is in the middle of the Chicago but instead of a nice skyline view, you stare at the Robert Taylor Housing Projects.

If 35th Street is the "middle of Chicago," I'm a monkey's uncle. But I guess if you're from Hilljack, Illinois, geography of our fair city probably isn't one of your strong points.

And very soon, you won't even be able to see any housing projects, just whatever redevelopment comes to the neighborhood east of the Ryan.

In the front of the stadium there used to be an engraved stone saying Comiskey Park; now there is a banner that covers the etch work with the U.S. Cellular plug.

The naming deal only became official about 10 days before the season started, sparky. I'm sure the Sox will erect some permanent signage before too long. Besides, what does this have to do with the ballpark proper?

Inside the park there is nothing fan friendly except a batting cage that costs five dollars to hit in.

I love how Flub fans spout their immense knowledge about our ballpark. If "nothing fan friendly" is meant to address the shower in the summer, the outfield concourse and bird's-nest view in CF, the wide concourses, great sightlines in the entire lower bowl, amazing array of tasty food treats, "beers of the world," crystal-clear screen on the scoreboard, the Stadium Club, etc., then sure, call it un-fan friendly. Idiot.

The wall in the outfield doesn't even match colors. Some of it is black while the rest of it is blue

Um, Tim? See, the hitters might complain if the wall in CF was anything but black -- it tends to obscure the baseball when it's being pitched. Good complaint, though.

Wow. Another stellar complaint, Timmy!. Has Cooperstown contacted you yet about being their stadium consultant? Oh, and hey, the Cubs are called the Cubs, yet I don't see any baby bears at Wrigley -- what a rip!

These nosebleed seats are the worst nosebleed seats in all of baseball. You try walking up them.

The highest seats in the UD are a non-issue to 97% of people who attend games at the Cell. If you don't like 'em, don't sit in 'em -- there are plenty of other desirable seats elsewhere in the park. I have never had to sit higher than about midway up the UD in my 12 years of going to games at New Comiskey -- what's your problem, moron?

Aaand ? the fans at the park are a bunch of drunks that attack coaches and umpires.

Ha. Good one. I assume from this remark that Wrigley NEVER has drunks (rim shot, please) nor unruly fans (or at least those unruly fans who don't make the trek to 35th and Veeck Drive). Talk to Chad Kreuter and Randy Myers and see what they have to say about the matter.

So, to sum it up, little Timmy's complaints about US Cellular (i.e. the WORST ballpark in baseball) are:

1. The stadium faces the wrong direction.
2. The Sox had only a temporary US Cellular banner, covering the old engraved "Comiskey Park" name on the front of the park.
3. It is not fan friendly outside of our batting cages (which cost $5, wow). Uh huh. Sure.
4. Nosebleed seats are bad.
5. Sox have had a handful of unruly fans. Some of those were even Sox fans.

What a hilljack little wuss we have here. Does any of this crap have much of an impact on watching/enjoying the GAME ON THE FIELD? Typical Flub fan, letting all these "distractions" bother him. Suck it up, son. After all, you're soaking in urinestench every time you go to "your" ballpark.

:gulp: That was classic.

pearso66
04-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Personally, I liked Comiskey (the cell) the first time I ever walked into it, way back in 1992. I have no complaints, and think its a good ball park. I have sat 2 rows from the very top, and it's really not as bad as people make it to be. You can still see the game great.

As for hearing people ripping into our unruly "fans" on Colin Quinn's show the other night someone was saying how the only place in all of baseball that people are running onto the field and attackign people is the southside of Chicago, and that maybe baseball shouldnt be played there. I was ready to bash the guys head in, had I been there. I wish these people would get their head out of their behinds and research what they are going to say before opening their big mouths.

LuvSox
04-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
As for hearing people ripping into our unruly "fans" on Colin Quinn's show the other night someone was saying how the only place in all of baseball that people are running onto the field and attackign people is the southside of Chicago, and that maybe baseball shouldnt be played there. I was ready to bash the guys head in, had I been there. I wish these people would get their head out of their behinds and research what they are going to say before opening their big mouths.

I saw that too, what a "comedian." I've written off that show, which isn't hard considering Colin Quinn is a total moron.

Sufferin
04-23-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm a life long Sox fan (it's a disease that can't be cured I fear) and I hate the new COmiskey/Cell field. Sure it's got some nice features, in fact it has everything you could ask for in a mall. Theold joint was a pigsty but a tleast it felt like a ball park. Everything in the new place is too netrlal and antiseptic. Those wide concourses are nice but again I feel like I'm in a mall when I'm walking around in there. Also who the **** decided to point it at the projects instead of the skyline (like the view form the 1st base side ramps)?

I also think the place should have been built with a balck and silver color scheme. It' s great that we used the same people who built Kaufman Stadium, which at the time was the nicest park around, but did we have to copy the colors as well?

Being a die-hard doesn't mean you have to support everything your team does, I'm still pissed about the White Flag trade. I don't care how those players turned out, you don't give up when you're 3 1/2 back! Also I'm a die-hard Hawks fan and I don't care for just about anything they do. Ironically though I like the UC, I think it's the only thing $Bill has done right in 40 years.

Bobby Thigpen
04-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Why isn't Busch mentioned in this article as one of the worst parks in baseball? That place is disgusting. It wreaks of stale beer and urine, has absolutely no character, and in the summer is possibly one of the hottest places on earth. If they want to call Sox fans drunks have they ever been to St. Louis? You can hardly see the field because of the beer man in front of you every five seconds. I think that they have to set the record for beers consumed per nine innings every game. I know Cardinal fans that don't even like Busch.

As for most of these people that bash Comiskey, I don't try to worry about it that much, because the vast majority of them have never even been to the park. They just read what the Tribune and Mariotti tell them about the park and accept it as the truth. They disprove their points almost immediately by showing their ignorance.

Lastly, what is up with all the Cubs fans coming to Comiskey lately? I've been to two games early this season and saw many of the idiots walking around. IF THEY ALL HATE COMISKEY SO MUCH WHY DON'T THEY STAY AWAY FROM IT? Hmmmm..

moochpuppy
04-24-2003, 10:03 AM

I don't remember seeing much red and blue at Wrigley.

moochpuppy
04-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Sufferin
I'm a life long Sox fan (it's a disease that can't be cured I fear) and I hate the new COmiskey/Cell field. Sure it's got some nice features, in fact it has everything you could ask for in a mall. Theold joint was a pigsty but a tleast it felt like a ball park. Everything in the new place is too netrlal and antiseptic. Those wide concourses are nice but again I feel like I'm in a mall when I'm walking around in there. Also who the **** decided to point it at the projects instead of the skyline (like the view form the 1st base side ramps)?

I also think the place should have been built with a balck and silver color scheme. It' s great that we used the same people who built Kaufman Stadium, which at the time was the nicest park around, but did we have to copy the colors as well?

Being a die-hard doesn't mean you have to support everything your team does, I'm still pissed about the White Flag trade. I don't care how those players turned out, you don't give up when you're 3 1/2 back! Also I'm a die-hard Hawks fan and I don't care for just about anything they do. Ironically though I like the UC, I think it's the only thing $Bill has done right in 40 years.

As a die-hard you should know that Reisndorf loves Yankee stadium and built The Cell in it's liking, hence the color scheme. You have to give Reinsdorf credit at the time. The Cell was the first new stadium to be built in Chicago in some 70 years. It may not be the perfect stadium, but most aren't and EVERY stadium has it's flaws.

Also, I believe Reisndorf had more to do with getting the UC built then Wirtz.