PDA

View Full Version : Is Loaiza this years Cal Eldred?

NewyorkSoxFan
04-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Was something I was pondering last nite after his 2:08 gem. Cal always seemed to step up early in that season of 2000. He kept the ship stable until it seemingly became contagious. The rest of the staff looked up to him, and he added alot to the clubhouse.

Esteban seems to have the players respect, he does his job, and he is happy to be in a potential winning situation.

Remember the arguments over the winter about Rauch, Stewart, and Rogers. Looks like the best guy was under our noses, he may turn out to be this years Cal.

NYSF

34 Inch Stick
04-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Who would have thought it. I don't care if he is traditionally good in April. He is not traditionally THIS good. His next game is a big one versus the Twins. Let's see 5-0.

Iguana775
04-23-2003, 08:27 AM
i was thinking he was this years Lowe from boston. last year he came out of nowhere to kick ass. but the Cal idea makes sense too.

FoulkeFan
04-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Let's just hope he's not this year's Todd Ritchie (who did pretty well in April if I'm not mistaken)!

TheBigHurt
04-23-2003, 09:01 AM
HOPEFULLY Loazia is better then Eldred!!!!! :)

BE GOOD

Bobby Thigpen
04-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Loaiza has to be the best surprise for the Sox so far this year. His last two starts he has been flat out dominating. Even more encouraging is that he seems to be gaining more and more confidence every start. I was at the KC game last Thursday and he looked awesome. I know he has a record of early season success, but he looks flat out amazing so far. Hopefully he can carry it on deeper into the year.

dllrbll7
04-23-2003, 09:26 AM
I was just comparing him to Cal yesterday i think. I hope he can keep it up

T Dog
04-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Every once in a while, a pitcher you think might be good has a year where he wins big. He holds the opposition when his team doesn't score and gets run support when the other team gets to him.

In Steve Carlton's case when he went to the Phillies after losing 19 with the Cardinals, it was a sign of his greatness. In Steve Stone's case with the Orioles, it was one of those things. Esteban Loaiza is not Steve Carlton, but he's laid the foundation for one of those years.

Iwritecode
04-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Looks like the best guy was under our noses, he may turn out to be this years Cal.

Originally posted by dllrbll7
I was just comparing him to Cal yesterday i think. I hope he can keep it up

Sorry guys, I beat ya to it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=175826#post175826)

:)

Foulke You
04-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Part of Loaiza's success I believe is attributed to him learning/refining a new pitch in the offseason. I seem to remember an offseason interview with Esteban saying he learned a new pitch. If that is the case, that throws his past stats out the window since he didn't know the pitch then. Does anyone remember what he said and what new pitch he added this year?

fuzzy_patters
04-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Part of Loaiza's success I believe is attributed to him learning/refining a new pitch in the offseason. I seem to remember an offseason interview with Esteban saying he learned a new pitch. If that is the case, that throws his past stats out the window since he didn't know the pitch then. Does anyone remember what he said and what new pitch he added this year?

I believe it was the cutter, but I could be mistaken.

Risk
04-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Loaiza has been really pitching great this year so far. He has really stepped it up. Hopefully he can pass that on to the other pitchers, especially since the three spot has thus far been lacking. It would be great if Loaiza could win 13-14 games for us and if Stewart could win 10-11 (good for a #5). :)

Risk

dllrbll7
04-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Sorry guys, I beat ya to it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=175826#post175826)

:)

Maybe thats where i got the idea in my head but i dont think so but i dont mind givin you the credit as long as he keeps it up

pudge
04-23-2003, 02:31 PM
I think this talk is a little early, especially since he's done it against the Tigers, Royals and Orioles... AND he's traditionally a good pitcher in April who loses it later in the season... let's wait and see...

Bisco Stu
04-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Actually, I was the first to address the Loaiza-Eldred comparison.