PDA

View Full Version : How much longer?

SoxxoS
04-22-2003, 08:50 PM
How much longer are we going to have to wait until somebody tells Gary Ward that Konerko, Thomas, Olivo, Rowand and even Crede are all trying to pull the ball!!!

Once again, how many hits (not base hits, just contact) did any of the above 5 have to the right side? I counted 1, a slow roller to Hairston off Rowand's bat. Notice the one time Crede tried to go to right field (to advance the runner) he smoked the ball into left center for a double? He obviously waited back, got something offspeed, and smoked it. Konerko did have a sharp hit today to left, but didn't hit anything opposite way. Thomas broke out a little today, but also pulled everything.

It doesn't look so bad when you win, however we need to put up more than 3 runs against those pitchers. It is blatently obvious, I believe, on why the above a struggling a bit. Has anyone else noticed this?

A wins a win, and I'll take it.

(Also, it concerns me very much that Koch is only hitting 94 on the radar gun. Not good.)

lowesox
04-22-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm not a big Gary Ward fan. For what he has to work with, he's not getting very good results. Why not hire Walt Hriniak. The difference he'd make for Thomas alone would be worth it. Not too mention when Frank becomes a Free Agent...

fuzzy_patters
04-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Gary Ward's son Daryl is impatient and tries to pull everything. I would think that Daryl probably learned to hit from his Dad since his Dad was a major league hitter. The Sox hitters also seem to go through bouts of trying to jerk everything. I hope Gary is teaching them to hit this way. :(:

baggio202
04-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
How much longer are we going to have to wait until somebody tells Gary Ward that Konerko, Thomas, Olivo, Rowand and even Crede are all trying to pull the ball!!!

Once again, how many hits (not base hits, just contact) did any of the above 5 have to the right side? I counted 1, a slow roller to Hairston off Rowand's bat. Notice the one time Crede tried to go to right field (to advance the runner) he smoked the ball into left center for a double? He obviously waited back, got something offspeed, and smoked it. Konerko did have a sharp hit today to left, but didn't hit anything opposite way. Thomas broke out a little today, but also pulled everything.

It doesn't look so bad when you win, however we need to put up more than 3 runs against those pitchers. It is blatently obvious, I believe, on why the above a struggling a bit. Has anyone else noticed this?

A wins a win, and I'll take it.

(Also, it concerns me very much that Koch is only hitting 94 on the radar gun. Not good.)

on konerko's hit to LF..it looked like to me he was waiting back trying to go to RF and still hit it LC but because he wasnt trying to hit around the ball he hit it solid..

at soxfest this year konerko was talking hitting with hawk and DJ..hawk mentioned that the smartest hitter on the team was maggs and his approach to looking to hit fastballs into rc was great because it helps you adjust to off speed stuff easier and keeps you from slumping...konerko agreed and said he was making it a priority this yeat to go to rf more..guess he is a slow learner???

jeremyb1
04-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'm not a big Gary Ward fan. For what he has to work with, he's not getting very good results. Why not hire Walt Hriniak. The difference he'd make for Thomas alone would be worth it. Not too mention when Frank becomes a Free Agent...

i try to give ward the benefit of the doubt but i'm not sure how good he is. i think von joshua was probably better. too bad the players had to slack off and screw him over.