PDA

View Full Version : Proposed $1000 fine and 30days in the cell(an actual cell)

dllrbll7
04-22-2003, 06:17 PM
There is talk of new legislation for anyone who runs on the field. A minimum $1000 fine and a mandatory 30days in jail. It sounds good to me. Dont think any amount of beer could make anyone run on the field if they knew it would mean 30 days in jail
http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030422&content_id=285234&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Daver
04-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
There is talk of new legislation for anyone who runs on the field. A minimum $1000 fine and a mandatory 30days in jail. It sounds good to me. Dont think any amount of beer could make anyone run on the field if they knew it would mean 30 days in jail
http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030422&content_id=285234&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Just make sure that the cell is general population at 27th and California,thirty days in there would be a big deterrent..........

T Dog
04-23-2003, 01:09 AM
My only problem with this law is that is that it will forever be linked to the White Sox. Chicago media will see to that.

As long as I've been watching baseball, fans have been running onto the field. I remember Jack Brickhouse explaining when the screen suddenly showed the scoreboard for no reason during Cubs games that WGN didn't show people who ran onto the field. One season Morganna Roberts, a surgically enhanced dancer, ran onto baseball fields to kiss players. Strangely, when it happened during a Cubs game, WGN had no problem showing that.

One of the greatest moments in baseball history involved fans running onto the field. When Henry Aaron was rounding the bases after his 715th home run in Atlanta, two fans caught up to him in the base paths. They only shook his hand. Consider, though, that Aaron had received numerous death threats because of his quest to break Babe Ruth's record. And security still didn't stop them.

dllrbll7
04-23-2003, 10:30 AM
One story ive heard is a friend of a friend ran onto the field in Baltimore right around the time that Ripken was goin to break the record for consecutive games. He ran right out to Cal at short and shaked his hand. Cal just looked at him and said "Your F***ed. Im not 100% for sure that it is true but i think its a cool story about someone running on the field

brewcrew/chisox
04-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi guys,

I can't help but feel a bit suspicious of this new state law proposed by Sen Mattie Hunter, which like much legislature seems highly reactionary and ineffective.

Don't misunderstand me.
I agree with the sentiment of late which lambasts the actions of those four guys at the Royals game, and anyone else who thinks it necessary to interrupt a ball game by taking off his shirt to act like idiot for his friends. I was at the aforementioned game and was annoyed with the constant pauses in play, and equally horrified by the assault on the umpire.

However, I have to imagine that if it were not for the assault on Diaz, and the Royal first base coach, nobody would really be all that upset about a few fans running on to the field. Indeed, from streakers, to the kissing bandit, to fans storming the court in celebration of their team's victory, "criminal trespass" has been a generally unpleasant but tolerated part of the sporting event. Nike's most recent, and very popular commercial of a streaker at soccer game serves as perhaps proof of the activity's growing popularity.

What Hunter's bill does do is raise the penalty on "criminal trespass", calling for $1000 fine and a mandatory jail sentence of a minimum of 30 days. Now, personally, I find 30 days jail time for being a general annoyance and a moron to be be a bit excessive, but I'm not going to complain too hard if it keeps the streets of Chicago a little less stupid for a couple of days longer.

But one must also note what Hunter's bill doesn't do, and that is address the problem of assault, and aggravated battery, which is what I think is the real problem here....and I guess a real problem anywhere for that matter. Hunter's bill only addresses "Criminal Tresspass" a word which lends itself to a variety of definitions and interpretations...If this bill is passed, I will be quite interested, if say, the Illini win a thrilling overtime game against a rival (pick your sport or rival). Does Hunter propose that we fill the Illinois state prisons for 30 days with 2 to 3 thousand students?

remember guys, 30 days....mandatory.

I'm not arguing, though, that we should give special attention to those that attack professional baseball players either. What chaps my ass is that we only give this problem attention because a few people in the national spotlight get attacked. Assault is something that happens not just on the baskeball court and the playing field. I am a professor at a college here in Chicago and would hope that if some disgruntled student, god forbid, attacked me at work because of grade for example, he would be prosecuted to the full extent that the law allows. I would be pretty miffed if I knew that those that attack baseball players received something stiffer.

Perhaps we should be asking different questions about that night against the Royals. Were beer venders aware or made aware that there was a Cub game earlier that day and that Tuesday night was half price night (a little full moon for extra seasoning and you have a recipe for disaster...all Reinsdorf needed to do was hand out free baseball bats for anything worse)? But Reinsdorf won't allow beer sales to be restricted because that would dig into his pocket. One more question, would a $1000 fine and a stiffer jail sentence really have stopped William Ligue Jr and his son? While I'm sure those two were well acquainted with criminal activity, I'm not so sure those two brushed up on their knowledge of the Law and its various penalties the night the went on the field with a knife.

Just a thought (albeit a long one),

Milwaukee Ted

Daver
04-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Risk
04-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

Made some decent arguments with your post, although I still think that something has to be done before another more severe incident (ala Monica Seles) occurs by some jag bag or even worse, you have 25 angry as hell players go to town on some mope who they perceived as threatening.

brewcrew/chisox
04-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I aggree.

But what happened to Monica Seles was attempted murder.

Hunter's Law wouldn't apply here either, nor would it have deterred murder from happening on the baseball field.

The only solution would be to screen crazies before they walk into the Cell, which would be impossible......

They could start by banning cub fans :) :)

Hangar18
04-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Hi guys,

I can't help but feel a bit suspicious of this new state law proposed by Sen Mattie Hunter, which like much legislature seems highly reactionary and ineffective.

Don't misunderstand me.
I agree with the sentiment of late which lambasts the actions of those four guys at the Royals game, and anyone else who thinks it necessary to interrupt a ball game by taking off his shirt to act like idiot for his friends. I was at the aforementioned game and was annoyed with the constant pauses in play, and equally horrified by the assault on the umpire.

However, I have to imagine that if it were not for the assault on Diaz, and the Royal first base coach, nobody would really be all that upset about a few fans running on to the field. Indeed, from streakers, to the kissing bandit, to fans storming the court in celebration of their team's victory, "criminal trespass" has been a generally unpleasant but tolerated part of the sporting event. Nike's most recent, and very popular commercial of a streaker at soccer game serves as perhaps proof of the activity's growing popularity.

What Hunter's bill does do is raise the penalty on "criminal trespass", calling for $1000 fine and a mandatory jail sentence of a minimum of 30 days. Now, personally, I find 30 days jail time for being a general annoyance and a moron to be be a bit excessive, but I'm not going to complain too hard if it keeps the streets of Chicago a little less stupid for a couple of days longer.

But one must also note what Hunter's bill doesn't do, and that is address the problem of assault, and aggravated battery, which is what I think is the real problem here....and I guess a real problem anywhere for that matter. Hunter's bill only addresses "Criminal Tresspass" a word which lends itself to a variety of definitions and interpretations...If this bill is passed, I will be quite interested, if say, the Illini win a thrilling overtime game against a rival (pick your sport or rival). Does Hunter propose that we fill the Illinois state prisons for 30 days with 2 to 3 thousand students?

remember guys, 30 days....mandatory.

I'm not arguing, though, that we should give special attention to those that attack professional baseball players either. What chaps my ass is that we only give this problem attention because a few people in the national spotlight get attacked. Assault is something that happens not just on the baskeball court and the playing field. I am a professor at a college here in Chicago and would hope that if some disgruntled student, god forbid, attacked me at work because of grade for example, he would be prosecuted to the full extent that the law allows. I would be pretty miffed if I knew that those that attack baseball players received something stiffer.

Perhaps we should be asking different questions about that night against the Royals. Were beer venders aware or made aware that there was a Cub game earlier that day and that Tuesday night was half price night (a little full moon for extra seasoning and you have a recipe for disaster...all Reinsdorf needed to do was hand out free baseball bats for anything worse)? But Reinsdorf won't allow beer sales to be restricted because that would dig into his pocket. One more question, would a $1000 fine and a stiffer jail sentence really have stopped William Ligue Jr and his son? While I'm sure those two were well acquainted with criminal activity, I'm not so sure those two brushed up on their knowledge of the Law and its various penalties the night the went on the field with a knife.

Just a thought (albeit a long one),

Milwaukee Ted
WOW, this is your 2nd post, and i think its one of the best points made. I think this pass legislation bs is just a bunch of noise so the media can feel like somethings "being done" about the "problem". This was an ISOLATED incident. Im not defending Cub Fans here, lord knows I hate most of them, but what happened was a bad chain of events. There was a day game earlier and these cub fans just got a little too drunk. It was the first nice day out, and both teams happened to be in town that day. When I saw that guy run on the field towards the ump, he did not appear to be assaulting him as much as he appeared to just be stumbling towards him. Also, though the thought of players kicking a cub fan is funny at first, it isnt so funny when you realize he was already subdued and still hadnt done anything to warrant the black eye he got. This is utter nonsense to make this "criminal" trespass, and one would have to spend 30 days Minimum in Jail. That means, I could theoretically drive drunk, crash into things, get arrested, post bail the next day, and id be on the streets before some clown who ran on the field the previous nite? The punishment doesnt fit the crime, and unfortuneately, the Sox are the victims of another Media Witchhunt. Last time everyone got up in arms about something deemed a serious problem before trying to understand what the Real Problem was, we had a bunch of people being accused of being "witches" in Salem and you know what happened after that. History now mocks those people for jumping the gun. I too DONT want legislation passed because its going to be Associated with the white sox, and they have ENOUGH PR PROBLEMS as it is. THey should be trying to downplay this as much as possible. they know we dont do things like that.

Hangar18
04-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Besides, wasnt the death penalty for capital murder supposed to DETER crimes like that? Last time I checked, we as a country led the world in murders committed. If I wanted to get on that field, I dont care how many guards they put out there, IM getting on that field. The problem is, fans dont want to get on the field.
never was a problem, never will be. we just have to stop talking about it. Does anyone remember eearlier that day, in that propoganda laced paper the sun-times, there was a Big Story on the return of the KC Coach who was assaulted last year? what does that story do, but bring it up again for someone to do all over again?

brewcrew/chisox
04-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The problem is, fans dont want to get on the field.
never was a problem, never will be.

I found it funny that Reinsdorf recognized this very fact in the Scum Times article yesterday but stated that he wanted to get the percentage "down to zero".

that is ridiculous