PDA

View Full Version : Sox "Fan Friendly"? NOT !

Hangar18
04-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Had an interesting conversation with my niece and nephew. Both are just kids, both about 14/15 yrs old. The same age as I was when i went to my first games alone, without adult supervision, to take in the sights, the sounds, the smells, the action of my beloved sox, by myself, my first actions of Independence. They were out of school, and wanted to see the same Sox Ive taken them countless times to see, To See the very stadium (the only stadium) theyve seen countless times before. Now mind you, these are kids, they dont own season tickets, they dont have jobs.....yet. These are kids, they dont have the undying loyalty to this team.......yet. These are kids, they dont really know to complain or wonder aloud about their treatment at a ballpark.....yet. IN an nutshell, what happened was they tried to find a seat (among the more than 30,000 of them that were available in the vast new UsCellular Field) near my cousin, who IS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER. They were hurriedly pushed away, and told they werent allowed in that section, they would have to go to the Upper Deck (where a majority of the seats were empty also) When they explained they were looking for someone, they still werent allowed there. When they tried sitting in another section, closer to the field (again, there were plenty of seats available) they were again asked for their tickets and moved out. Apparently, this went on a few more times and they were finally able to find seats they could sit in Unbothered by Sox Security, around the 7th inning. I explained that because of the Actions of 4 Cub Fans a few nites earlier, the Sox Fans were being treated as if they were the ones who ran the field and assaulted umpires. The sox arent looking at this as an isloated incident, which I know it to be. How many times are Cub Fans going to be at Comiskey anyway? I could tell by the tones of their voices they werent happy about the hassle and cold temperatures, then to be compounded by the Sox terrible play yesterday. I cant help but wonder how this 1st experience of going to the old ballpark on their own, has turned into a Sour Experience. I am angered that somehow, the sox can take an innocent childhood experience, and MESS THAT UP TOO. Im Ashamed.........Of SOX MGMT. Hey White Sox, Look for the People that dont belong there.......namely in Cub Hats.

voodoochile
04-22-2003, 05:05 PM
It isn't that simple. I wish it was, but it's the old "never talk to strangers" dilemma. What does a stranger look like? Ted Bundy was handsome and charming. There aren't any simple solutions. The Sox are going to be extra strict for a while at least if not forever. Like it or not, teenagers are prime targets to make an ass out of themselves at ballgame. 16-25 are the years when people are most likely to make an ass out of themselves.

Sorry they had a bad experience, but it is something we are all going to have to live with for the foreseeable future. Extra security is going to be part of all of our lives and the Comiskey upgrade may be a thing of the past...

ihatethecubs
04-22-2003, 05:10 PM
yep, i always buy upper deck tickets and sit wherever the hell i want to, usually in the sections that never fill out in the lower deck near the foul pole. after like doing it about 80 times my ticket was checked for the first time ever and i was told to move last wednesday (the day after the cub fan idiots). there were only 9,995 at that game! who cares, let us sit where we want to. they should be appreciative to the people who actually showed up! if im gonna get drunk and run on the field, im gonna do it regardless of if im sitting in the right seats or not. what a joke. but i bet they are just doing it to look like they are geting stricter and once this thing sorta dies down things will start to get a little more back to normal and they wont be cracking down so hard. i just didnt understand why they were so worried about people sitting somewhere else while beer was still being sold in the 8th inning!

LuvSox
04-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks to those dip **** Cub fans! I usually walk all over the park taking pictures or just enjoy the atmosphere. Now you have to show your tickets for every section? Thanks again Cubbie losers.

34 Inch Stick
04-22-2003, 05:50 PM
I understand your frustration but the fact is you only have a right to sit in the seat that you purchased. It may be nice to get the Comiskey Upgrade (I do it myself all the time) but it should not be expected.

THE_HOOTER
04-22-2003, 05:56 PM
I hate to argue this but I hate it when people sneek down and sit where ever they want.

It's really simple to me, sit in the seats you purchased, and enjoy the game.

Oh, and to say that a few Cub fans ruined our fun at the park is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I know plenty of Sox fans and some Cub fans too, and thankfully i dont know anyone who is stupid enough to run on the field.

Those 4 guys were not fans of anything, they are just plain dumb, ignorant, and stupid.

The two guys who jumped the coach last year were Sox fans--do you really think they were fans???????

I would like to think they were just idiots with no ability to process right from wrong.

Hangar18
04-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Sneaking into seats is about as American as Apple Pie.
I did it countless times as a kid, just wanting to watch my White Sox closer and more up personal. Nothing sinister about it. Also, just because Sox Security checks my ticket, doesnt mean I wont Run on the Field when I Feel Like it.

Hullett_Fan
04-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I hate to argue this but I hate it when people sneek down and sit where ever they want.

It's really simple to me, sit in the seats you purchased, and enjoy the game.

Oh, and to say that a few Cub fans ruined our fun at the park is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I know plenty of Sox fans and some Cub fans too, and thankfully i dont know anyone who is stupid enough to run on the field.

Those 4 guys were not fans of anything, they are just plain dumb, ignorant, and stupid.

The two guys who jumped the coach last year were Sox fans--do you really think they were fans???????

I would like to think they were just idiots with no ability to process right from wrong.

I second that. I'm a season tix holder and have had to kick a number of people out of my seat after going to get a beer, etc.

And yes, there's good and bad "fans" on both sides of town.

THE_HOOTER
04-22-2003, 06:14 PM
So, in other words don't try and improve any security at the park because you will find a way on the field if you really want to?

I agree 100%-- If you really want to do something that dumb, you probably cant be stopped because if, and thats a big if, the game is crowded they cannot catch everyone.

I don't agree about sneaking to the closer seats. When I was younger, yeah I did it.

TornLabrum
04-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Had an interesting conversation with my niece and nephew. Both are just kids, both about 14/15 yrs old. The same age as I was when i went to my first games alone, without adult supervision, to take in the sights, the sounds, the smells, the action of my beloved sox, by myself, my first actions of Independence. They were out of school, and wanted to see the same Sox Ive taken them countless times to see, To See the very stadium (the only stadium) theyve seen countless times before. Now mind you, these are kids, they dont own season tickets, they dont have jobs.....yet. These are kids, they dont have the undying loyalty to this team.......yet. These are kids, they dont really know to complain or wonder aloud about their treatment at a ballpark.....yet. IN an nutshell, what happened was they tried to find a seat (among the more than 30,000 of them that were available in the vast new UsCellular Field) near my cousin, who IS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER. They were hurriedly pushed away, and told they werent allowed in that section, they would have to go to the Upper Deck (where a majority of the seats were empty also) When they explained they were looking for someone, they still werent allowed there. When they tried sitting in another section, closer to the field (again, there were plenty of seats available) they were again asked for their tickets and moved out. Apparently, this went on a few more times and they were finally able to find seats they could sit in Unbothered by Sox Security, around the 7th inning. I explained that because of the Actions of 4 Cub Fans a few nites earlier, the Sox Fans were being treated as if they were the ones who ran the field and assaulted umpires. The sox arent looking at this as an isloated incident, which I know it to be. How many times are Cub Fans going to be at Comiskey anyway? I could tell by the tones of their voices they werent happy about the hassle and cold temperatures, then to be compounded by the Sox terrible play yesterday. I cant help but wonder how this 1st experience of going to the old ballpark on their own, has turned into a Sour Experience. I am angered that somehow, the sox can take an innocent childhood experience, and MESS THAT UP TOO. Im Ashamed.........Of SOX MGMT. Hey White Sox, Look for the People that dont belong there.......namely in Cub Hats.

I hate to sound harsh here, but it is only 6 days since four idiots ran onto the field, and the worst offender sneaked into the box seats while possessing (guess what?) only an upper deck reserved ticket.

I don't see where you or the teenagers have any room to complain. What did you think the Sox were going to do after last Tuesday?

StepsInSC
04-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Sneaking into seats is about as American as Apple Pie.

Haha so true. I mean, America is based on the concept of stealing other people's land, and that parallels it directly!

hose
04-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Right now security is going to check tickets a lot closer because of the 2nd high profile attack on the field.

I remember the Sox were very strict before and seemed to get lack about inforcing it in the past few years.

It's all timing , just as it is the wrong time to be in the B'aath party , it's also the wrong time to be sneaking into box seats, :D:

MHOUSE
04-22-2003, 10:40 PM
While it's nice to upgrade and sit closer, I don't think it should be expected. You're guaranteed the seat you purchased. Anything else is an added bonus. At least until after the Allstar Game they'll be tough on checking tickets. I mean shoot Americans sneak into better seats at baseball, movies, concerts, it is like apple pie. - "McDonalds or homemade?"

Juan Pizarro
04-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Empty park or not, no one has a right to anything other than the seat they purchased. To berate the Sox on this, after the last incident and after MLB said they'd give the Sox extra scrutiny, is unreasonable.

moochpuppy
04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Nothing I hate more than paying $35 dollars for a seat and then some schmuck that paid general admission sneak into a seat two rows ahead of me. IMO, they should be thrown out of the park, period!

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2003, 01:42 PM

Sorry, no one has the right to complain about the White Sox's staff doing their jobs and making sure those with the right tickets sit in the right sections. Whenever I've done the Comiskey Upgrade and gotten busted for it, I accept it and move back to where I'm supposed to be; why should your relatives be an exception to this?

trimbo
04-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Nothing I hate more than paying $35 dollars for a seat and then some schmuck that paid general admission sneak into a seat two rows ahead of me. IMO, they should be thrown out of the park, period!

Well, let's not overdo it. I don't think ballpark ejection for upgrading is reasonable either. Unless they're being unruly, just telling someone to go back to their seat is more than enough enforcement.

I definitely understand your point. I've had $100 hockey seats where really obnoxious guys have come down and annoyed the hell out of me.

On the other hand, if people sneak down and aren't annoying, respect the people who paid for the seats, then what's the problem? I don't think it's a matter of being honest about it or not -- the seats were not purchased! What is the guy going to do, go buy an upgrade during the game?

I have no problem with the stadium enforcing this if they choose, but the easiest way to enforce it is the club finding a way to sell those seats out.

doublem23
04-23-2003, 02:08 PM
I give a pat on the back to Sox security.

Iwritecode
04-23-2003, 02:13 PM

If you see this happening, mention it to one of the ushers. If more people did that, it would make the security guys' jobs much easier, and might even reduce the chance of another "drillrod" with UD tickets from jumping onto the field...

:)

moochpuppy
04-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by trimbo
Well, let's not overdo it. I don't think ballpark ejection for upgrading is reasonable either. Unless they're being unruly, just telling someone to go back to their seat is more than enough enforcement.

Why not? If you can't pay the price, don't play the game (so to speak). What these fans are basically doing is stealing money from Uncle Jerry.

:reinsy

"WHAT?!? That does it, no more renovations."

steff
04-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Hate to say it Hangar.. but I agree with the security. It sucks cause I know those 2 aren't going to run on the field.. but a rule is a rule is a rule. You know where our seats are.. it never fails we find morons there when we first get there. Nothing pleases me more than saying.. "those aren't your seats".

voodoochile
04-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Why not? If you can't pay the price, don't play the game (so to speak). What these fans are basically doing is stealing money from Uncle Jerry.

"WHAT?!? That does it, no more renovations."

*****! Stealing money? No, they are paying for a seat and thus paying Jerry for his services of providing a seat to a baseball game. The fact that there are unused seats at EVERY game means no one gets hurt by someone sitting in them.

If someone is annoying that is a different issue. Ask them to quiet down or go see an usher if their language is offensive.

Security is a different issue also. I understand them cracking down - at least until the AS break it is perfectly understandable. But, if someone buys a seat and then doesn't use the ticket, JR isn't losing dime one. Since most of the LD is sold out all season because of the AS game and increased expectations, JR isn't losing a penny on this transaction. Or, if he is, then he needs to do a better job of marketing the club so there are less empty seats at ballgames. Or, increase the price of UD seats so they are closer to LD prices and end the issue. JR sells those seats cheap on purpose and knows that people move to better locations. He has obviously made the decision that it is better to have people in the park at cheaper prices than not at all.

moochpuppy
04-23-2003, 04:23 PM
:D: I know, I should have used teal in the last sentence. Either way, it still doesn't make it right and it still p*sses me off, I don't care how well mannered they may be.

voodoochile
04-23-2003, 04:28 PM
:D: I know, I should have used teal in the last sentence. Either way, it still doesn't make it right and it still p*sses me off, I don't care how well mannered they may be.

Why? Because you could have done the same thing yourself, but you want to ensure you actually get to sit in the seat you want all game?

BTW, how can you tell which ones are sneaking in and which ones just know where they are going. I am an expert at looking like I belong in a seat when I do the upgrade. No looking around or hemming and hawing. I pick my space from a distance and walk right to it. I, also, tend to be loud and annoying , but hey, I'm deaf, so I don't know that for sure...

moochpuppy
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why? Because you could have done the same thing yourself, but you want to ensure you actually get to sit in the seat you want all game?

No, because I wouldn't do that and never have. I was brought up believing that you get what you pay for. If you want a better seat, then pay for it. Don't cheat your way into what you want.

Originally posted by voodoochile
BTW, how can you tell which ones are sneaking in and which ones just know where they are going. I am an expert at looking like I belong in a seat when I do the upgrade. No looking around or hemming and hawing. I pick my space from a distance and walk right to it. I, also, tend to be loud and annoying , but hey, I'm deaf, so I don't know that for sure...

I can't all the time but when I can I'll make mention of it. So voodoo, since your picture is posted on this site, when I'm at another Sox game you better watch your ass. :D:

Dan H
04-23-2003, 08:51 PM
I can't get too upset with the Sox on this one. I have had issues about the way they treat people at the park, and if the upper deck was not so high, you would have less people going down to the lower deck. But it isn't totally fair to people who buy expensive seats and then have fans get the same pleasure for less money. I have gone down to the boxes when I didn't have a ticket so I don't think it is a crime. But I think the Sox have much bigger issues facing them than this. And you can't blame the Sox for reacting this way.

I can't take this too seriously. White Flag trades, losing seasons, no World Series appearances, true fan alienation. That is what I really take seriously. One other thing. I know those fans were jerks, but I am not really happy with the fact that so many players are anxious to beat up on fans. Violence is wrong, period.

joecrede
04-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Sneaking into seats is one thing, I'd never do it, but hey whatever. What galls me is when these people are caught by the ushers and asked to leave the section they get pissed off about it.

The Comiskey upgrade is the same as stealing no two ways about it.

ihatethecubs
04-24-2003, 05:35 AM
see, i only do the comiskey upgrade on games where the lower deck isnt even fully filled out, and i sit in the sections they didnt sell tickets for, by the foul poles. its usually me and my friends surrounded by empty seats and other people who did the same thing. its cool too so i can yell really loud and not be annoying the people in front of me cuz there arent any. dont be mad at me cuz you paid $35 for a ticket to a game that theres only 10,000 people at, and i only paid $14 and my seats are just as good. you should just have enough common sense to know that when the sox play the devil rays, and its 40 degrees out, and its a wednesday, the park isnt gonna be sold out.

and i dont give a crap if its "the same as stealing." oh well, then i steal quite a bit. i dont care.

hsnterprize
04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
Hate to say it Hangar.. but I agree with the security. It sucks cause I know those 2 aren't going to run on the field.. but a rule is a rule is a rule. You know where our seats are.. it never fails we find morons there when we first get there. Nothing pleases me more than saying.. "those aren't your seats". I'll be the first person to admit that whenever possible, I like to move from one section to another closer to the action. However, with all the stuff that's been going on lately, I agree with you. And that's a shame because it's always a couple of morons who either run on the field, or cause a ruckus in the seats that ruin it for those of us who actually want to go to a game and be on our best behavior.

Kilroy
04-24-2003, 08:01 AM
It's pretty simple. When you upgrade your seats, you understand that you can get booted from the seats you're weaseling at any time either by the ushers, or by a person that has a ticket for that seat. It doesn't matter that no one else is sitting there. If you pay for UD, its not unreasonable for the Sox to not want you sneaking into the higher priced seats. So don't bitch about it. Just take your ass back to your seat, or go to another upgrade. The Sox arent treating anyone poorly by not allowing the upgrades.

What they should do is this: If you upgrade to seats where no one is sitting, and your ticket gets checked, they should give you the opportunity pay the difference and stay in the seats. Of course, you'd do this at your own risk, and still be subject to getting booted if a person holding a ticket for that seat showed up. No refund...

joecrede
04-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
see, i only do the comiskey upgrade on games where the lower deck isnt even fully filled out, and i sit in the sections they didnt sell tickets for, by the foul poles. its usually me and my friends surrounded by empty seats and other people who did the same thing. its cool too so i can yell really loud and not be annoying the people in front of me cuz there arent any. dont be mad at me cuz you paid $35 for a ticket to a game that theres only 10,000 people at, and i only paid $14 and my seats are just as good. you should just have enough common sense to know that when the sox play the devil rays, and its 40 degrees out, and its a wednesday, the park isnt gonna be sold out.

and i dont give a crap if its "the same as stealing." oh well, then i steal quite a bit. i dont care.

I wasn't intimating that you should care that it is stealing. Just that it is indeed stealing.

Do you honestly believe the reason people pay $35 for the same seat you sneak into for $14 is because they don't have the "common sense", as you put it, to realize that seats in those sections won't be readily available to sneak into?

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 12:20 PM
I agree Wholeheartedly. Unless the games a Sell-Out (which is hardly ever the case) I think its ridiculous to throw people out of a seat if theres only 8,000 people in a 44,000 seat stadium.

joecrede
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
I agree Wholeheartedly. Unless the games a Sell-Out (which is hardly ever the case) I think its ridiculous to throw people out of a seat if theres only 8,000 people in a 44,000 seat stadium.

They don't throw people out of seats they have tickets for.

voodoochile
04-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
They don't throw people out of seats they have tickets for.

"Hey, great idea. Then we could charge them twice to see the same game. I could double attendance in a heartbeat..."

steff
04-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I wasn't intimating that you should care that it is stealing. Just that it is indeed stealing.

Do you honestly believe the reason people pay $35 for the same seat you sneak into for $14 is because they don't have the "common sense", as you put it, to realize that seats in those sections won't be readily available to sneak into?

Just want to make note that is someone is paying $35 to sit in a seat in the bowl.. they are a moron cause there are no seats there that cost $35 :D:

steff
04-24-2003, 01:08 PM

Me not agree with you Hangar... :(:

Hangar18
04-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Me not agree with you Hangar... :(:

How dare you Undermine my integrity? heh heh, thats Ok
Steffie, your a-ok in my book. Hopefully next game were at, someone will be sitting in your seats LOL. just kidding. see ya tomrrow by the way

steff
04-24-2003, 01:14 PM
How dare you Undermine my integrity? heh heh, thats Ok
Steffie, your a-ok in my book. Hopefully next game were at, someone will be sitting in your seats LOL. just kidding. see ya tomrrow by the way

I guarentee that tomorrow someone WILL be sitting in our seats before we get there. Happens ALL the time. And they get pissed when we ask them to move! At least we don't have to be mad about someone sitting in front of us paying half price, ya know.. since we're in the FIRST row :D:

TornLabrum
04-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Just want to make note that is someone is paying $35 to sit in a seat in the bowl.. they are a moron cause there are no seats there that cost $35 :D:

The "VIP" seats go on sale day of game for about $35, iirc. A friend of mine is coming in from D.C. and got some tickets through his agent in Baltimore. Fourth row behind the Sox dugout. $35 or $36.

steff
04-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The "VIP" seats go on sale day of game for about $35, iirc. A friend of mine is coming in from D.C. and got some tickets through his agent in Baltimore. Fourth row behind the Sox dugout. $35 or $36.

Well.. he got screwed. $29 this year is the most anyone I have sent over there to by them has paid. This is at the CP Ticket window. Perhaps your friends "agent" made a little something on the deal..?

By the way Hal.. are you going tonight?

moochpuppy
04-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Perhaps your friends "agent" made a little something on the deal..?

The Tribune Co.?