PDA

View Full Version : News on Neal Cotts

Daver
04-22-2003, 11:45 AM
From BA's minor league highlights.

BIRMINGHAM (SOU) LHP NEAL COTTS combined with two relievers on a five-hitter as the Barons blanked the Huntsville Stars, 2-0. Cotts, who was traded to the Chicago White Sox from the Oakland Athletics on December 3, 2002 as part of the Billy Koch-Keith Foulke deal, hurled six strong innings, scattering four hits and striking out five batters en route to his fourth straight win. The 23-year-old southpaw retired 12 straight batters between the second and six innings and, with his third scoreless start, has now allowed just two runs over his first 21 innings in the Double-A Southern League. Cotts, who finished second in the high level Class A California league with 178 strikeouts in 2002, has fanned 30 batters this season, good for third in the league.

Complete article. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/highlights.html)

Hullett_Fan
04-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info Daver.

Should we call him up and send Garland down? :?: \

They're the same age. Having both Cotts and Stewart in the rotation probably wouldn't be ideal...but Garland is struggling and Cotts is making a case.

kermittheefrog
04-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Thanks for the info Daver.

Should we call him up and send Garland down? :?: \

They're the same age. Having both Cotts and Stewart in the rotation probably wouldn't be ideal...but Garland is struggling and Cotts is making a case.

Cotts has just four starts in AA. If he keeps dominating like this I'd say move him up to the AAA but moving him to the majors isn't really an option right now.

hold2dibber
04-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Cotts has just four starts in AA. If he keeps dominating like this I'd say move him up to the AAA but moving him to the majors isn't really an option right now.

Agreed. Does anyone know what Cotts throws? Is he a power pitcher or a finesse guy? What's his "out" pitch?

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Agreed. Does anyone know what Cotts throws?

I think he throws a baseball....I could be wrong though. :D: :gulp:

kermittheefrog
04-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Agreed. Does anyone know what Cotts throws? Is he a power pitcher or a finesse guy? What's his "out" pitch?

He's got an average fastball, a changeup and a great curveball that is his outpitch. His strikeout numbers are ridiculous but he also walks a lot of batters. He'll need to fine tune his control before he will be successful as a starter in the majors.

MHOUSE
04-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Another few good starts will land him in AAA, not the majors. We've got enough starters for right now and shouldn't worry with rushing him up too. Where do all these lefties come from? Buehrle, Stewie, now Cotts?

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Buehrle, Stewie, now Cotts?

Stewie?? When did they sign the baby from Familiy Guy? :D:

NUCatsFan
04-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
Stewie?? When did they sign the baby from Familiy Guy? :D:

Considering the way that Garland, Koch, Gordon, have been pitching, he couldn't be much worse

SoxxoS
04-22-2003, 05:29 PM
He'll need to fine tune his control before he will be successful as a starter in the majors.

:jon

"Even if you don't fine tune your control you can pitch in the majors. Look at me!"

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
Considering the way that Garland, Koch, Gordon, have been pitching, he couldn't be much worse

He'd probably come up with some sort of pitching contraption to help him pitch. LOL.

MisterB
04-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
He'd probably come up with some sort of pitching contraption to help him pitch. LOL.

"Yes! And soon I will pitch the foul contents of my diaper all over the insipid vermin that inhabit this division! HAHAHAHA...."

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
"Yes! And soon I will pitch the foul contents of my diaper all over the insipid vermin that inhabit this division! HAHAHAHA...."

LOL...love the image. where did you get it?

baggio202
04-22-2003, 10:48 PM
He's got an average fastball, a changeup and a great curveball that is his outpitch.

kinda sounds like a scouting report on barry zito???

kermittheefrog
04-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
kinda sounds like a scouting report on barry zito???

I guess you could call him a poor man's Barry Zito due to his arsenal. Zito certainly performed better than Cotts in college and in the minors.

SoxxoS
04-23-2003, 01:00 AM
A poor man's Barry Zito is better than a rich man's Jon Garland.