PDA

View Full Version : If the Braves can send Jason Marquis down

SoxxoS
04-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Then we can send Jon Garland down. He needs to learn how to attack hitters and get some confidence. Considering he has an option left, that is where he should do it.

Marquis and Garland are like clones. Big potential, flahes it at times, and gets shelled all to often. Give Garland one more start, and if pitches like he did today, we can bring up Rauch or Wright. Preferably Wright.

If Wright isn't ready, why not put Ginter in there? He is pitching lights out in AAA, and if you remember for a substantial amount of time last year, he was the only right hander out of the pen getting anybody out. How much worse can he do than Garland?

As posted before, his pitches at 0-2, 1-2, 2-2 are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. Youth is no longer an excuse with this guy. He has two full years now. No excuses. He should know, NO pitches should be down the middle of the plate, especially straight fastballs and hanging curveballs with 2 strikes. He should develop a changeup that he can use regularly, because a lot of his pitches go the same speed. You take that, with lack of location/command, you have the Indians putting up 7 runs on you in 3 innings.

This is really frustrating me.

Nardi, where are you?

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 08:21 PM
I would rather have Wright or Rauch than Ginter. Ginter is a good reliever but is unproven as an MLB starter. I don't think we should be messing with that if we're trying to win NOW. When Wright is ready call him up to replace Garland IF he's still struggling and IF he can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

jeremyb1
04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Then we can send Jon Garland down. He needs to learn how to attack hitters and get some confidence. Considering he has an option left, that is where he should do it.

Marquis and Garland are like clones. Big potential, flahes it at times, and gets shelled all to often. Give Garland one more start, and if pitches like he did today, we can bring up Rauch or Wright. Preferably Wright.

If Wright isn't ready, why not put Ginter in there? He is pitching lights out in AAA, and if you remember for a substantial amount of time last year, he was the only right hander out of the pen getting anybody out. How much worse can he do than Garland?

As posted before, his pitches at 0-2, 1-2, 2-2 are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. Youth is no longer an excuse with this guy. He has two full years now. No excuses. He should know, NO pitches should be down the middle of the plate, especially straight fastballs and hanging curveballs with 2 strikes. He should develop a changeup that he can use regularly, because a lot of his pitches go the same speed. You take that, with lack of location/command, you have the Indians putting up 7 runs on you in 3 innings.

This is really frustrating me.

Nardi, where are you?

i don't think we have the same pitching depth the braves do. the braves sent down marquis to make room for reynolds and hampton proven veterans making a good amount of money. i would look at it as marquis being forced out moreso than his performance leaving the braves no other option than to send him down.

the guys we have to replace garland are rauch who's only started 3 or 4 games in AAA and wright who's still limited to 70 pitches. garland has at least 3 more starts to right ship if you ask me.

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't think we have the same pitching depth the braves do. the braves sent down marquis to make room for reynolds and hampton proven veterans making a good amount of money. i would look at it as marquis being forced out moreso than his performance leaving the braves no other option than to send him down.

the guys we have to replace garland are rauch who's only started 3 or 4 games in AAA and wright who's still limited to 70 pitches. garland has at least 3 more starts to right ship if you ask me.

Good point Jeremy. If he continues to struggle we need to do something. But at the moment our options ARE limited. I think an 0-5 start would warrant being sent down and he needs to get back to 2-2 and look GOOD before people will settle down.

jeremyb1
04-21-2003, 09:40 PM
one other point i failed to mention before when comparing garland and marquis:

65 career starts- 396.1 ip - 4.70 era
38 career starts - 267 ip - 4.28 era

the first set of stats belong to garland while the second set belong to marquis. the first thing that may jump out at you is that marquis has a better career era. however, once one considers the difference in the leagues that's not quite as important. what's most important about these stats is that garlands pitched nearly twice as much as marquis has in the majors. garland in my opinion is much more established than marquis. he has a more proven track record.

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
one other point i failed to mention before when comparing garland and marquis:

65 career starts- 396.1 ip - 4.70 era
38 career starts - 267 ip - 4.28 era

the first set of stats belong to garland while the second set belong to marquis. the first thing that may jump out at you is that marquis has a better career era. however, once one considers the difference in the leagues that's not quite as important. what's most important about these stats is that garlands pitched nearly twice as much as marquis has in the majors. garland in my opinion is much more established than marquis. he has a more proven track record.

Well put Jeremy. It certainly makes a lot more sense of why Marquis can get sent down and why Garland has to sink or swim.