PDA

View Full Version : Trivia:What is Frank doing differently at the plate than in 2000?

SoxxoS
04-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Answer: Hit with an open stance.

We know what happened in 2000. 2nd in MVP voting. 43 homers, .328 BA, with 143 RBI's.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I asked this same question last year. This is really the ultimate paradox.

My thought process, by Frank Thomas

"Well, I can't hit now. I haven't really hit well since 2000. What did I do differently in 2000, that I am not doing now? Hmmm. I have to ask Walt on that one."

If anyone would like to share their possible reasons, please do.

SuperGrover
04-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Answer: Hit with an open stance.

We know what happened in 2000. 2nd in MVP voting. 43 homers, .328 BA, with 143 RBI's.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I asked this same question last year. This is really the ultimate paradox.

My thought process, by Frank Thomas

"Well, I can't hit now. I haven't really hit well since 2000. What did I do differently in 2000, that I am not doing now? Hmmm. I have to ask Walt on that one."

If anyone would like to share their possible reasons, please do.

This is nothing new. Frank dropped the stance early last season after having some issues with it. The problem I think he has with it is that he doesn't cover the outside part of the plate very well with the open stance.

The problem I have with his normal stance is that, not only does he not cover the outside, he can't get to anything on the inner half either. He basically only hits stuff right down the middle (even then its 50/50). Why he can't see this is a question for the ages?

SoxxoS
04-22-2003, 06:31 PM
With his production in 2000, obviously he covered the outside part of the plate just fine. And if he didn't, the production speaks for itself.

SuperGrover
04-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
With his production in 2000, obviously he covered the outside part of the plate just fine. And if he didn't, the production speaks for itself.

Pitchers adjusted to his stance early in 2001-2002, at least, according to some quotes I've read from Thomas. This left him frustrated with his open stance even though his numbers with it in 2002 were much better (especially power wise) than with his current position. Whatever the case, he abandoned it and has yet to go back.

I would love to see Frank adjust his approach at the plate. His technique involves so much movement that its difficult to keep his head still and his hands in tune with the rest of his body. This leads to slightly slower bat speed and the resultant lazy fly balls/popups that have become so common from Frank recently.

Whatever the case, he needs to do something quick. he's not a complete albatross now, but he will be once he starts wlaking at a pace closer to his career average.