PDA

View Full Version : Piersall Was Right...He Has No Balls

34 Inch Stick
04-21-2003, 01:40 PM
4-0 and not looking good in a low pressure outing for him.

capn12
04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Ladies and gentlemen....introducing to you today on April 21st, 2003...........its ..............

Corpse Ball!!!!!!

Starring our favorite Corpse Ball pitcher, Jonny Garland!!!!!!

Mammoo
04-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Alex Fernandez and Jack McDowell were sent down and came back as better pitchers. It's time for a trip to Charlotte for this young man.

cheeses_h_rice
04-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by capn12

Corpse Ball!!!!!!

Aka "The Marshmallow" aka "Judy Garland"....%##$#!

Daver
04-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
It's time for a trip to Charlotte for this young man.

You think he will clear waivers?

NewyorkSoxFan
04-21-2003, 01:52 PM
I am so sick of this guy. Same old thing no real out pitch, and can't put together two good outings. I am sick of looking at his face after he gives up run after run. He must be Kip Wells cousin

NYSF

Juan Pizarro
04-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Would Garland be subject to waivers?
He's been on the big league roster going on the last three years.
To my knowledge, he's never been sent down since being called up in mid-2000.
He has to have an option or two left, doesn't he?

Daver
04-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Would Garland be subject to waivers?
He's been on the big league roster going on the last three years.
To my knowledge, he's never been sent down since being called up in mid-2000.
He has to have an option or two left, doesn't he?

He lost an option year with the Cubs,and I beleive the Sox have sent him down for short periods in two different years.I am basing this strictly on memory though.

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Unless he has an option left then he would not clear waivers. Too many bad/mediocre teams could take a chance on him. He did win 12 games last year and someone could use him. I personally am sick of his sucking and then teasing us with a great outing. Either become good consistently or give up kid. You're driving me nuts!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

SoxxoS
04-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Let's face it. Garland is the guy that is going to thrive with another team. He can't cut it here. He needs a change of scenery, BAD. Problem is, he trade value isn't very high, so it's a lose/lose situation for the Sox.

Were making this Cleveland team look like the Yankees.

Ellis Burks? Karim Garcia?

This loss hurts. Now we get Ponson and Johnson, the Orioles 2 best pitchers. At least Loiaza and Colon are pitching the next 2, and Wright is going to be ready soon.

harwar
04-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Garland reminds me so much of Kevin Brown.The Rangers worked with him for years. The organization and the fans were so sick of him that he was traded for almost nothing.As soon as he was someplace else he got his sinker working and became one of the league's most dominant pitchers.It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the same thing happened to Jon.

SoxxoS
04-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Garland doesn't have a 98 mph fastball to go along with his sinker. More importantly, Kevin Brown is an absolute badass, and is an EXTREME competitor.

Garland's and Brown's sinkers are nowhere alike. I saw Brown pitch last week against the D'Backs, and that pitch is unhittable. Garland will pull of a good one, but doesn't have command of the strike zone to really make it effective.

By the way, Brown possibly has MONO, and wants to make his next scheduled start.

Unregistered
04-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by harwar
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the same thing happened to Jon. Good. Hit the (yellow) bricks, Garland. Just like Leifer, Kip Wells and even Sosa... Good Luck elsewhere, cause you're not doing a damn thing over here but making us crazy.

harwar
04-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Garland doesn't have a 98 mph fastball to go along with his sinker. More importantly, Kevin Brown is an absolute badass, and is an EXTREME competitor. Garland's and Brown's sinkers are nowhere alike.

I was living in Dallas at the time Brown was there and he was not the tough competitor that you've seen the last few years.During most of his outtings with Texas he was just plain scared,and looked totally lost.He was the joke of Dallas.No one back then in Texas ever thought he would amount to much.I believe Jon Garland will be a very good pitcher one day,i doubt if it happens anytime soon tho.

SoxxoS
04-21-2003, 03:32 PM
harwar-
Looking at the statistics from both Garland's and Brown's first couple years, they are similar. Very similar. I didn't know that Brown started his career off so poorly.

However, I have a hard time believing even then he wasn't the competitor he is now. He probably always has been, because you just don't turn something like that on/off. At the beginning, maybe he was a little reserved because of this lack of experience. But with Garland, I never see a fist pump or jawing with Manuel to leave him in there. He doesn't have that fire Brown has. The comparison of their first few years is scary, though. Except-

Brownie complements (and complemented) that sinker with 98 mph. Garland gets up to 93-94 TOPS. Big difference.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-21-2003, 05:12 PM
if garland goes down, who replaces him? i assume stewart moves up and then rauch or adkins or healthy/unhealthy danny wright or matt ginter.

its too bad we just cant clone one of our other starters.

gutless garland is not getting the job done regardless.

DrCrawdad
04-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by capn12
Ladies and gentlemen....introducing to you today on April 21st, 2003...........its ..............

Corpse Ball!!!!!!

Yeah, that's what I thought too! After Garland's first inning, in my gut I just knew the Sox had rolled over.

Garland sure is frustrating. I was impressed with the confident, strong pitcher I saw in Spring Training. I was really hoping that was the pitcher we'd see this year. So far Garland's looked good in one start, and in the first start the Sox defense sure didn't help him.

Losing 2 of 4 to Cleveland at home sure inhales!

LuvSox
04-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Maybe something does need to be done with Garland, just to scare the crap out of everybody else. Can Konerko be any worse at the plate? Jeezus, he's going on a full year of futility, which began after the break last year.

hold2dibber
04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Maybe something does need to be done with Garland, just to scare the crap out of everybody else. Can Konerko be any worse at the plate? Jeezus, he's going on a full year of futility, which began after the break last year.

That's not even close to a full year. Plus, he was hurt during the 2nd half last year. Konerko will put up Konerko numbers again this year - 25 to 30 HRs, 90 to 110 RBIs, OPS in the .850 range. Not to worry. He's a streaky hitter - when he gets hot he'll light it up for a month and has the ability to carry the team on his own.

LuvSox
04-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's not even close to a full year. Plus, he was hurt during the 2nd half last year. Konerko will put up Konerko numbers again this year - 25 to 30 HRs, 90 to 110 RBIs, OPS in the .850 range. Not to worry. He's a streaky hitter - when he gets hot he'll light it up for a month and has the ability to carry the team on his own.

I hope he does, don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of his. I just don't get it. Where is the hitting coach? Is he working with Paulie? He just looks so bad.

Daver
04-21-2003, 06:32 PM
I hope he does, don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of his. I just don't get it. Where is the hitting coach? Is he working with Paulie? He just looks so bad.

:fireward

duke of dorwood
04-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Ward? This years Wavin Wally?

Daver
04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Ward? This years Wavin Wally?

I wanted Gary Ward fired last season.

I still don't agree with the firing of Von Joshua,he was great with the Sox hitters,especially the young guys.

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to bump this up because once again it seems so appropriate. He was given a lead against a weak hitting team and what does he do?

The real sign of pebbles in his sack is every inning after the Sox score a run he seems to give the other team a run back. That has to be deflating to his team.

5th inning, Olivo picks you up by throwing a runner out and what do you do walk, walk, 3-1 homer.

I was never on the "Send Garland Down" bandwagon but he seems to show no poise and no concentration. Let him learn it in a place where he can't hurt the team. Rauch or Ginter should be ready to come back to Chicago.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Just wanted to bump this up because once again it seems so appropriate. He was given a lead against a weak hitting team and what does he do?

The real sign of pebbles in his sack is every inning after the Sox score a run he seems to give the other team a run back. That has to be deflating to his team.

5th inning, Olivo picks you up by throwing a runner out and what do you do walk, walk, 3-1 homer.

I was never on the "Send Garland Down" bandwagon but he seems to show no poise and no concentration. Let him learn it in a place where he can't hurt the team. Rauch or Ginter should be ready to come back to Chicago.

It is time to bring Wright and Rauch up. Send JG down and cut White.

Chisoxfn
05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by daver
:fireward

Agreed if I'm PK, stay far far away from Ward. PK has had a great approach lately and its why he's been hitting. He had a good game today.

Dan Gelo
05-09-2003, 01:38 AM
I agree, Paul did have a decent game today. He should keep doing what he's doing. Try to work the field, and not try to kill it.

bc2k
05-09-2003, 03:48 AM
4-0 and not looking good in a low pressure outing for him.

I like Ed Farmer, but his blind support of Garland is annoying. He's got a boner for him since he's a California boy.

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Garland reminds me so much of Kevin Brown.The Rangers worked with him for years. The organization and the fans were so sick of him that he was traded for almost nothing.As soon as he was someplace else he got his sinker working and became one of the league's most dominant pitchers.It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the same thing happened to Jon.

Garland was made for the National League. The AL just might be way too tough for him.

LuvSox
07-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Can Konerko be any worse at the plate? Jeezus, he's going on a full year of futility, which began after the break last year.

Originally posted by hold2dibber

Now it's a whole year.

WinningUgly!
07-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Now it's a whole year.

LOL! Somebody's been waiting for the AS break. :)

maurice
07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Now it's a whole year.

It looks like that ridiculously long cold streak may be coming to an end. In his last five games, Konerko is .353 OBP / .588 SLG with 4 RBI, and has been hitting bullets instead of two hoppers. Not bad for a man with only one hip. Unfortunately, it gives JM a "reason" to tinker more.

spanishwhite
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Rauch or Ginter should be ready to come back to Chicago.

Rauch is on the DL and Ginter is Charlotte's closer

I believe he has had 8 out of his last 11 starts be quality ones.

Thats better than Colon/Wright and just as good as Buehrle.

Cleveland has always had his number.

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
...... because you just don't turn something like that on/off.

" Its not Over....Nothings ever Over!! "