PDA

View Full Version : Start Rios in CF?

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 01:46 AM
After going 2-4 today Rios is hitting .346 with 9 RBI. He's producing way more than Rowand's .143 and 1 RBI. Although I like Aaron a lot and I think he can help this team in the long term as our CF or 4th outfielder, Jerry might consider starting Rios outright instead of a platoon. Ride out this hot streak or stick with him if he stays on a roll. It would give us another lefty bat in the lineup and with C Lee hitting and Konerko coming around we might have some pop in the 5-7 area. Just a thought and I know I'm not the first to think of it.

TheBigHurt
04-21-2003, 01:49 AM
YUP i would diffently rather Rios starting in Center and so would WSI as showed in a poll a couple of days ago

kermittheefrog
04-21-2003, 04:55 AM
I am afraid of Rios' defense in center and his fragility. Rios has only a handful of career games in center so he most likely wouldn't have the range needed to play out there everyday. Plus he's got a history of injury, playing him everyday in the most demanding outfield position would likely put him on the DL.

So while I'm all for utilizing Rios' bat I think making him an everyday centerfielder is a bit of a stretch.

GASHWOUND
04-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I am afraid of Rios' defense in center and his fragility. Rios has only a handful of career games in center so he most likely wouldn't have the range needed to play out there everyday. Plus he's got a history of injury, playing him everyday in the most demanding outfield position would likely put him on the DL.

So while I'm all for utilizing Rios' bat I think making him an everyday centerfielder is a bit of a stretch.

I don't think Rios is as bad in CF as you're saying.., or is that bad he is gonna cost you games in center. Right now, we need his bat and that's gotta outweigh maybe some defensive inefficiencies.
I think we should take that risk..for know..Or until Rowand gets his head into the game

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I don't think Rios is as bad in CF as you're saying.., or is that bad he is gonna cost you games in center. Right now, we need his bat and that's gotta outweigh maybe some defensive inefficiencies.
I think we should take that risk..for know..Or until Rowand gets his head into the game

He made that sweet diving catch last week in LF. I think he'll be good enough to play CF until Rowand gets back on track. Aaron got messed up in that bike accident and didn't swing a bat all during ST. I think he'll take some time to get back into and will be ok. Rios can't be worse than Milton Bradley :D:

34 Inch Stick
04-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Oof, Milton Bradley. I always wondered why he wasn't a bigger time player. Observing him this weekend he is a dog in the field and on the base paths.

As for Rowand, I think this could have been anticipated. Give him a little while longer to definitively prove himself a 4th outfielder and then it must be plan B.

jlh221fan
04-21-2003, 10:28 AM
He'll start 80% of the games in a platoon, which is enough. I don't want him starting vs. lefties. His defense is a little shaky in center.

T Dog
04-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Oof, Milton Bradley. I always wondered why he wasn't a bigger time player. Observing him this weekend he is a dog in the field and on the base paths.

I don't think I've ever seen a major league centerfielder misplay as many line drives in so short a time as Milton Bradley.

By comparison, Rios is a gold glover. Rowand, though, shows me he is our best defensive centerfielder. I like him out there and think he will hit -- soon I hope.