PDA

View Full Version : Sosa hit in head by pitch

Tavarin
04-20-2003, 04:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0420/1541615.html

Hah, go Torres :)

LuvSox
04-20-2003, 04:18 PM
It's wrong to laugh at someone else's misfortunes. I hope Mr. Sosa is ok and continues being the ultra-mega-superstar Chicago needs.

Grobber33
04-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Tavarin,,,,IF you are laughing at someone(no maytter what uniform they have on)getting hit in the head, you're as big of a moron as the 4 jerks who ran on the field at Comiskey,and the nut who tossed the cellphone at Carl Everett!!!
Did you laugh 6 years ago when Robin Ventura suffered the horrible injury in Sarasota?? How about when Charles Martin slammed Jim McMahon into the turf-wrecking his career in 1986. If you are laughing or celebrating Sosa getting hit in the head,you and anyone else who does the same would be a complete jerk!!!
Stay out of the ballparks, you dont belong! And dont tell us you were only joking, I'M SURE MOST DONT BELEIVE YOU.

ShoelessFred
04-20-2003, 05:49 PM
was it a baseball, or a rum bottle??

:)

T Dog
04-20-2003, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't laugh at Sosa being hurt, but I would have laughed if Torres had done "the hop" after letting the ball go. I didn't see what happened because I was at the Sox game, but Sosa has some bean ball coming to him. He has to learn to be concerned with pitchers throwing inside instead of treating the National League like a game of home run derby.

Tavarin
04-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Grobber, if it was a more serious injury, I wouldn't be laughing. I may hate Sosa, but I don't wish serious injury on him. But, by all reports so far, he only had a few cuts.

from ESPN.com: Chicago Cubs star Sammy Sosa had only a couple of small cuts Sunday despite what he called his scariest moment on a baseball field, being slammed in the side of the head by a pitch.

Grobber33
04-20-2003, 06:12 PM
That said, I'd hate to see your reaction if God-forbid something like this happened to Maggs or Kornerko for example. It's simply bad when a player gets hit in the head by a fastsball,and celabrating it is totally sick,no matter what you think of the Player. I could not stand Albert Belle,but I was sorry to see an injury halt his career.

Jjav829
04-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Thats some scary stuff. I hate Sham-ME but I don't cheer for anyone to get hit in the head.

Check out this picture! Wow! (http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030420/capt.1050872045topix_cubs_pirates_gjp101.jpg)

1951Campbell
04-20-2003, 06:19 PM
I saw it on ESPN...pretty scary, especially with the real audio.

Let's just say that Sammy taking one in the ribs is something that he richly deserves, but beaning is just plain dangerous. I bet Tony C would agree. Or Mike Piazza.

34rancher
04-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Tavarin,,,,IF you are laughing at someone(no maytter what uniform they have on)getting hit in the head, you're as big of a moron as the 4 jerks who ran on the field at Comiskey,and the nut who tossed the cellphone at Carl Everett!!!
Did you laugh 6 years ago when Robin Ventura suffered the horrible injury in Sarasota?? How about when Charles Martin slammed Jim McMahon into the turf-wrecking his career in 1986. If you are laughing or celebrating Sosa getting hit in the head,you and anyone else who does the same would be a complete jerk!!!
Stay out of the ballparks, you dont belong! And dont tell us you were only joking, I'M SURE MOST DONT BELEIVE YOU.
Grobber, I agree with you, but I am surprised that no one has hit him in the past 4 years. With the hop and airplane, it is pretty much amazing that he has never been hit. It also amazes me with the size of his head (or ego), that anyone could miss. I am glad that he is ok though, no person should ever have to suffer that.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2003, 06:48 PM
I don't bother following boring National League ball. Does Torres have a reputation as a headhunter? I know Fogg got tagged for a dinger by Sosa earlier in the game, and Sosa says he doesn't think it was intentional. Of course I don't believe a word of that ****. Sosa is far better off pretending it wasn't intentional, so what else is he going to say?

Could somebody be sending a message to Sosa but goofed with poor aim a bit higher than normal decorum would dictate?

FanOf14
04-20-2003, 07:03 PM
That said, I'd hate to see your reaction if God-forbid something like this happened to Maggs or Kornerko for example. It's simply bad when a player gets hit in the head by a fastsball,and celabrating it is totally sick,no matter what you think of the Player. I could not stand Albert Belle,but I was sorry to see an injury halt his career.

First, I agree with you, I don't cheer for anyone to get hit in the head, but when you come to the Sox site can you please spell the players' names correctly? Also, if I recall correctly, Konerko was hit in the head last year (by Kerry Wood and then almost took it in the head again a week later but got out of the way that time), albeit not nearly as hard as Sosa was drilled today and that time Konerko fell into it trying to get out of the way - no one said Konerko was the brightest tack in the box :D:.

Grobber33
04-20-2003, 07:17 PM
No arguing the typos. KONERKO,K O N E R K O. Suprisingly,I do know how to spell Paul's name,but my typing was never anything I could brag about,especially if I'm trying to type too fast. As for Wood's hitting of Konerko last June 28,Wood had an 8-0 lead and Konerko told me that there was no way Wood was throwing at him--he was wild-had no clue where the ball was going. In fact the morning of that game,Wood went fishing at North Ave Pier,he caught a minow and tried to throw it back in Lake Michigan and missed--that's how wild he was that Friday afternoon!

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 07:28 PM
I can't believe that anyone here would laugh at anyone getting hit in the head. Sox fans are supposed to have a helluva lot more class than that. Remember?

Hangar18
04-20-2003, 07:33 PM
I have to admit, i was watching the SOX game, and during a commercial break, Fox cut in to a replay of Sammy getting plunked. Naturally the first thing I did was Laugh really hard, not because he was hurt, but because Sammy had no idea that ball was coming at him and he'd better move. For some Reason, National League pitchers are afraid to throw him inside and brush him back. Ive always wondered about that. Sammy gets to club those monster shots, because NL pitchers are too stupid to back him off the plate. During the Sox interleague series, he got moved off the plate twice during the series and he didnt like it and was very Surprised. Well Sammy, if you were in the AL, you wouldve been Thrown inside 5 times already this season. Wait til he faces Roger Clemens and the Yanks. Theyre going to move him off the plate and he should get plunked once, not because he should get plunked, but because he wont crowd the plate against AL teams. Sammy has had It GOOD in the NL with their Batting Practice Approach to pitching. No way does Sammy hit that many homers in the AL. No Way. Sammy will shrug it off, and he'll be ok. That said, Id throw at him to move him back.

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I have to admit, i was watching the SOX game, and during a commercial break, Fox cut in to a replay of Sammy getting plunked. Naturally the first thing I did was Laugh really hard, not because he was hurt, but because Sammy had no idea that ball was coming at him and he'd better move. For some Reason, National League pitchers are afraid to throw him inside and brush him back. Ive always wondered about that. Sammy gets to club those monster shots, because NL pitchers are too stupid to back him off the plate. During the Sox interleague series, he got moved off the plate twice during the series and he didnt like it and was very Surprised. Well Sammy, if you were in the AL, you wouldve been Thrown inside 5 times already this season. Wait til he faces Roger Clemens and the Yanks. Theyre going to move him off the plate and he should get plunked once, not because he should get plunked, but because he wont crowd the plate against AL teams. Sammy has had It GOOD in the NL with their Batting Practice Approach to pitching. No way does Sammy hit that many homers in the AL. No Way. Sammy will shrug it off, and he'll be ok. That said, Id throw at him to move him back.

I haven't seen the replay yet, but if he didn't move away from it there are two possibilities. One is that he didn't see it as you said. The other is that seeing it come at him froze him. That's a common reaction, and in fact what eyewitnesses to the Ray Chapman beaning said about his reaction to the pitch that killed him.

Vsahajpal
04-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

*** are you talking about? Have you ever seen Sosa bat? The man stands as far away from the plate as anyone I've ever seen. Some compare it to Clemente's stance in the box. This isn't Bonds or Mo Vaughn we're talking about.

duke of dorwood
04-20-2003, 07:51 PM
He is so lucky he wasnt seriously hurt-that pitch was out of control. what a day for hit batsmen-I liked the Tito Martinez thing-go after him after being forced out-then he misses trying to punch him.

Grobber33
04-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey TornLabrum,,for someone like yourself who has put some good posts here,let me remind you that if Clemens and the other AL Pitchers(yes even the Sox PItchers) try any 'stuff' in Wrigley,they will go down for two reasons,,,it's an NL Park where Pitchers cant hide,and have to bat,,and also Baker will not let his guys get hit without payback. He'll even make Estes hit Clemens(tho I doubt they'll pitch him against the Yanks).Look what happened today to Torres! Juan Cruz hit him back---but not in the head,,he hit him in the leg,and it got him in the knee. Riggleman,Baylor,& Bruce Kim never would have let their pitchers provide "payback". The fact that Torres and the Pirates did not charge the mound on Cruz tells me that the Pirates were indeed throwing at Sosa---not to hit him in the head,but Torres WAS trying to hit him or knock him down,the pitch just got away and sailed too high.

Grobber33
04-20-2003, 08:08 PM
OOOPPS!!! The previous replay was directed Hangar18 not TornLabrum,altho you both a good posters here!!!

Daver
04-20-2003, 08:09 PM
OOOPPS!!! The previous replay was directed Hangar18 not TornLabrum,altho you both a good posters here!!!

If you use the "Quote" button on the bottom right of the page it will automatically quote the post you are responding to.

:redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by daver
If you use the "Quote" button on the bottom right of the page it will automatically quote the post you are responding to.

:redneck

And of course there is always the "edit" button for fixing previous mistakes. As a product of the public schools, I use that one a lot.

:redneck :redneck

pearso66
04-20-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm all for people being pitched inside if they crowd the plate. If I were a pitcher, Bonds would get it right into that elbow that hangs over the plate. It's stupid that batters get away with hanging OVER the plate. I'd pitch them inside until they finally backed off. then I'd pitch it outside

DrCrawdad
04-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey TornLabrum,,for someone like yourself who has put some good posts here,let me remind you that if Clemens and the other AL Pitchers(yes even the Sox PItchers) try any 'stuff' in Wrigley,they will go down for two reasons,,,it's an NL Park where Pitchers cant hide,and have to bat,,and also Baker will not let his guys get hit without payback. He'll even make Estes hit Clemens(tho I doubt they'll pitch him against the Yanks).Look what happened today to Torres! Juan Cruz hit him back---but not in the head,,he hit him in the leg,and it got him in the knee. Riggleman,Baylor,& Bruce Kim never would have let their pitchers provide "payback". The fact that Torres and the Pirates did not charge the mound on Cruz tells me that the Pirates were indeed throwing at Sosa---not to hit him in the head,but Torres WAS trying to hit him or knock him down,the pitch just got away and sailed too high.

I saw ESPN's pregame this evening. Bobby Valentine was talking about why players today are more likely to get hit. They showed a few clips of Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle and other sluggers of decades past. Each of these players stepped away from the plate, much different than players of today who stride into the pitch. Valentine said that makes it very difficult to get out of the way.

Amazing how in the days before the batting helmut players protected their coconuts and still produced. I sure would never step into a batters box without a helmut...and full body armor.

hose
04-20-2003, 09:34 PM

That goes without saying . The beanball is nothing to laugh about.

Tony Colinganaro (sp ?) had to be one of the worse ones that I can remember. I'm sure they are other terrible ones but Tony's eye....whoa!!

The Penguin got beaned by Goose Gossage in the WS , that was scary.

I haven't seen the highlights of Sosa yet , but it sounds like he got it pretty good.

As far as the pay back for Roger Clemens by Shawn Estes goes it was completely and totally out of line. You have to take care of any retribution as quick as possible , either in the same game or the next day. Letting bad feelings fester over a year and then plunking someone in a planned calculating matter has no place in the game.

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 09:47 PM

I read your followup, but I will make one comment. There is a difference between a brushback pitch and a beanball. I have no problems with brushback pitches.

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by hose
That goes without saying . The beanball is nothing to laugh about.

Tony Colinganaro (sp ?) had to be one of the worse ones that I can remember. I'm sure they are other terrible ones but Tony's eye....whoa!!

The Penguin got beaned by Goose Gossage in the WS , that was scary.

I haven't seen the highlights of Sosa yet , but it sounds like he got it pretty good.

As far as the pay back for Roger Clemens by Shawn Estes goes it was completely and totally out of line. You have to take care of any retribution as quick as possible , either in the same game or the next day. Letting bad feelings fester over a year and then plunking someone in a planned calculating matter has no place in the game.

Don Zimmer has a silver plate in his head as the result of a beaning in the minors.

voodoochile
04-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Don Zimmer has a silver plate in his head as the result of a beaning in the minors.

The ESPN replay showed Sosa's helmet - it was cracked where the brim comes together with the helmet. The crack extended almost to the earhole...

hose
04-20-2003, 10:32 PM

That may explain why he took the Cubs job :D:

I knew about Zim getting beaned and the plate in his head but it was before my time and I didn't see it.

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2003, 11:41 PM
I just saw a few replays of the incident, after catching a bit of it earlier today. And it was a pretty brutal plunking -- right to his coconut, he had no time to react. The fact that the pitch broke his helmet into pieces says a lot, IMO. Not a pretty way to get a free base.

I've thought for years that Sham-ME has needed some plunkings, but not this way. Hit him in "the meat" but not his head. This appeared totally unintentional.

vegyrex
04-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Isn't this a long time coming?? ShamEE is the biggest hot dog in baseball. If he was facing Bob Gibson he most certainly would have been drilled a long time ago.
Should ShamEE have been hit in the head? Maybe not with a fast ball. :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2003, 12:27 AM
There's no question that, following one home-run hop, guys like Gibson, Drysdale, Wynn, Maglie, etc. would have drilled him, probably the next several times he came up, but it would have been in the ribs. When you hit a homer in those days, you got your butt around the bases, head down, received a manly handshake from the third base coach and the next batter, and got back in the dugout.

That helmet was not just cracked; a big chunk of the earflap was broken out. Back in the days before helmets, he might have been killed.

TheBigHurt
04-21-2003, 01:16 AM
**NO comment**or Indiffernce :)

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 01:19 AM
Of course it's scary when anyone (even a dick like Sosa) gets plunked in the head. But once they said he was ok I had a big laugh. I am so surprised with all his ego and antics that he doesn't get beaned more often. He's such an a-hole and pitchers are scared. Even if they pitched him inside I doubt he would knock it off, but at least he'd have to take a few bruises. I like the fact that pitchers and managers have paybacks and such. You have to defend your teammates and stay even. It's more fun that way. I'm glad he's ok, but I hope he learns something. Keep pitching inside NL!

ihatethecubs
04-21-2003, 04:38 AM
he deserves to be hit about 300 more times to make up for all the obnoxious 'i am jesus christ' home run hops. just not in the head like that. and i dont care, say how much of a terrible person i am all you want. i laughed when i saw it. HAHAHAHAHA at least im honest. i couldnt help it, i hate that man so much.

he didnt die.

hsnterprize
04-21-2003, 08:06 AM
That said, I'd hate to see your reaction if God-forbid something like this happened to Maggs or Kornerko for example. It's simply bad when a player gets hit in the head by a fastsball,and celabrating it is totally sick,no matter what you think of the Player. I could not stand Albert Belle,but I was sorry to see an injury halt his career. I'm siding with you on this one. God forbid Sosa's hit in the head would lead to something worse than a couple of cuts. As much as I want the Cubs to lose, no win is worth it if a player gets seriously injured because he gets hit in the head with a ball. And like Grobber33 said, if it were one of the Sox players who got hit, who knows what the reaction would be? I'll say many WSIers posting on this thread would cry bloody murder, no matter how accidental the throw was.

C'mon Sox fans...we're better than that. As much as we can't stand the Cubs, let's show some respect in this case. Of course Sammy's okay, and that's good. If anything, I'm sure we'd rather see the Cubs lose legitimately instead of some schmuck deliberately throwing at someone's head.

DrCrawdad
04-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I'm siding with you on this one. God forbid Sosa's hit in the head would lead to something worse than a couple of cuts. As much as I want the Cubs to lose, no win is worth it if a player gets seriously injured because he gets hit in the head with a ball...

C'mon Sox fans...we're better than that. As much as we can't stand the Cubs, let's show some respect in this case. Of course Sammy's okay, and that's good. If anything, I'm sure we'd rather see the Cubs lose legitimately instead of some schmuck deliberately throwing at someone's head.

I agree with you. I'm glad that Sosa's ok.

It's totally uncool to hit any batter in the head, and worse for anyone to celebrate it.

When a few Sox fans react like this it only gives the media fuel for further anti-Sox feces.

Dan H
04-21-2003, 08:47 AM
I am glad to see many are not laughing about Sosa getting hit in the head. I think he needs to be brushed back some, but beanballs to the head are no laughing matter. And we are supposed to better fans and people than the losers who ran on the field. One thing we need to remember: this is baseball, not war. Hurting someone should not be the goal. Not that war should be glorified either.

Hangar18
04-21-2003, 08:54 AM
wow, everyone has something to say about beanballs, thats good. As I said earlier, I laughed only because sammy isnt used to pitches coming in at him, and thats the way it is. Hes had it good in the NL. I think if hed been plunked before, he wouldnt have gotten hit. Also, that pitch looked like it sailed right towards him. Sammy Didnt flinch. sammy will be aok. Though i heard on espn, that pitcher got hit by Cruz was hit in the knee, and was Injured and taken out of the game..........

gosox41
04-21-2003, 09:12 AM

While I don't want to see someone actually get hit in the head, if anyone is deserving of knock down pitches it's Sosa. All that showboating he does and he gets away with it. The pitcher's ride his fame as a meal ticket. Sosa can taking his kissing the finger salute and bunny hop and shove it. Back when men were men and the union had less player involvement Sosa never would have had the chance to hit as many home runs with all his gloating because he'd be eating dirt every time he did his Belmont/Broadway appropriate 'Bunnyhop'

Bob

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 09:21 AM
If Maggs or Paulie or Frank got hit like that would there have been this much attention. That article linked in the original post was really detailed/concerned. Not that media wouldn't care if the same happened to a Sox player, but would they make as big of a deal? I don't know.

T Dog
04-21-2003, 10:32 AM
I haven't seen the replay yet, but if he didn't move away from it there are two possibilities. One is that he didn't see it as you said. The other is that seeing it come at him froze him. That's a common reaction, and in fact what eyewitnesses to the Ray Chapman beaning said about his reaction to the pitch that killed him.

I've read that Ray Chapman was bunting, coming into the pitch against Carl Mays, a hard-throwing submariner with a reputation for pitching inside. I'm sure Chapman had to overcome fear of being hit when he came to the plate. That natural fear is one reason hitting is such a difficult thing to do consistently well.

Sosa doesn't seem to have any fear at the plate, not because he's fearless, but because no one has given him reason to have fear at the plate. That lack of fear is one reason why he puts up the kind of home run numbers that he does. Cub fans even celebrate the ritual dance that he does when he hits home runs. Sosa is lucky he doesn't get thrown at before he gets back to the dugout.

American League pitchers do a good job of reminding Frank Thomas and other Sox hitters that they could be hit. It's about time Sammy Sosa played by the same rules as everyone else.

Hangar18
04-21-2003, 10:37 AM

Thank You Grobb, always nice to hear a compliment from a media member. thanks

ShoelessFred
04-22-2003, 06:38 PM
grobber in the media? i just thought he was the guy that went to the games to get the free lunch in the press box?

Grobber33
04-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
grobber in the media? i just thought he was the guy that went to the games to get the free lunch in the press box?

Hey Fred, before you make cracks like that,know what the heck you are talking about--which you dont. The media PAY$ for all food in the Press Box at "Comiskey", Wrigley,and the United Center. Bet I spend more money on food at ballparks and pick up checks in Restaurants in a week then you do in a season! When someone has an oppinion other than yours,do you always retort with a cheapshot?
LES

hose
04-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey Fred, before you make cracks like that,know what the heck you are talking about--which you dont. The media PAY$ for all food in the Press Box at "Comiskey", Wrigley,and the United Center. Bet I spend more money on food at ballparks and pick up checks in Restaurants in a week then you do in a season! When someone has an oppinion other than yours,do you always retort with a cheapshot?
LES

The following two games after Sosa's beaning Joey Lawerence hits 3 Cubs and the next day Wood hits 3 Padres.

Totally unrelated to Sundays Sosa beaning where Cruz didn't try to hide his intent to retaliate do you think Wood wanted to even up the score seeing how Lawerence hit Sosa?

One could argue that Wood doesn't have good control based on his history of walks and wildness and the hits batsmen at the time were the last thing he wanted to do. What's your take ?

$1 hot dogs on Thursdays at the "Cell" demand that Reinsdorf treats the media to the same prices :D:

T Dog
04-24-2003, 06:24 PM
LES

When I was in college, taking pictures at a Chicago Bulls-Indiana Pacers game at Market Square Arena, I got a free sandwich at halftime along with Bob Logan and the rest of the media. They offered me a beer, too, but I told them I was under age. I thought the First Amendment guaranteed freebies for the press.

WhiteSox = Life
04-24-2003, 06:48 PM
It's "freedom of the press", not "freedoms for the press".

:smile:

Just a quick comment of the Sosa beaning. Nobody should be hit in the chest or head. That's just too dangerous. Thankfully, everybody's okay, the series is over, and the Cubs and Padres can get back to their style of baseball: losing.

hsnterprize
04-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
When I was in college, taking pictures at a Chicago Bulls-Indiana Pacers game at Market Square Arena, I got a free sandwich at halftime along with Bob Logan and the rest of the media. They offered me a beer, too, but I told them I was under age. I thought the First Amendment guaranteed freebies for the press. It also depends on where you go to cover a game. I pay for food when I cover the Cubs, Sox, and Black Hawks. However, when I've gone to Wolves games, I've eaten a buffet-style meal before the game for free. The rules for food are different in each arena/stadium. Not to mention, the First Amendment has nothing to do with whether or not a reporter gets a free sandwich or something like that when they cover a story or game.

T Dog
04-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
It also depends on where you go to cover a game. I pay for food when I cover the Cubs, Sox, and Black Hawks. However, when I've gone to Wolves games, I've eaten a buffet-style meal before the game for free. The rules for food are different in each arena/stadium. Not to mention, the First Amendment has nothing to do with whether or not a reporter gets a free sandwich or something like that when they cover a story or game.

And many newspapers have policies that prohibit reporters from taking free food. Of course, if you're covering a capital murder trial, it rarely comes up. Do I need a special color to denote an attempt at humor?

hsnterprize
04-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
And many newspapers have policies that prohibit reporters from taking free food. Of course, if you're covering a capital murder trial, it rarely comes up. Do I need a special color to denote an attempt at humor? Oops...sorry I didn't catch the joke.