PDA

View Full Version : Big Bartolo's MPH?

DrCrawdad
04-20-2003, 12:43 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/ph_play_mugshot_112526.jpg

After Bartolo's last start I read in the paper where Manual said that Bartolo was throwing 98 MPH at the end of the game. I watched the game at my in-laws out in Oswego. I wasn't able to clearly read the pitch speed but it didn't seem as though Bartolo was throwing at 98 MPH.

What do you think? Has Bartolo been throwing 98 MPH, as the Sox staff has said?

Daver
04-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

After Bartolo's last start I read in the paper where Manual said that Bartolo was throwing 98 MPH at the end of the game. I watched the game at my in-laws out in Oswego. I wasn't able to clearly read the pitch speed but it didn't seem as though Bartolo was throwing at 98 MPH.

Two things,the gun at The Cell is always 3-4 MPH higher than what the pitcher is throwing,and judjing a pitcher by a gun reading doesn't tell you a whole lot.

:redneck

DrCrawdad
04-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
Two things,the gun at The Cell is always 3-4 MPH higher than what the pitcher is throwing,and judjing a pitcher by a gun reading doesn't tell you a whole lot.

The Crawdad's are heading out to the game today.

Hey, it's a nice day. We've got nothing to do let's go to the game. That's one great thing about the Sox, being able to make a last minute decision to head to a game and still get decent seats.

RedPinStripes
04-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Colon is a freak of nature though. He throws harder as the game goes on. he'll hit 93-94 consistantly in the 1st 3 innings and he's hitting 98-99 from the 7th on. A lot of guys slow down, he hasnt in the past.

Brian26
04-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Dont have any gun readings in front of me, but I dont doubt it. You could tell that Colon turned up the heat for that big inning-ending strikeout in the 7th (or was it the 8th?).

CHISOXFAN13
04-20-2003, 01:46 PM
That last pitch he threw in the 8th inning was the hardest all night. The speed pitch wasn't working at the park, but you don't need to be a brain surgeon to realize he was close to the century mark with that pitch.

kermittheefrog
04-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by daver

Unless they have changed the gun reporting at the cell there is no way it inflates velocity like that. Whenever I'm at games I take note of the pitcher's velocity. Buehrle was consistently in the upper 80's by the cell gun. Dan Wright had been the hardest thrower on the Sox consistently hitting 92-94 and occasionally hitting 95. This is pretty much what you'd expect if you read scouting reports. The only guys I can remember breaking 95 were Kyle Farnsworth and Matt Anderson.

hose
04-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Jim Parque was hitting 98 KPH :D:

baggio202
04-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
That last pitch he threw in the 8th inning was the hardest all night. The speed pitch wasn't working at the park, but you don't need to be a brain surgeon to realize he was close to the century mark with that pitch.

that was the at bat to travis hafner..bartolo threw two pitches by him that had to be atleast 98...hafner was so late on both of those swings he didnt stand a chance..

bartolo pictches in a pinch...he throws 93-94 most of the time but when he needs a big out he can rush it up there close to 100mph...he just picks and chooses his spots...its why he can throw a lot of innings..cause most of the time he isnt throwing his hardest