PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wright As Our New Closer?

Brian26
04-20-2003, 11:00 AM
This thought popped into my head yesterday. Josh Stewart has pitched well so far, and maybe our starting 5 are set now. Danny Wright seems like he would be tailor made for the role of closer. He can be unhittable in one and two inning stints. It seems like his biggest problems always come after 5 or 6 innings. I think he has the stuff talent-wise to be a super closer. Dont give up on Koch yet, but if things go south with Koch, who knows.

WinningUgly!
04-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
This thought popped into my head yesterday. Josh Stewart has pitched well so far, and maybe our starting 5 are set now. Danny Wright seems like he would be tailor made for the role of closer. He can be unhittable in one and two inning stints. It seems like his biggest problems always come after 5 or 6 innings. I think he has the stuff talent-wise to be a super closer. Dont give up on Koch yet, but if things go south with Koch, who knows.

Are you talking just this season or long term?

voodoochile
04-20-2003, 11:11 AM

IIRC, Daver said the same thing last year. I would rather see Danny as a starter until he proves he cannot handle it. I think his ability to throw a lot of pitches would be wasted in the closer role. I honestly don't know why people are so hyped to stop this kid from starting he has great stuff, has the potential to be a major workhorse and has made some steady improvement, including his last 4 starts last year - all of which he won against solid opponents. Danny gets into problems early in games as I see it. He also tends to walk a lot of guys which is a trait I definitely do NOT want in the Sox closer.

Joel Perez
04-20-2003, 11:49 AM
If my memory is right, Baseball Weekly and Baseball America felt that DWright was more suited for the pen rather than starting anyway, since he has some heavy action in his hard throwing stuff...who knows?

I agree with Voodoo....stick Wright back in the rotation until otherwise....I wonder if Garland can go back to AAA to straighten himself out???

voodoochile
04-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
If my memory is right, Baseball Weekly and Baseball America felt that DWright was more suited for the pen rather than starting anyway, since he has some heavy action in his hard throwing stuff...who knows?

I agree with Voodoo....stick Wright back in the rotation until otherwise....I wonder if Garland can go back to AAA to straighten himself out???

What does JG need to straighten out? He looked pretty damn decent his last start. He needs to find consistency, but he has nothing left to prove in the minors. He needs to sink of swin with the big league club, IMO.

Daver
04-20-2003, 11:57 AM
I wonder if Garland can go back to AAA to straighten himself out???

He'd have to clear waivers to do so,and I know he would get claimed.

kermittheefrog
04-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
IIRC, Daver said the same thing last year. I would rather see Danny as a starter until he proves he cannot handle it. I think his ability to throw a lot of pitches would be wasted in the closer role. I honestly don't know why people are so hyped to stop this kid from starting he has great stuff, has the potential to be a major workhorse and has made some steady improvement, including his last 4 starts last year - all of which he won against solid opponents. Danny gets into problems early in games as I see it. He also tends to walk a lot of guys which is a trait I definitely do NOT want in the Sox closer.

I agree with that one. I want to see Wright back in the rotation.

baggio202
04-20-2003, 10:28 PM
danny wright proved to me he was starter material when he was throwing 96 mph in his CG against the red sox(?) last year in the 9th inning...a guy can throw that hard at the end of a game needs every opportunity to fail as a starter...last thing i want to see is us pull a kip wells with danny and give up on him one year too early...

WinningUgly!
04-20-2003, 10:38 PM
I don't want to see Wright in the pen this year, unless he really struggles once he returns to the rotation. Even then, AAA is the better option to get him back to form.

TheBigHurt
04-21-2003, 01:23 AM
I wonder if Garland can go back to AAA to straighten himself out???

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 01:28 AM
Wright won 14 games last year, second only to Buehrle's 19. I think he deserves every chance to be a full time starter until he struggles so much that he can't handle it. He can throw a lot of pitches and gets after hitters. I love watching his starts and I think he could be a stud #3 pitcher to eat innings and hold down the fort. His first major league appearance was in relief and he's made every start since then. How does everyone know he'd be so great from the 'pen? This kid's a starter!

pudge
04-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Remember, Kenny Williams mentioned Wright as a possible "closer of the future" when Foulke's negotiations were going on a couple years ago... the way Koch is going now, I'd love to see Wright get a chance as a closer... but if Garland continues to suck, we'll need another starter first.

TheBigHurt
04-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by pudge
but if Garland continues to suck, we'll need another starter first.

RAUCH

MHOUSE
04-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
RAUCH

Wright first, then Rauch. Wait your turn JON!

baggio202
04-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Wright first, then Rauch. Wait your turn JON!

rauch and stewart in the back of the rotation???...i guess it could work but i think if we need to start pulling bodies from charlotte and birmingham that expectation of post season might have to be dropped...we are already looking for an everyday CF and while jimenez , olivo and crede have all contributed to victories so far, they are real young too..we can only get so young before the lack of experience hurts us...

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 09:16 AM
hopefully Not-Wrong can come back and take JG's spot so JG can go to the pen where he seems actually be effective.

MHOUSE
04-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
hopefully Not-Wrong can come back and take JG's spot so JG can go to the pen where he seems actually be effective.

Yes! Good idea. Start Danny. Garland has been effective in the past from the bullpen.

Iguana775
04-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes! Good idea. Start Danny. Garland has been effective in the past from the bullpen.

I think he is destined for the pen. that is the only place he has consistency.

foulkesfan11
04-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Are you high? Wright as a closer? He can't even pitch as a starter. I hope he never comes back, though he can't be much worse than Jon Garland lately.

bc2k
04-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Josh Stewart has pitched well so far, and maybe our starting 5 are set now. He can be unhittable in one and two inning stints. It seems like his biggest problems always come after 5 or 6 innings.

Starting 5 are set? Are you serious?

Originally posted by voodoochile

I would rather see Danny as a starter until he proves he cannot handle it. I think his ability to throw a lot of pitches would be wasted in the closer role. I honestly don't know why people are so hyped to stop this kid from starting he has great stuff, has the potential to be a major workhorse and has made some steady improvement, including his last 4 starts last year - all of which he won against solid opponents. Danny gets into problems early in games as I see it. He also tends to walk a lot of guys which is a trait I definitely do NOT want in the Sox closer.

Ditto.

Dan Wright as a closer was something that Ed Farmer frequently mentioned in the past. I think he could succeed as a closer but because of all Voodoo has just said, I agree that he should be starting.

Just because he would be a great closer does not mean he cannot be a great starter.

MHOUSE
04-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Are you high? Wright as a closer? He can't even pitch as a starter. I hope he never comes back, though he can't be much worse than Jon Garland lately.

Wright can pitch. The kid has balls. He throws hard and gets after hitters. He doesn't puss out on the mound like a Kip Wells or a Jon Garland. He takes his licks but he wins. He won 14 games last year, 2nd on the team. He's pretty consistent but for a bad outing here or there. The same can't be said for Garland.....

foulkesfan11
04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Wright can pitch. The kid has balls. He throws hard and gets after hitters. He doesn't puss out on the mound like a Kip Wells or a Jon Garland. He takes his licks but he wins. He won 14 games last year, 2nd on the team. He's pretty consistent but for a bad outing here or there. The same can't be said for Garland.....

My point was that they both suck. Wright & Garland may win games once in a while, but are too inconsistent.