PDA

View Full Version : 14 years and counting....

Tragg
04-19-2003, 10:48 PM
For the last 14 years, the Sox have been at least an average team (yea, below 500 by a few games once or twice, but basically average at worst) - and usually above average. That's quite a run, especially for those of us who followed this team in the 1970s (2 winning teams) or the 1980s (maybe 4 winning teams or so).
Jerry hasn't made the step to "go for the gold"; on the other hand, he hasn't pulled a Pittsburg a Toronto or a Cleveland either. And I know all 3 played in the WS - but the owners inexpelicably for Toronto and Cleveland, decided to turn their team into AAA commodities.
It's early, but I like this team - lots of pitching depth, a team peppered with both youth and veterans - things are looking good.
And it's time to give a tip of the hat to Kenny Williams - I've beaten on him as much as most - and he made 2 horrific trades (Ritchie and Clayton) and seems to get shortchanged during July's dump the vets time - but he's also made one great blockbuster as well as numerous quality small trades that have really improved our depth.

Daver
04-19-2003, 11:01 PM
KW gave up Aaron Myette for Clayton,that was not a bad trade,it worked out to be a negative,but it was not a bad trade,Myette proved it today.

As far as the July dumps,the book is still out on that.

TornLabrum
04-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
For the last 14 years, the Sox have been at least an average team (yea, below 500 by a few games once or twice, but basically average at worst) - and usually above average. That's quite a run, especially for those of us who followed this team in the 1970s (2 winning teams) or the 1980s (maybe 4 winning teams or so).
Jerry hasn't made the step to "go for the gold"; on the other hand, he hasn't pulled a Pittsburg a Toronto or a Cleveland either. And I know all 3 played in the WS - but the owners inexpelicably for Toronto and Cleveland, decided to turn their team into AAA commodities.
It's early, but I like this team - lots of pitching depth, a team peppered with both youth and veterans - things are looking good.
And it's time to give a tip of the hat to Kenny Williams - I've beaten on him as much as most - and he made 2 horrific trades (Ritchie and Clayton) and seems to get shortchanged during July's dump the vets time - but he's also made one great blockbuster as well as numerous quality small trades that have really improved our depth.

Still, the White Sox haven't been to the World Series since 1959 and haven't won one since 1917. And as for their current 14 year run of being average or better, try this. From 1951-1967 the Sox went seventeen consecutive seasons above .500 (and not with a couple of years a game or two below).

I'm not about to accept mediocrity as a standard, not for a club that is in the third largest market in the nation.

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-20-2003, 02:09 AM
I agree with most of these posts. 14 years of .500 or better baseball is good but......

The only real positive is that they are consistently better than the cubs which is important.

The downside is the annual crushing of our hopes because they are always close to putting it together.

My feeling is that having a better record than the cubs and making sure we win the season series with them is an important start.

However, I have grown disenchanted with just being average with a few good season (93,94,2000) where they break our hearts.

Personally, I don't care if they make the playoffs anymore, it is World Series Champions or bust!

As fans we need to raise our expectations and accept nothing less than a title.

Do you think Yankee fans want to just make the playoffs or do they hold out for what they consider their birthright, the title? Are we less deserving then them? I think not.

Dan H
04-20-2003, 09:24 AM
I agree with the sentiment that average seasons or mere division titles aren't enough. Though a team needs to win a division or wild card to go the World Series, getting into the playoffs doesn't mean what it used to. When division play began in 1969, a division winner was one series and three games from a World Series. Now the team is two series and seven games from a World Series. So a division title is beginning to be just a step in the process.

Since 1959, seven exansion teams have gone to the Series. The White Sox are way overdue. That is why I hated the White Flag Trade and all the Hope Springs Eternal talk. I have heard the pep talks about rebuilding and hopes for the future. The future should be now, not 100 years from now.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Three cheers for the thoughts echoed by both Torn and Dan. They nailed it right on the head!

Lip

voodoochile
04-20-2003, 10:27 AM
IIRC, the Sox had one of the best records in the Majors during the 90's, but all they had to show for it was the lone division title. I like to see a winning club also, but in the end the only wins that matter are post season wins and those have been few and far between for our boys in black.

JR needs to stop planning for tomorrow and put a pennant winner on the field NOW. That means for a year or two he should do whatever is necessary (including forsaking his precious profit if need be) to build a champion - a World Series Champion. The inability of this regime to get to "Point C" is a huge glaring weakness. Winning more than they lose in the regular season is nice, but in the end, a World Series trophy is how a team is measured.

BTW, having a better record than the flubbies is merely nice, it doesn't mean squat in the grander scheme of things. How about a better record than the Indians, Royals, Tigers, Twins, Mariners, Yankees and A's. Even that won't mean anything if it doesn't carry over into post-season success...

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-20-2003, 09:30 PM
I agree and apologize if my earlier post mislead members of the group. I didn't not mean to imply that finishing better than the cubs was an end unto itself. Rather, I was pointing out that finishing .500 or better generally accomplishes that and both are not that great. I agree, point C must be taken now. I would trade a few losing seasons for a ring NOW!. If we had a title in the last 80 years I might be more patient.

LuvSox
04-21-2003, 07:41 AM
After watching Field Of Dreams last night I can't help but think if it wasn't for '19, this team would be quite a bit more successful. Who's to blame for our suffering? Comiskey? Judge Landis? Rothstein? Who sold OUR soul?

Hangar18
04-21-2003, 12:59 PM
having decent teams is one thing, in a one team city, but the Sox should now realize the corner theyve painted themselves (with no help from the Media) in by not having gone to a World Series yet. The problem is they play in a city with another team (different league) also sharing the cities hopes. If they foolishly let that other team make it there first, the Sox might as well shut it down because the Media will put on one of Largest, most Expansive Love/Fluff Campaigns Ever Devoted to a single professional/amateur sports team in the History of recorded Journalism. The "reporting" of this "news" will blur between actual "newsreporting" and fan gushing and propoganda. It will be years after this Journalistic Armegeddon, that people will reaize the news media cant be trusted, having crossed the line between Media Reporting the story to MediaSensationalizing/Becoming Part Of The Story