PDA

View Full Version : WGN 1959 Sox Feature

Lip Man 1
04-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Those of you who watched the game today on WGN-TV may have noticed the special feature they ran after the Sox win. Because the game ended so early they needed some "filler" material and ran an almost ten minute piece on the 1959 Sox.

The story was OK, I don't think it was as good as the 1977 feature they ran after a Sox / Montreal game last June. It had some newsreel material and some color film highlights of the 1959 World Series.

Interviewed during the story were former 59 players Billy Pierce, Ken McBride, Jim Landis, Omar "Turk" Lown and the late Al Smith.

Here's the kicker though.....after seeing it I called both Pierce and Landis to ask if they had received a copy of this from either the Sox or WGN. Both said no!

How do you like that! Those organizations ask those guys for their time for an interview and don't even give them a copy. Typical eh? Anyway since I have it on tape I told both of those former players that I'd be happy to make them a copy and mail it to them in suburban Chicago and Napa, California this week.

Dan Helpinstein was right, the Sox just don't seem to care much about their history or the players who actually created it.

Lip

TornLabrum
04-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Those of you who watched the game today on WGN-TV may have noticed the special feature they ran after the Sox win. Because the game ended so early they needed some "filler" material and ran an almost ten minute piece on the 1959 Sox.

The story was OK, I don't think it was as good as the 1977 feature they ran after a Sox / Montreal game last June. It had some newsreel material and some color film highlights of the 1959 World Series.

Interviewed during the story were former 59 players Billy Pierce, Ken McBride, Jim Landis, Omar "Turk" Lown and the late Al Smith.

Here's the kicker though.....after seeing it I called both Pierce and Landis to ask if they had received a copy of this from either the Sox or WGN. Both said no!

How do you like that! Those organizations ask those guys for their time for an interview and don't even give them a copy. Typical eh? Anyway since I have it on tape I told both of those former players that I'd be happy to make them a copy and mail it to them in suburban Chicago and Napa, California this week.

Dan Helpinstein was right, the Sox just don't seem to care much about their history or the players who actually created it.

Lip

Was the feature produced by WGN or the White Sox? I only caught the last part and didn't see a copyright notice. Blame should be assessed on the correct party.

Also, the Sox do continue to employ Pierce as one of their community relations representatives to make personal appearances for them. They haven't completely neglected him.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2003, 02:10 AM
You certainly can't expect Lip to pass up a chance to rip on Sox management, even with no reason to believe that they are at fault.

How likely is it that the Sox produced that segment? It was almost certainly done by WGN, who would own the rights to the old footage, since they broadcast the games back then.

I did enjoy the retrospective.

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You certainly can't expect Lip to pass up a chance to rip on Sox management, even with no reason to believe that they are at fault.

How likely is it that the Sox produced that segment? It was almost certainly done by WGN, who would own the rights to the old footage, since they broadcast the games back then.

I did enjoy the retrospective.

As I said, I only saw the last part (World Series). That footage was taken from the MLB film of highlights from the series (filmed by Lew Fonseca), so the footage for that at least was copyrighted by MLB.

As for the videotaped image, I'm like you and will bet dollars to doughnuts that it was produced by WGN. I don't think they farm out their production to anyone. They have plenty of equipment with which to go on location to do interviews.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Dan Rohn did a short voice over for a small segment which leads me to think it was done by WGN. However according to Jim he said it sounded to him like the interviews were done at Sox Fest from a few seasons ago since Smith was still alive.

To me having been in the business it doesn't matter WHO is at fault. Either the Sox or WGN could have takin the time to make sure these guys got a copy. We used to do it all the time, it's no big deal to do.

I dubbed off two copies for Billy and Jim last night myself. It took a half hour.

There were no specific TV highlights in the piece it was all newsreel material.

Note to Torn. I'm confused about you saying that Billy is employed by the Sox. I asked him that last year in preperation for the interview with WSI and he said he was not employed by the Sox. Has something changed in the last year that I don't know about?

Note to Nellie: When the Sox get to (they don't even have to win) a World Series I'll be happy to stop ripping management any chance I get. (Just wondering, are you happy with this organization? Especially after last Tuesday?)

Lip

TornLabrum
04-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Dan Rohn did a short voice over for a small segment which leads me to think it was done by WGN. However according to Jim he said it sounded to him like the interviews were done at Sox Fest from a few seasons ago since Smith was still alive.

To me having been in the business it doesn't matter WHO is at fault. Either the Sox or WGN could have takin the time to make sure these guys got a copy. We used to do it all the time, it's no big deal to do.

I dubbed off two copies for Billy and Jim last night myself. It took a half hour.

There were no specific TV highlights in the piece it was all newsreel material.

Note to Torn. I'm confused about you saying that Billy is employed by the Sox. I asked him that last year in preperation for the interview with WSI and he said he was not employed by the Sox. Has something changed in the last year that I don't know about?

Note to Nellie: When the Sox get to (they don't even have to win) a World Series I'll be happy to stop ripping management any chance I get. (Just wondering, are you happy with this organization? Especially after last Tuesday?)

Lip

According to this year's media guide, Billy, Moose, Carlos, Donn, and Minnie (just going from memory because the Guide is in the "library" right now) are part of their Community Relations Dept. They do personal appearances, so I'm sure they pick up a fee. They are obviously not, however, full-time employees. They probably have a deal where they pick up a fee for each appearance.

The point, of course, is that the Sox are taking care of those guys by sending them out for these events and letting them pick up a personal appearance fee.

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2003, 12:46 AM

Lip Just stick to ripping them for things that they are responsible for. There was just no way that they put together that '59 retrospective, but you tried to turn that into further evidence of how evil they are.

What about last Tuesday? Some idiot drunk running onto the field? I was a cop for 25 years. One thing that I learned is that there is never enough security at an event if someone is determined to do something stupid (short of having one security person per spectator.) The best you can do is apprehend them after the fact and make an example out of them. To try to make that evidence of bad management is just ludicrous.