PDA

View Full Version : Where Are The Sox Fans?

Mammoo
04-18-2003, 03:08 PM
I was listening to the Dan Jiggetts show (in the car) when he posed a question to his audience. He asked Chicago baseball fans to list their pleasant surprises thus far in the season.

The first 8-10 caller were all Cub fans raving on about Damian Miller, Paul Bako and Hee Sop Choi (one Cub fan pronounced it Hoy Sop) among others.

"The Cubbies this; The Cubbies that..."

Gadzooks, I wanted to hurl!

Another Cub fan remarked that he had never heard of Choi before! :smile: Typical...

Even Jiggs remarked, "Where are all the Sox fans?" Then he added something like, "What do expect from Sox fans!"

It's not a lack of interest by Sox fans, it's just that so many more Cub fans inhabit our fair city and it's appalling when you hear the lack of acumen on their part.

I reached my destination without ever hearing a Sox fan call in.

BTW: Yesterday’s head to head attendance:

Sox: 10,716
Cubs: 29,672

I’m sure that comes as no surprise.

steff
04-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Working. I don't have a trust fund or a $80K a year job blowing my boss.

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
$80K a year job blowing my boss.

*spit take* Wha-wha-whaaa?!?!?

RedPinStripes
04-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

*****!

steff
04-18-2003, 03:25 PM

Whoops.. did I say that out loud.. :?:

Daver
04-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

BTW: Yesterday’s head to head attendance:

Sox: 10,716
Cubs: 29,672

I’m sure that comes as no surprise.

Ummm,the Cubs will always announce an attendance of aprox.21,000,that is their season ticket base,and they always base their attendance figures on tickets sold,not on the turnstyle.

steff
04-18-2003, 03:29 PM
You'll have to forgive me. I've got that Mr. Personality show on the brain. Monica Lewinsky is hosting.. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
04-18-2003, 03:33 PM

Yowza!

StepsInSC
04-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
Ummm,the Cubs will always announce an attendance of aprox.21,000,that is their season ticket base,and they always base their attendance figures on tickets sold,not on the turnstyle.

I honestly don't know, so do the Sox base their announced attendance on # of people who actually showed up at the gates?

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I honestly don't know, so do the Sox base their announced attendance on # of people who actually showed up at the gates?

Every team in MLB announces attendance based on tickets sold.

Daver's point was that the Cubs have a much larger season-ticket base, and as such will almost always announce a larger crowd.

MetalliSox
04-18-2003, 04:07 PM

Is that all it costs?

ChiSoxKid
04-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I was listening to the Dan Jiggetts show...

Even Jiggs remarked, "Where are all the Sox fans?" Then he added something like, "What do expect from Sox fans!"

Dan Jiggetts is a good guy, but...

Jiggetts's show requires very little sports acumen to listen to. He seldom asks challenging questions of guests and his topics rarely request more than a listener's opinion. Perhaps that is why some misinformed fans -- like the ones you described -- feel comfortable calling in.

And this could also be why fewer Sox fans call; maybe Sox fans recognize that the show is not worth participating in.

"Where are all the Sox fans?" Waiting for an interesting baseball discussion to occur.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Every team in MLB announces attendance based on tickets sold.

Daver's point was that the Cubs have a much larger season-ticket base, and as such will almost always announce a larger crowd.

And of course this is the part where I chime in that 1/2-price discounts to encourage multi-game attendance makes much greater sense than 1/2-price discounts to encourage single-game walk up sales. Those loser Cub fans had to buy tickets in April to also get the choice seats they wanted later in the year.

Thus on a cold April day in Chicago, the Cubs collected the revenue from 29,000, while the Sox got only 10,000.

Those deep-discount single-game walk up promotions do NOTHING to address this problem.

:reinsy
"Get Rob Gallas in my office! STAT!!!"

:gallas
"Hey, on a warm evening when we gave away the product for 1/2 off to a single game, we drew 30,000+. And of those, only four ran on the field, and just one attacked an umpire! Those are some great odds!"

:ohno
"Can this numbskull read a newspaper?"

duke of dorwood
04-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Maybe Sox fans just arent tuned in after 4 hours of blowhard radio leading to Jigget show.

LuvSox
04-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Two points here:

1. I go out of my way to avoid sports radio, nothing but morons with little else to worry about. Why does anyone here listen, everybody bitches about Cubs/Sox ratio. F-'em.

B. There are some funny mother f****rs on this site!!!!!!!!!!

:)