PDA

View Full Version : Seven Starters

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Assuming Wright gets the ok within the next few weeks and Rauch owns AAA then we'll have:

Buehrle
Colon
Loaiza
Garland
Wright
Stewart
Rauch

Seven pitchers for five spots is nice competition for the team, and better than only having four starters like the last couple of years, but how will be able to work all of them into the rotation and keep the best chance to win? I think Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza, Garland, and Wright are the best five of those seven so that means Stewie and Rauch are SOL unless someone falters. Opinions?

anewman35
04-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, yeah. It's a bit like the problem the yankees had, but with a difference: a few of ours are young/developing, and while they might not be happy about it, we'll be able to keep them in Charlotte for a while, until we need them (and hopefully, we won't, at least this season).

Adam

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 02:02 PM
You're probably right; when Wright comes back, Stewart will probably be sent down, unless Garland just stinks up the place between now and then.

Garland and Wright will have Stewart and Rauch pushing them from AAA - hopefully it can propel all four to outstanding seasons.

Also, looking forward to 2004, if Colon isn't brought back, one of those two (Rauch or Stewart) had better be ready to go, along with Garland and Wright.

jortafan
04-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I just find it reassuring that should Loaiza turn out NOT to be a big sensation (just an early-season flash), we aren't totally screwed.

dougs78
04-18-2003, 02:04 PM
I agree, its got to be Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza, Garland and Wright until one of them shows me a reason otherwise. Until Stewart gives a few good outings against teams other than the Tigers and Indians, I'll be more than happy to send him back to AAA. Additionally, Rauch should be in AAA until he clearly demonstrates that he is ready to contribute to our major league staff, whether that be by displacing a member of the rotation or the bullpen.

Also, lets not count our chickens before they hatch. It is a nice problem to potentially have, but at this point we pretty much still have 4 with the other 3 (Stewart, Wright and Rauch) proving they are ready to help the big club on a consistent basis.

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Also, looking forward to 2004, if Colon isn't brought back, one of those two (Rauch or Stewart) had better be ready to go, along with Garland and Wright.

Competition is good for the staff I think. Why wouldn't they keep Colon? He's worth it as a long term acquisition. Buehrle and Colon as our 1-2 for years to come was the plan I thought?

voodoochile
04-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Competition is good for the staff I think. Why wouldn't they keep Colon? He's worth it as a long term acquisition. Buehrle and Colon as our 1-2 for years to come was the plan I thought?

Well, money will play a huge part in whether Colon comes back or not.

The nice thing is that Stewart will make nice trade bait later this summer if he has another decent outing or two. The Sox hold a $4M option on Loaiza for next season, so if he has a good year, he will be back for reasonable money.

Buehrle is already going to cost them an arm and a leg next season when he hits his arbitration eligibility, so whether they can afford to bring back Colon also will be debatable and we all know how much JR LOVES to spend money on pitchers.

Still, it is nice to have options for starters and extra relievers as the year rolls on...

hold2dibber
04-18-2003, 02:20 PM
If Wright continues to pitch pain fre, when he's ready my hope s that the Sox cut Josh Paul, put Wright in the no. 5 slot and put Stewart in the bullpen as long relief (the Sox don't really have a long relief guy out there now, unless you count Glover, but it seems to me that he's much more effective in 1-2 inning stints).

doublem23
04-18-2003, 02:21 PM

:reinsy
Muhahahahahahaha. That's what we wanted you to think.

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If Wright continues to pitch pain fre, when he's ready my hope s that the Sox cut Josh Paul, put Wright in the no. 5 slot and put Stewart in the bullpen as long relief (the Sox don't really have a long relief guy out there now, unless you count Glover, but it seems to me that he's much more effective in 1-2 inning stints).

Not a bad idea. I like having Paul on the bench, but he's not worth the spot as a catcher since Sandy has been hitting well and Olivo looks like he will be ok. He might even pass waivers, some similar catcher to Paul from Toronto did.

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Not a bad idea. I like having Paul on the bench, but he's not worth the spot as a catcher since Sandy has been hitting well and Olivo looks like he will be ok. He might even pass waivers, some similar catcher to Paul from Toronto did.

Are you talking about Huckaby? I was a little surprised he cleared waivers, myself, but keep in mind that Huckaby's 32 and Paul's not quite 28.

Maybe the stigma of being involved in Jeter's injury scared everyone off...

jeremyb1
04-18-2003, 05:29 PM
depending on how well wright pitches in the rotation and how well stewart and rauch pitch in AAA, there's the potential to move someone to the pen at some point. i think wright can be a good starter but i think he'd be completely dominant in the pen.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Two points:

You can never have enough pitching. If the Sox somehow luck into having seven solid starters this year they are in the drivers seat trading wise come July to get what they need.

Two...If Colon has a typical year for him, 18 wins, 200+ innings and ERA of about 3.2 he'll be asking for a five year, fifty million dollar deal. (In my opinion) The Yankees will EASILY pay that.

The odds of the Sox paying that off to sign him are about as long as the odds that Jerry Reinsdorf will sell the club and get out.

This is rent a player much like Bill Veeck in 1977... those Sox had a very good season...maybe these Sox will have a great one. We'll see.

Lip

TheBigHurt
04-19-2003, 11:59 AM
YES its nice to see our minor league pitching is finally helping us!!!!!! :)

BE GOOD