PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Howry shipped to Pawtucket

hose
04-17-2003, 11:36 PM
The Boston Red Sox demoted Bobby Howry to triple A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=bos

MHOUSE
04-17-2003, 11:39 PM
I read that once they got someone back healthy he would be released or sent down. His stats weren't good at all. I think he was pitching like, well.....Bob Howry? Sounds like a good trade to dump him afterall. I remember it wasn't agreed upon here by everyone...

MHOUSE
04-17-2003, 11:41 PM
0-0 12.46 ERA in 4 games
4.1 IP 11H 6ER 1HR 3BB 4K 1BS .478BAA 3.23WHIP

OUCH! :o:

Daver
04-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I read that once they got someone back healthy he would be released or sent down. His stats weren't good at all. I think he was pitching like, well.....Bob Howry? Sounds like a good trade to dump him afterall. I remember it wasn't agreed upon here by everyone...

Hmm,scouting report on Bob Howry

He throws exactly one pitch for a strike,a fastball with little movement,has tried to learn command of a sinker and a slider with little success,his attempt to learn a changeup failed miserably because he could not get out of the habit of tipping it.
Since his arm injury his fastball has dropped back into the hittable range making him a liability on a major league roster. Has never been able to throw a curve with the mechanics he uses to throw the ball.

I'm glad the Red Sox have this and not the White Sox.

kermittheefrog
04-18-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by hose
The Boston Red Sox demoted Bobby Howry to triple A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=bos

Look at the similarities between Howry and Rauch. They had similar sugeries, both appeared to be back to full strength late last year and now they are both in the minors after dissapointing people. I would be surprised to see Jon Rauch make 10 starts for the White Sox this season.

GASHWOUND
04-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Who the heck did we trade Howry for?

hose
04-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Who the heck did we trade Howry for?

LHP- Byeong Hak An
RHP- Frankie Fransico

hose
04-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Look at the similarities between Howry and Rauch. They had similar sugeries, both appeared to be back to full strength late last year and now they are both in the minors after dissapointing people. I would be surprised to see Jon Rauch make 10 starts for the White Sox this season.

In comparing Rauch to Howry my opinion is that Rauch is more of a pitcher and Howry a thrower. Daver points out that Bobby is basically a fastball & slider pitcher with a ineffective breaking ball.
Howry's fastball is what kept him on a MLB roster and now that the arm is acting up and he has lost some mph Howry may be more suited as a batting practice pitcher. Remember last year when the Red Sox said they made a mechanical adjustment to Howry's delivery that resulted in Howry adding mph to the fastball?

I'm hoping that the similarities between Rauch and Howry end with the surgery and Jon can develop into a effective pitcher for the Sox.

TheBigHurt
04-18-2003, 11:01 AM
WOW good to see that Howry is doing well without the White Sox

southpaw40
04-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Hope he gets it together and gets back to the show. He was one of my favorite players when he was closing for us before Foulke.
It's a shame, but I guess every major leaguer has to be aware of the fact that he is just an injury away from oblivion.

voodoochile
04-18-2003, 12:01 PM
In comparing Rauch to Howry my opinion is that Rauch is more of a pitcher and Howry a thrower. Daver points out that Bobby is basically a fastball & slider pitcher with a ineffective breaking ball.
Howry's fastball is what kept him on a MLB roster and now that the arm is acting up and he has lost some mph Howry may be more suited as a batting practice pitcher. Remember last year when the Red Sox said they made a mechanical adjustment to Howry's delivery that resulted in Howry adding mph to the fastball?

I'm hoping that the similarities between Rauch and Howry end with the surgery and Jon can develop into a effective pitcher for the Sox.

Well, since Rauch relies less on speed of pitch, he should be able to adjust more easily, IMO. If his control stays sharp, there is no reason to assume he cannot be effective even at lower speeds.

The question is, how long will it take him to find his groove...

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The question is, how long will it take him to find his groove...

He's looked good so far this year - I believe he starts tonight. Hopefully he can continue to dominate at the AAA level. Last year he started out bad at AAA, finished strong, and looked great in a late-season look-see. I think he can contribute by the All-Star break this season.

Howry always was a one-pitch pitcher. He got away with throwing every pitch straight as a string when his fastball was 96. When it dropped to 89, he was in trouble. I don't think we can say the same about Rauch.

But I do hope that Howry somehow comes back. It's always sad to see a career derailed by injury.

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Ever since his surgery Howry has been sub-par. It was only a matter of time before he got bumped out. I'm glad it was Boston and not us who had to deal with it. At least we got a couple of young 'uns. Anyone have minor league stats on the guys we got?

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Nevermind I got them. At A Winston-Salem

Byeong Hak An 1-1 4.09 ERA 2GS 11.0 IP 14H 7R (5ER) 4BB 8K 1HB

Frankie Francisco 1-0 0.00 ERA 1GS 5.0 IP 1H 2BB 6K

Not bad stats. Keep it up guys and stay healthy!

kermittheefrog
04-18-2003, 01:26 PM

It doesn't matter much that they don't have similar arsenals as pitchers. What I think is important here is that I was pointed to Howry as a guy who came back "healthy". He's clearly not healthy at all. Rauch probably won't come back healthy either.

jeremyb1
04-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It doesn't matter much that they don't have similar arsenals as pitchers. What I think is important here is that I was pointed to Howry as a guy who came back "healthy". He's clearly not healthy at all. Rauch probably won't come back healthy either.

i still don't really agree with the way this conversation always takes place. it seems to always be based entirely on anecdotal evidence and comments by will carrol. i don't have anything against carrol he seems to be knowledgable but i'd like to see a larger picture of the entire situation. i don't understand why there hasn't been any research done on this. i don't see how we can make generalizations about rauch without being able to look at how many pitchers have had slap injuries and how many have had success in the majors after the injury.

the fact that howry isn't coming back is meaningless to me because i don't know of any other pitchers that have had slap injuries.

also, i think its important to remember that we know very little about rauch's performance this spring. for the most part we just know that he was not effective. obviously, its easiest to attribute that to his arm but we have no idea. he certainly appears to be pitching effectively in charlotte now.

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i still don't really agree with the way this conversation always takes place. it seems to always be based entirely on anecdotal evidence and comments by will carrol. i don't have anything against carrol he seems to be knowledgable but i'd like to see a larger picture of the entire situation. i don't understand why there hasn't been any research done on this. i don't see how we can make generalizations about rauch without being able to look at how many pitchers have had slap injuries and how many have had success in the majors after the injury.

Carroll has recently kind of backed away from making any predictions about injuries, saying that the sample size he has for good diagnoses of injury is way too small to make any sort of realistic prediction. He has also pointed out how different teams use the disabled list for different reasons, and Ken Griffey's or Derek Jeter's injury is going to obviously get a lot more scrutiny than an injury to Bob Howry or Ruben Mateo.

In short, Carroll has a lot of work to do, and I think he's beginning to recognize that.

Daver
04-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

In short, Carroll has a lot of work to do, and I think he's beginning to recognize that.

I think he also realizes that there are just to many variables involved when it comes to pitchers,you have to take mechanics,arm slot,and the type of pitches thrown into consideration for any prediction to have any validity,you cannot just base it on similar injuries without the whole thing being a rather broad generalization.

jeremyb1
04-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Carroll has recently kind of backed away from making any predictions about injuries, saying that the sample size he has for good diagnoses of injury is way too small to make any sort of realistic prediction. He has also pointed out how different teams use the disabled list for different reasons, and Ken Griffey's or Derek Jeter's injury is going to obviously get a lot more scrutiny than an injury to Bob Howry or Ruben Mateo.

well that's good.

kermittheefrog
04-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

the fact that howry isn't coming back is meaningless to me because i don't know of any other pitchers that have had slap injuries.

also, i think its important to remember that we know very little about rauch's performance this spring. for the most part we just know that he was not effective. obviously, its easiest to attribute that to his arm but we have no idea. he certainly appears to be pitching effectively in charlotte now.

Here's the problem with research. It does need to be done but there isn't a database of information to look at. Makes research tough. Not that it shouldn't be done but it takes a lot of time because the information is hard to gather.