PDA

View Full Version : Esteban Loaiza!


Rocky Soprano
04-17-2003, 04:05 PM
11 Strikeouts so far!

WOW! :)

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Man, what an awesome game this whole team is having.

We're kicking some Royal Ass!

voodoochile
04-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Man, what an awesome game this whole team is having.

We're kicking some Royal Ass!

They're not in Kansas anymore...

:sahaf
"We'll get you, my ugly and your Twin Doug too..."

34 Inch Stick
04-17-2003, 04:48 PM
What more could you have asked out of him after 3 games. It's early, but 11 strikeouts versus a preety good hitting lineup and an ERA around 1. As Jimmy would say, Thaaat's Gooood!

doublem23
04-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Anyone else notice the Sox have the 2nd lowest team ERA in the American League, second only to Kansas City?

I know its early, but that's a good trend to start.

A.T. Money
04-17-2003, 05:03 PM
What a difference two days make.

Everyone is all excited and saying this is a great way to start. Two days ago, the sky was falling. :gulp:

hold2dibber
04-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Nice win today. Yet another quality start, some timely hitting, and Carlos finally getting into the act. After the Tuesday night debacle, its awfully nice to see the Sox come back and win the series (the Royals' first series loss of the year, by the way). I don't think you can call any April games "critical" but over the last 2 years, it seemed like when the Sox would blow a late inning lead they'd go on a mini-slump and lose another 2 or 3 after that. Great to see them actually bounce back and get 2 against the first place team after the heart-breaker on Tuesday.

dllrbll7
04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Anyone notice Estaban has had a nohitter thru 4innings in each of his starts i believe. One of these days i think he is goin to go the whole way.

Iguana775
04-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Anyone notice Estaban has had a nohitter thru 4innings in each of his starts i believe. One of these days i think he is goin to go the whole way.

yea, i was watching via yahoo. very impressive. 11k's and 2 walks, IIRC.

thecell
04-17-2003, 05:16 PM
It's starting to look like we have our own "Big 3"

:D:

czalgosz
04-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Not to bring anyone down, but last year Esteban Loaiza was 3-1 with a 2.40 ERA after his first four starts - he finished 9-10 with a 5.71 ERA. It's a long season.

That said, I really hope for good things out of Loaiza this season. I've sort of been following his career, and he's been frustrating - he's had flashes of brilliance, and his stuff is great, but somehow he just seems to lose it mentally every year.

Here's hoping that this is the year he pulls it all together... :gulp:

A.T. Money
04-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Not to bring anyone down, but last year Esteban Loaiza was 3-1 with a 2.40 ERA after his first four starts - he finished 9-10 with a 5.71 ERA. It's a long season.

That said, I really hope for good things out of Loaiza this season. I've sort of been following his career, and he's been frustrating - he's had flashes of brilliance, and his stuff is great, but somehow he just seems to lose it mentally every year.

Here's hoping that this is the year he pulls it all together... :gulp:

The difference between those seasons, and this one...is that this year he's 100% healthy. And as stated, he's learned to change speeds this year. That's essential if you want success.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Best played game of the year BY FAR!

Now keep going.

Lip

Boozer
04-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
The difference between those seasons, and this one...is that this year he's 100% healthy. And as stated, he's learned to change speeds this year. That's essential if you want success.

I was gonna say the same thing. It makes a HUGE difference to finally be healthy. I think he's had some type of injury for at least the last 3 years or so.

11 K's in 6 innings...very nice!!!

Fridaythe13thJason
04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They're not in Kansas anymore...

:sahaf
"We'll get you, my ugly and your Twin Doug too..."

I don't think they're ever in Kansas, unless they're passing through on the team bus.

They play in Missouri.

WinningUgly!
04-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
The difference between those seasons, and this one...is that this year he's 100% healthy. And as stated, he's learned to change speeds this year. That's essential if you want success.

Pitching in the same rotation with guys like Buerhle & Colon can't hurt either. Me likey. :D:

voodoochile
04-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I don't think they're ever in Kansas, unless they're passing through on the team bus.

They play in Missouri.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...

:)

WinningUgly!
04-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I don't think they're ever in Kansas, unless they're passing through on the team bus.

They play in Missouri.

Same difference. :D:

TheBigHurt
04-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
IIRC.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Daver
04-17-2003, 11:06 PM
If
I
Recall
Correctly

TheBigHurt
04-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by daver
If
I
Recall
Correctly



THANKS daver :) I always need help with these "Interent Secrets"

MHOUSE
04-18-2003, 12:34 AM
I think being healthy, having less pressure behind Buehrle/Colon, and actually being on a good team have all helped Esteban. I mean when you're a #3-4 type pitcher and you're starting 1 or 2 on a mediocre or poor team (wasn't he with the blue jays?) then you're going to have Todd Ritchie syndrome; especially if you're not 100%. I think that this could be his year to shine being healthy and in the right situation. I know it's a young season but I think mauling the Tigers gave him confidence and then he showed up today against a real team. Keep it up Esteban. It's nice to have 6 starters for once instead of only four!

Iwritecode
04-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Best played game of the year BY FAR!

Now keep going.

Lip

Quick, bookmark this post...

:)

Iwritecode
04-18-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Not to bring anyone down, but last year Esteban Loaiza was 3-1 with a 2.40 ERA after his first four starts - he finished 9-10 with a 5.71 ERA. It's a long season.

That said, I really hope for good things out of Loaiza this season. I've sort of been following his career, and he's been frustrating - he's had flashes of brilliance, and his stuff is great, but somehow he just seems to lose it mentally every year.

Here's hoping that this is the year he pulls it all together... :gulp:

Could it be that Loaiza 2003 = Cal Eldred 2000???

TimChamp
04-18-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Could it be that Loaiza 2003 = Cal Eldred 2000???


That could be true, but I think he will last the whole year (unlike Cal) for two reasons:
1.) Loaiza does not have a bionic arm like Cal...simply put, Loaiza is HEALTHY
2.) Loaiza is throwing more off-speed stuff than he has ever thrown in his career.


By the way, how is Cal doing with whatever team he is with...anybody know? :?:


Champ out...

czalgosz
04-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by TimChamp
By the way, how is Cal doing with whatever team he is with...anybody know? :?:

He's with St. Louis, where they're using him in relief. He got bombed his first time out, but he's been pretty solid since then...

Cal Eldred 2003 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4796)

gosox41
04-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Anyone else notice the Sox have the 2nd lowest team ERA in the American League, second only to Kansas City?

I know its early, but that's a good trend to start.

It's a nice trend, but meaningless considering the Sox have played 15 games against the Royals, Indians, and Tigers. The Indians are hitting .244 as a team. At last check the Tigers were less.

Statisictally, Loiaza is a great pitcher for the month of April, but then his numbers sink. I hope he continues his 2003 trend, but I don't see it happening.

Bob