View Full Version : Sox Fans' Petition! Please Read

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, please take a look at the following thread when you get a chance:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18957

Thanks!

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2003, 02:19 PM
"Sox Fan's Petition" means only one fan can sign it? Or did you mean "Sox Fans' Petition"?

:)

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
"Sox Fan's Petition" means only one fan can sign it? Or did you mean "Sox Fans' Petition"?

I changed it. Thanks!

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2003, 02:38 PM
For those of you who are too lazy to click on the link :D:

Here is what I came up with, please let me know what you guys think before I put it up:

This is what I came up with. Let me know what you guys think:

On April 15, 2003; Chicago White Sox fans and the people of the City of Chicago were once again embarrassed by the actions of a select few.

During a Kansas City Royals-Chicago White Sox game at U.S. Cellular Field, the game was interrupted by four separate on-field incidents in which “fans” decided to jump onto the field of play. The last involving a man who jumped from the first-base side and attacked umpire, Laz Diaz, near the right-field line in the final out of the eight inning.

This incident is reminiscent of that which occurred on last September 19. Kansas City Royals first base coach, Tom Gamboa was jumped by a 35-year-old man and his 15-year-old son from behind, also when they decided to jump onto the field of play. Tom Gamboa was cut and punched in the head; he has since then suffered minor hearing loss.

These incidents have caused the questioning of security at U.S. Cellular Field. The Chicago White Sox released the following statement on April 16, 2003 which can be found on the Official Home Page of The Chicago White Sox, www.whitesox.com:

"The safety and security of our fans and on-field personnel is our primary concern. Thankfully, that safety was not jeopardized during last evening's game. As we have said publicly, the behavior of four people attending last night's game was reprehensible and will not be tolerated. We are announcing the following expanded security measures, beginning tonight:
• Additional security personnel will be placed on the field of play;
• The White Sox have already discussed with public officials, and will be advocating, stiffer sentences and jail terms for anyone who trespasses on the field of play, punishing offenders to the fullest extent the law allows;
• Guest service representatives will increase the number of times they check ticket stubs throughout the game to ensure that fans are sitting in their appropriate locations;
• Additional public address announcements reminding fans of penalties for entering the field of play will be broadcast inside the ballpark;
• The White Sox will discuss with Major League Baseball, broadcast partners and local news outlets our joint concern that publicity given these individuals when they break the law can encourage additional exhibitionism or attacks.
"We all are angered and saddened that the actions of a few put on-field personnel at risk and reflect poorly on the thousands of true fans of Chicago sports, the White Sox and baseball. We remain convinced that White Sox Baseball at U.S. Cellular Field is an exciting, safe and fun entertainment option for fans of all ages."

We applaud the entire Chicago White Sox organization for expanding their security measures to make sure that we, Sox Fans, continue to enjoy White Sox baseball.

We, the undersigned true fans of The Chicago White Sox would like to petition to the City of Chicago, and the State of Illinois to please come down with stiffer penalties when people decided to interrupt a game by jumping onto the field of play, especially when they decide it’s appropriate to attack a player, coach, or umpire.

A simple fine and an overnight stay is just not enough. If only a slap on the hand is given, we unfortunately will continue to see the same actions. It’s time for the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois to put their foot down and set and example of these people. If drastic penalties are not set, who knows what will happen next. Please, let’s show everyone that The Chicago White Sox, The City of Chicago, and the Sate of Illinois does not condone or tolerate this kind of behavior. Please, do not let the people of Chicago be embarrassed again!

hold2dibber
04-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Great idea. How do we sign?