PDA

View Full Version : Rant - Media's Anti-Sox Smear Campaign

Viva Magglio
04-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Talk by the national media that we should lose the All Star Game is extremely infuriating to me. I am sick and tired of this crap. The four drillrods' sprees onto the field gave this media, ominpotent in its own mind, the excuse it needed to wage a shock-and-awe attack upon our franchise.

This smear campaign is hypocritical. This smear campaign is bigoted. This smear campaign is bull****. :angry:

MarqSox
04-17-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Talk by the national media that we should lose the All Star Game is extremely infuriating to me. I am sick and tired of this crap. The four drillrods' sprees onto the field gave this media, ominpotent in its own mind, the excuse it needed to wage a shock-and-awe attack upon our franchise.

This smear campaign is hypocritical. This smear campaign is bigoted. This smear campaign is bull****. :angry:

Now YOU sound like the Iraqi information minister.

Look, the fact is, this is the second time in less than 10 home games that this stuff has gotten ugly. NO, it doesn't represent Sox fans as a whole, but the fact is that it happened, and this makes the Sox look extremely bad.

It has nothing to do with the media. I was embarrassed about it well before I actually saw any news reports on it, which means that the incident was inherently awful.

It's not even worth discussing how the media would handle this different if it happened at Wrigley, or at another stadium. It's irrelevant. It happened at Comiskey, and now we have to deal with it.

Viva Magglio
04-17-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Now YOU sound like the Iraqi information minister.

Look, the fact is, this is the second time in less than 10 home games that this stuff has gotten ugly. NO, it doesn't represent Sox fans as a whole, but the fact is that it happened, and this makes the Sox look extremely bad.

It has nothing to do with the media. I was embarrassed about it well before I actually saw any news reports on it, which means that the incident was inherently awful.

It's not even worth discussing how the media would handle this different if it happened at Wrigley, or at another stadium. It's irrelevant. It happened at Comiskey, and now we have to deal with it.

Why should you be embarrassed? As Dan McNeil said yesterday on ESPN Radio 1000, this is not a reflection on the White Sox organization. It was the act of four drillrods; no more, no less. They do not reflect rank-and-file Sox fans by any stretch. The media, local and national, is exploiting what happened Tuesday night to tear us a new one.

Look, the only way to keep fans from running on the field at a 100% success rate would be to ban spectators from the ballpark. What do you want us to do, call out the National Guard every time we play a home game?

Think of the ramifications of this. As if we don't have enough attendance problems already, this media war against us will only cost us even more fans who are gullible enough to fall for their nonsense. Last night, we only had 9882 fans in tickets sold. I realize it was a chilly night, but that is absolutely pathetic.

Stand up for your team.

MarqSox
04-17-2003, 11:41 AM

Stand up for your team.

I am standing up for my team, and I'm standing up for my fellow Sox Fans ... I think you misread my post. All I'm saying is, we look bad to the rest of the country, and it's not the media's fault. Even if the media had not gone on the offensive, if all had remained entirely neutral, we STILL would have looked bad. I agree, we shouldn't look bad, but we do. That's just the way it is.

T Dog
04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
It may have been the late Frank Zappa who described pseudo-journalism as people who can't write quoting people who can't talk for people who can't read. I hold what people call sports journalism at an even lower standard.

MarqSox
04-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
It may have been the late Frank Zappa who described pseudo-journalism as people who can't write quoting people who can't talk for people who can't read. I hold what people call sports journalism at an even lower standard.

So then I trust you don't read the sports section, listen to sports radio or watch SportsCenter. If you do, you're a hypocrite who complains about the media yet perpetuates what you hate by supporting it financially. Either that, or you are the "literate exception" to your generalization.

ChiSoxBobette
04-17-2003, 04:55 PM

Its probably only Flub fans who are rampant throughout the media that are crying for the All-Star game to be taken away from us(Besides what happens to all of us season ticket holders who have already paid for our All-Star tickets?)Moronotti is one of these goofs and there is a slew of other boneheads who are asking the same thing. They can all go and take a giant leap off of Mount Gigley!what happened at Sox park the other night is not typical of what happens at our field all though the way its being reported is that this kind of stuff happens every game at Sox park.The media throughout the country is a bunch of flub loving jerks who probably have never even entered our ballpark let alone know what a real Sox fan is! But I'm sure for the All-Star game everyone of the media mooches will be at Sox Park for free getting there share of freebies. On espn radio this morning they're questioning Manuel about it hes the manager of the team not the head of security. Ask the guy about the team not about security, but then of course this is the only time our team ever attracts any media attention becuse we're not the flubs. :angry: :angry:

GO WHITE SOX

Dan H
04-17-2003, 05:07 PM
There has been a great deal of overraction to the incident which is natural for the first day or two. If the Sox are smart, they will ignore the media and come out with an intelligent response. Like don't schedule Sox night games on the same day of Cub games if at all possible. Secondly, the Sox organization should tone down the rhetoric. Fans running on the field is nothing new, and it will happen again and not only in Chicago. The Sox just need to do what they can do to keep this at a minimum.

Meanwhile, before other fans get so high and mighty, how many have thrown things on the field, taunted both opposition and Sox players, have picked fights with other fans or just in general acted like real jerks when they go to the games? Then there are fans who can't resist interfering with play to get the ball or otherwise hassle the players on the field.

As far as the media goes, objectivity is not an overused commodity. The Sun-Times has become a real rag. There just isn't a great deal of real reporting there.

MarqSox
04-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
As far as the media goes, objectivity is not an overused commodity. The Sun-Times has become a real rag. There just isn't a great deal of real reporting there.

The Sun-Times has always been a rag ... but speaking from someone who lives in a city with just one daily paper, you should appreciate the second voice. Add the Daily Herald, the Daily Southtown, the Northwest Herald and the handful of other daily papers down there, and there are a whole lot of independent voices.

T Dog
04-17-2003, 10:04 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by MarqSox
So then I trust you don't read the sports section, listen to sports radio or watch SportsCenter. If you do, you're a hypocrite who complains about the media yet perpetuates what you hate by supporting it financially. Either that, or you are the "literate exception" to your generalization. [/QUOTE]

Thank you for your concern.

I don't read newspaper sports sections unless I have to, and then I am usually looking at stats in agate. I've pretty much given up on newspapers altogether. I haven't seen the Sun Times or Tribune sports pages in many years. The world is annoying enough without subjecting myself to sports radio or Sportscenter. I do go to ESPN's Web site to check on results and the progress of games. I find things on the Internet, and always consider the source.

It's really a liberating lifestyle.