PDA

View Full Version : I am pleased we won, but...


Viva Magglio
04-16-2003, 11:48 PM
...I did not like how things went on the way to the victory. I was among the 9,882 announced in attendance tonight. What I did like was Garland's pitching performance and Gordon's as well. If Garland can only pitch this way in a consistent manner, I would have more confidence in him. I thought that Gordon had a good night, and I was really wondering what Manuel was doing when he brought him in. Surprisingly, it paid off big time.

What disturbed me was how Jiminez getting caught off of third on the fielder's choice Thomas hit. Talk about a brain cramp. I was really mad at Jiminez when he missed that grounder in the eighth inning after Berroa's game-tying home run. I do realize Garland threw 94 pitches, but I don't know why Manuel trotted out Marte to start the eighth inning. I would have let Garland start the eighth and only replaced him if he got into trouble.

Jerry Manuel still does not impress me, and I hope that does not hurt us down the road. But I am pleased about tonight's victory.

baggio202
04-17-2003, 12:09 AM
i would have liked to seen garland go one more but the first pitcher off the bench should have been marte..so he made the right move there...marte just didnt come through..what he did do that i liked was get marte out when he didnt have it before the game got out of hand..he needs to take the same approach with koch....somebody has to be left in the pen when koch pitches and if he comes in and gives up the lead get him out before the game gets out of hand so we can come back in the bottom of the 9th or in extra innings...dont leave him in there to the point where we are down by 4 or 5 runs..at that point you might as well let him finish even if he gives up 50 runs :D:

if the bullpen doesnt come around perhaps closer by committee.. we do have 3 pitchers with experience in closing on the pen ..jerry could set it up so if righties are batting in the 8th and lefties in the 9th we go with gordon / koch and then marte..and visa versa...try and get match ups that favor our pitchers....use gordon on fastball hitters and koch on the weaker guys

just a crazy thought

hose
04-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...I did not like how things went on the way to the victory. I was among the 9,882 announced in attendance tonight. What I did like was Garland's pitching performance and Gordon's as well. If Garland can only pitch this way in a consistent manner, I would have more confidence in him. I thought that Gordon had a good night, and I was really wondering what Manuel was doing when he brought him in. Surprisingly, it paid off big time.

What disturbed me was how Jiminez getting caught off of third on the fielder's choice Thomas hit. Talk about a brain cramp. I was really mad at Jiminez when he missed that grounder in the eighth inning after Berroa's game-tying home run. I do realize Garland threw 94 pitches, but I don't know why Manuel trotted out Marte to start the eighth inning. I would have let Garland start the eighth and only replaced him if he got into trouble.

Jerry Manuel still does not impress me, and I hope that does not hurt us down the road. But I am pleased about tonight's victory.


How about Pena's defense adjustments in the ninth? Thank you Tony !!

fuzzy_patters
04-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by hose
How about Pena's defense adjustments in the ninth? Thank you Tony !!

What was wrong with his defensive adjustment? A flyball and the games over, so there is no need for extra outfielders. The Twins needed a double play, so he brought in a fifth infielder increasing the likelihood of it. If their pitcher had kept the ball on the ground, the game might still be going on. BTW, IIRC the Sox did the same thing in KC a couple years ago and it paid off leading to a Sox victory. In tonight's case, sometimes you make the right decision, but it doesn't always pay off.

valposoxfan
04-17-2003, 03:10 AM
Very good call on the five infielders back in 2000 Fuzzy. I remember it went Durham to Konerko. It was in the Bottom of the ninth. And then Herbert Perry hit a three run homer in the Top of the 11th to ultimately win it. Ahhhh the good ole days... :smile:

hsnterprize
04-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Wow. Doesn't it feel good to talk about action on the field involving the players playing the game instead of some schmuck running on the field and causing trouble? Not to mention, talking about a Sox WIN!!!!!

gosox41
04-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...I did not like how things went on the way to the victory. I was among the 9,882 announced in attendance tonight. What I did like was Garland's pitching performance and Gordon's as well. If Garland can only pitch this way in a consistent manner, I would have more confidence in him. I thought that Gordon had a good night, and I was really wondering what Manuel was doing when he brought him in. Surprisingly, it paid off big time.

What disturbed me was how Jiminez getting caught off of third on the fielder's choice Thomas hit. Talk about a brain cramp. I was really mad at Jiminez when he missed that grounder in the eighth inning after Berroa's game-tying home run. I do realize Garland threw 94 pitches, but I don't know why Manuel trotted out Marte to start the eighth inning. I would have let Garland start the eighth and only replaced him if he got into trouble.

Jerry Manuel still does not impress me, and I hope that does not hurt us down the road. But I am pleased about tonight's victory.

It was nice to win, but it wasn't a good win. The Sox need to take advantage of opportunities when they have men in scoring position. The bullpen still sucks. They basically won on a lazy pop fly to right field. I honestly thought KC was going to get out of that 9th inning jam.

Bob

wassagstdu
04-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
It was nice to win, but it wasn't a good win. The Sox need to take advantage of opportunities when they have men in scoring position. The bullpen still sucks. They basically won on a lazy pop fly to right field. I honestly thought KC was going to get out of that 9th inning jam.

The Sox won on a great bunt and good baserunning. I think it was a great win.

A.T. Money
04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
There is no such thing as a "bad" win in ANY sport.

No one looks at the standings and says "There are a lot of wins, but half are bad ones!"

LOL.

jlh221fan
04-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Last May, Jon pitched great back-to-back games at Fenway and at home vs. the Yankees. In the 1st game, he was sailing along until the 9th with a 2-0 lead and yielded 2 hits to start the 9th and Keith bailed him out. In the next game, he was sailing along until the 8th with a 2-0 lead and faced 3 in 8th without retiring anyone. Sox lost game.

Don't you think Manuel was remembering those 2 games when he pulled him? If it was Buehrle or Colon pitching, I'm sure they would have stayed in. Garland has not yet proven that he can close out a tight game. There was no reason to think that Marte would fail so badly.

Soxboyrob
04-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by jlh221fan

Don't you think Manuel was remembering those 2 games when he pulled him? If it was Buehrle or Colon pitching, I'm sure they would have stayed in. Garland has not yet proven that he can close out a tight game. There was no reason to think that Marte would fail so badly.

So are you saying that Garland ought to never be allowed to finish a game or that he needs to have a 5+ run lead to be allowed to stay in there? How do you toughen up the guy and teach him to go the distance if you baby him like that?