PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal netting would solve this

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Extend horizontal netting about 4/5 feet from the edge of the wall for both the 1st & 3rd base sides & there's little chance a nut case could make it on the field before security gets there first.

He could try & jump it, but he's more likely to break an ankle then to make it over.

It shouldn't cost that much, it doesn't effect the views at all, and it makes the field much safer.

You could even provide it for the BP access & in the smaller portions of the OF.

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by espnjohn1
Extend horizontal netting about 4/5 feet from the edge of the wall for both the 1st & 3rd base sides & there's little chance a nut case could make it on the field before security gets there first.

He could try & jump it, but he's more likely to break an ankle then to make it over.

It shouldn't cost that much, it doesn't effect the views at all, and it makes the field much safer.

You could even provide it for the BP access & in the smaller portions of the OF.

Vertical fencing would be better and it wouldn't interfere with plays in foul territory. There would be a lot of dead plays whenever a fair ball rolled under your nets and stayed there...

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Vertical fencing affects the views. I just don't see that has an option. As for balls falling under the nets, it's in foul territory.

And you can raise them on incline so it won't affect views but still let a player get to a ball underneath.

Jjav829
04-16-2003, 06:13 PM
I would hope that baseball never comes to the point where the playing field has to be seperated from the fans by a fence like they do in Japan. Unfortunately, if these attacks continue, they may start thinking about that.

Daver
04-16-2003, 06:17 PM
I think the Sox should let me bring my bow to the ballpark and sit on top the dugout,we'll see how fast someone runs with an arrow in his ass.

:)

Jjav829
04-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think the Sox should let me bring my bow to the ballpark and sit on top the dugout,we'll see how fast someone runs with an arrow in his ass.

:)

Damnit, I was gonna suggest that too but didn't know which thread to use! A few rednecks with good aim stationed near the dugouts and these attacks can be stopped! :smile:

Tavarin
04-16-2003, 06:19 PM
LoL daver. It was kind of like KW talking about how the security cant look both ways at the same time, to do that they would need snipers or something

LuvSox
04-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Finally, some common sense. Turn a pack of German Shepards loose on the idiots, future idiots will learn a lesson.

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Vertical fencing affects the views. I just don't see that has an option. As for balls falling under the nets, it's in foul territory.

And you can raise them on incline so it won't affect views but still let a player get to a ball underneath.

Okay then they could use plexiglass like at hockey games, but the netting idea won't work. You would need posts in foul territory to support it which would make the fielders jobs much harder when making plays over there. You would also be cutting off access on foul pops. In addition often a ball goes by first or third fair and quickly ends up foul (Crede's first inning double last night, for example). Bad throws often end up over in those areas also. If the ball goes to the base of the wall - which the base of the netting would be attached to, the fielder getting the ball would have to crouch over, to get the ball and then duckwalk out to get to a point where he could standup and throw the ball. It just isn't a practical solution...

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 06:33 PM
These are nets like in Arena Football with big meshes. They are extended horizontally from the wall but with a 30 degree incline. If the ball falls under it can still be retrieved pretty easy. Yes it does reduce some of the foul territory but that would be a burden shared by both teams.

Eddie Gaedel
04-16-2003, 06:45 PM
how about an electrified fence. also, if someone does make it over they could 'release the hounds'.

Foulke You
04-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Netting or fencing in is a terrible idea. I hate it in the NHL and I'd hate it in MLB as it most definitely effects the view of the fan. It is an example of a knee jerk reaction to freak incidents that don't happen 99.5% of the time. It is just a shame that some drunken reject decided to copy what another drugged up/drunk reject did last season to get on TV. Now we have to talk about being embarassed as Sox fans, putting up netting, etc. instead of talking baseball like Lee and Konerko's slump, Sox killing Randa/Sweeney tag team, or Manuel's coaching strategy.

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
These are nets like in Arena Football with big meshes. They are extended horizontally from the wall but with a 30 degree incline. If the ball falls under it can still be retrieved pretty easy. Yes it does reduce some of the foul territory but that would be a burden shared by both teams.

Yes, but in Arena ball, it isn't a live ball when that happens, so speed of recovery isn't an issue. The top of the wall on the third base line at Soxpark is only 3 feet tall. Some parks don't even have 4-5 feet of foul ground close to the stands. Wrigley would have to move the bullpens. Just not a practical solution...

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 06:58 PM
not affect the view of the fan. There is no way it can do that. It's still too low for even the 1st row fans to be effected.

It will effect foul territory. That's it.

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Because it could be designed to where it doesn't impact foul territory so much either.

1) the mesh is big enough to where the ball would just fall right through.

2) to hang the net you just need flexible roll bars that extend out horizontally at the same incline as the net. There's enough give on the nets so that if a player wanted to make a play He could just lean into the net & that portion would just collapse down so he could make a play.

It's very flexible and collapses easily down making it even more harder for a fan to get across because he can't get any footing.

3) You could adjust the incline so that if you wanted it to lie strictly vertical that would be an opton.

4) figure about 1 horizontal post for every 30 ft.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Netting is for wussies. If you want to "fix" this problem, get some balls and do the job right.

1. Plant an armed Daver on top of the dugout. A bow and arrow is fine, but a semi-automatic works better.

2. Dig a moat, put up a 10 foot fence, and invite Liverpool and Everton for their Merseyside derby.

3. Electrify the fence. Turn the juice WAY UP starting in the seventh inning.

4. Machine gun nests behind first, second and third base. Good infilading range of fire.

5. Chlorine gas. Issue gas masks to everyone who paid full price.

6. Zyclon B in the Veeckian showerhead.

7. A-10 Warthogs on 24/7 patrol from Midway. (Meigs no longer available).

8. "Shock and Awe"

9. 7th Cavalry (embedded Walter Rodgers optional).

10. MORE SECURITY--LESS RIFF RAFF.

LuvSox
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
7th Cav. will do just fine.........

Daver
04-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Netting is for wussies. If you want to "fix" this problem, get some balls and do the job right.

1. Plant an armed Daver on top of the dugout. A bow and arrow is fine, but a semi-automatic works better.

I wasn't going to go to extremes,but hell don't stop at semi auto,my Thompson M1927 holds three hundred rounds of .45 cal ammo and can be emptied in less than a minute.........

:redneck

thecell
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
I wasn't going to go to extremes,but hell don't stop at semi auto,my Thompson M1927 holds three hundred rounds of .45 cal ammo and can be emptied in less than a minute.........

:redneck

I hope I'm on daver's good side. daver, is there anything I can do for you sir?

Daver
04-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by thecell
I hope I'm on daver's good side. daver, is there anything I can do for you sir?

LMAO!