PDA

View Full Version : Thomas' HBP

Eddie Gaedel
04-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Why was Frank so pissed when he got hit by Asencio? Frank hangs over the plate, pitchers know to pitch to him inside, and he wears the armor. I was at the game so I didn't hear any TV/Radio commentary. Do Frank and Asencio have a history? This is the first time I can remember Frank walking out to the mound after getting beaned. Any thoughts?

Daver
04-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
Why was Frank so pissed when he got hit by Asencio?

Because it was intentional.

thecell
04-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

It was a first pitch fastball right at him. I'd be pissed too. I'm glad he hit that homer in the 8th to give us the lead.

Iwritecode
04-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Do Frank and Asencio have a history?

Yea, he got hit by the same guy two weeks ago in KC.

In one of the stories I read today (either Cubune or ST) they mentioned that you could see Thomas mouth the words "That's twice".

I don't blame him for being upset...

MetalliSox
04-16-2003, 03:04 PM
The season is two weeks old and Frank has been hit 4 or 5 times. Twice from Asencio.

Frank's intimidation clearly got to Miguel as he couldn't throw a strike for the rest of that inning. Good for Frank to show emotion.

One thing, not a big deal, that kind of got to me was the next inning. I told myself if Buehrle gets the first two guys out, next guy, who was Mayne, should get a ball in the back. First two guys got out and then nothing to Mayne. Thought it would of been a nice showing of support to Frank and show some team unity if Buehrle stood up for Frank.

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
The season is two weeks old and Frank has been hit 4 or 5 times. Twice from Asencio.

Frank's intimidation clearly got to Miguel as he couldn't throw a strike for the rest of that inning. Good for Frank to show emotion.

One thing, not a big deal, that kind of got to me was the next inning. I told myself if Buehrle gets the first two guys out, next guy, who was Mayne, should get a ball in the back. First two guys got out and then nothing to Mayne. Thought it would of been a nice showing of support to Frank and show some team unity if Buehrle stood up for Frank.

I agree. Hopefully someone tells JG to buzz Sweeney tonight. Too bad the intensity that seemed to be generated by Frank getting hit didn't carry over to a win...

AngelLeroy
04-16-2003, 03:08 PM

I don't know if it was intentionally a beanball, because usually those end up in the middle or back of a player's body. It'd also be stupid to bean someone with a runner on first and less than two outs, especially with the lack of control Ascencio has shown. I think it was a lack of respect, and that's why Frank was so po'ed. Ascencio got careless.

TheBigHurt
04-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by thecell
It was a first pitch fastball right at him. I'd be pissed too. I'm glad he hit that homer in the 8th to give us the lead.

YEAH and once Mr. Hurt hit the homer dam was i WhoooooooooooooHooooooooing :)

ONLY to get let down by Morons (not White Sox fans) and Koch but i know Koch will be fine he needs to if we want to be a solid team this season

BE GOOD

Daver
04-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
I don't know if it was intentionally a beanball, because usually those end up in the middle or back of a player's body. It'd also be stupid to bean someone with a runner on first and less than two outs, especially with the lack of control Ascencio has shown. I think it was a lack of respect, and that's why Frank was so po'ed. Ascencio got careless.

The catcher signaled for a beanball,it was intentional.

Eddie Gaedel
04-16-2003, 04:52 PM
The catcher signaled for a beanball,it was intentional.

how do you know this? what was the signal?

Daver
04-16-2003, 05:04 PM
how do you know this? what was the signal?

I played the catcher position for a long time,and when a catcher shows a clenched fist and uses his thumb to point to the batter in any order in the signal calling sequence it is a sign for a beanball.

bc2k
04-16-2003, 05:10 PM
I played the catcher position for a long time,and when a catcher shows a clenched fist and uses his thumb to point to the batter in any order in the signal calling sequence it is a sign for a beanball.

And did you see Brent Mayne use that call? I only ask because you were pretty busy making sounds in the chatroom all night.

Daver
04-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
And did you see Brent Mayne use that call? I only ask because you were pretty busy making sounds in the chatroom all night.

I also said it was intentional in the chat.

bc2k
04-16-2003, 05:22 PM
I also said it was intentional in the chat.

Did you see Brent Mayne call for the bean pitch?

Daver
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Did you see Brent Mayne call for the bean pitch?

I thought I answered that already.

bc2k
04-16-2003, 05:30 PM
I thought I answered that already.

I see where you said it was intentional, and I see where you explain one of the calls for a bean pitch, but I don't see where you say you saw Brent Mayne call for the bean pitch.