PDA

View Full Version : Marlins to cut salary?

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2001, 02:34 PM
(I only bring this up because some people would like to see us get CJ back.)

Without new stadium, Marlins facing possible fire sale
August 17, 2001
MIAMI (AP) -- With plans for a new stadium stalled, Florida Marlins owner John Henry is considering trimming the team's payroll after this season.

It could mean wholesale changes again for the Marlins, who traded a slew of stars after winning the 1997 World Series.

Henry said he will lose as much as $20 million this year.

``We're projected to have a $50 million payroll next season,'' Henry said. ``That makes an impossible situation absurd. I'm not willing to lose $25 million a year and not have a ballpark.

``How long can you keep losing millions?''

Henry's most recent attempt to land a $385 million, retractable-roof ballpark in downtown Miami hit a snag when the city commission chose to delay a vote on the stadium's financing plan until March.

The earliest a new stadium could open would be 2006, Henry said.

``If things don't change quickly, (trades) may be inevitable,'' Henry said. ``At some point, some hard decisions have to be made.''

Spiff
08-17-2001, 02:52 PM
If anything I'd want Luis Castillo or Mike Lowell. Maybe Eric Owens as a fourth outfielder, that guy has Rowand-like heart.

Chisox353014
08-17-2001, 03:12 PM
Here's a better idea: get rid of this franchise altogether! They don't have any fans, Miami is one of the worst sports towns in the country, and under baseball's current financial structure they will always have these kinds of problems. Get rid of this team and the utterly useless Tampa franchise and baseball will immediately be a better game because the talent pool will be spread less thin. It's not like either of these teams have much of a history outside of the WS the Marlins bought a few years ago.

Iguana775
08-17-2001, 03:42 PM
think they will take paul for CJ?? lol

HootieMcBoob
08-17-2001, 04:25 PM
CJ became one of my favorites when he was high fiving everyone in the metrodome (after they clinched). I got my picture in the sun-times or trib - i forget - with CJ high fiving ME!! 3x5 color photo...no joke. it was so awesome. I asked him who's hair was bigger - his or JB's...he said JB by a tad.... (i asked him that before the game)

Critque
08-17-2001, 04:50 PM
I know we have alot, but you can never have enough. tTey have some of the best young pitching in the game. Only if we can grab a couple of those guys. Castillo would look nice in a Sox uni too. We would finally have a legit lead off base stealer.

Paulwny
08-17-2001, 05:52 PM
Let's not forget who controls the purse strings. To JR it's not how you play the game, it"s your contract.