PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who tries to make the fan incidents a "Cubs vs. Sox" issue is a moron

Viva Magglio
04-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Already, there is the "Gee, this stuff doesn't happen at Wrigley Field" nonsense beginning to fester. I think that anyone who uses this incident to attack our organization and base that attack on the not-so-true belief of similar incidents not happening at Wrigley Field is a complete drillrod.

Over the years, a fan at Wrigley ran onto the field and attacked Randy Myers. And there have been several games over the years in which fans in the bleachers have thrown debris onto the field whenever a controversial call goes against the Cubs. And then there was the incident with the Dodgers bullpen that we all remember.

So let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

hsnterprize
04-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Hey look...

As much as we like to place ourselves above Cub fans as far as passion and knowledge of the game and our team, there's really no reason to compare our fan situation to Wrigley's. It really doesn't matter where this situation happened... THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTIBLE!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHERE THIS HAPPENS, PEOPLE ACTING LIKE IDIOTS AND RUNNING ON THE FIELD TO ATTACK SOMEONE DESERVE WHATEVER BEATING THEY GET, PLUS WHATEVER JAIL TIME THEY GET!!!!!

I don't apologize for that statement. I'm thorougly disgusted at what happened last night. As bad as the final score was, this really gives us Sox fans a "black eye"...as if we needed another one these incidents to explain away.

Dan H
04-16-2003, 09:43 AM
This is not a Cub or Sox fan issue. Nor is it any reflection on the Sox organization. This is a fan problem only. No one, in any stadium, has a right to go on the field, no matter if that person is harmless or not. We, as fans, should be condemning this in the stongest terms. If we want respect from the players and the baseball establishment, we cannot condone this in any fashion or try to say it wasn't a Sox fan as a form of denial.

We fans like to have access to players, whether it is in the form autographs or public appearances. Why should players extend themselves in any way when they see nonsense like this? I have been going to baseball games for over 40 years, and I always have treated fellow fans and all players with respect. I expect no less from anyone who happens to be sitting next to me.

The game itself was bad enough. But the loss doesn't bother me nearly as the embarrassment of this inexcusable behavior. I love baseball and I don't want my experience ruined by people who obviously don't care about the game. We all will pay for this one way or another. Does any person out there want every employee of the Sox to look at us as being one beer away from a felony?

balz1472
04-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Dan, I think you have hit it right on the head with your comments. I too agree, that it is bull... that we have to watch this happen at OUR stadium again. The thing that fans have to remember is that it is OUR stadium! We have to treat it and everyone/thing there with respect!

Hopefully it'll be different today.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Dan:

A very good post, I disagree with some of it but it's still very well written.

Just wondering if this has a factor.

Combined the Cubs and Sox have been bringing us over 180 years of non championship baseball. Does this have any play in the escalating fan incidents on both sides of town over the past eight years?

(i.e. the mentality that the team's "suck" so let's just have a good time getting drunk.)

Lip

KruseControl04
04-16-2003, 11:54 AM
As Rooney put it, "No, he's not a fan. He's an idiot."
And nothing could be more true, anyone who runs out on to the field whether just trying to be funny or trying to attack a player or ump or whatever is not a fan. Fans are people who understand the game and enjoy sitting down to watch it. Whatever you want to call those morons from last night, they certainly are not fans.