PDA

View Full Version : Billy KOCH

MHOUSE
04-15-2003, 11:37 PM
I thought I would start a thread for all of the Koch comments.

He figured in something like 15 games last year (11-4 I believe). Doesn't that seem like a lot for a closer? Now that he's 1-1 in 13 games, I can see that maybe there was something else besides 44 saves that factors into his pitching.

kermittheefrog
04-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Could it be that Koch isn't better than Foulke? Maybe just like the numbers say? Who could have predicted this one folks? No pun intended.

SoxxoS
04-16-2003, 01:39 AM
Remember that stat I brought up-Out of all Koch's earned runs last year all but 4 came from the Blue Jays and Rangers. What happened to that?

Please see the signature below.

pudge
04-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Haha, five bad games? Better up that number, he's averaging one a week so far!

I was very concerned about getting Koch - he is a blown saves king... he won a lot of games last year beause he'd blow the save and then the A's would come back and win... I am in no way saying Foulke would be better - I've seen him on the satellite this season and he doesn't look that hot (regardless of what his numbers are). The irony of all ironies is that Rocky Biddle would be a great closer to have right now!!

SoxxoS
04-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Ironic, sad, and true all at the same time...

baggio202
04-16-2003, 02:20 AM
want to know what billy's nickname was in toronto???

billy botch :D:

GASHWOUND
04-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Haha, five bad games? Better up that number, he's averaging one a week so far!

I was very concerned about getting Koch - he is a blown saves king... he won a lot of games last year beause he'd blow the save and then the A's would come back and win... I am in no way saying Foulke would be better - I've seen him on the satellite this season and he doesn't look that hot (regardless of what his numbers are). The irony of all ironies is that Rocky Biddle would be a great closer to have right now!!

And we demoted Foulke and ended up traded cause he kept blowing big games, is the Jerry gonna now demote Koch?

DC Sox Fan
04-16-2003, 06:47 AM
This guy is going to blow more saves than Barry Jones. That guy gave me an ulcer back in the '90s with all his shenanigans.

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 08:21 AM
I doubt Koch will be demoted after all his hype and talk. It would mean the organization admits a mistake and we know that won't happen. I would still rather have Foulke than Koch in the long run, unless he can't get it together. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time this was a good deal. Our team won't comeback and win it when he blows a save like the As did. Maybe we should have considered that. <sigh> :gulp:

Risk
04-16-2003, 08:38 AM
After Koch came over in the trade I felt good cause I had quit hitting smokes (early last season when Foulke was blowing games left and right against Seattle, I was up to three packs a day) and I figured there would probably be no more cravings cause we got a big time closer. Last night I ended up hitting a pack and a half--big relapse.

Its still early though.......

Shoeless Joe
04-16-2003, 10:35 AM
I know this sounds odd but having all those idiots run around the park saved Billy Koch some embarrassment. If it were any other night then Koch would have been the most hated person this side of Satan. That being said the worst thing that Koch did last night was not only having no control but throwing one of the fattest pitches I have ever seen from closer for a home run to Sweeney.

Even though I am embarrassed to be a Sox fan right now I won't lose faith just yet. We can still salvage the series and get back on track. We just need to WIN! :angry:

fuzzy_patters
04-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
I know this sounds odd but having all those idiots run around the park saved Billy Koch some embarrassment. If it were any other night then Koch would have been the most hated person this side of Satan. That being said the worst thing that Koch did last night was not only having no control but throwing one of the fattest pitches I have ever seen from closer for a home run to Sweeney.

Even though I am embarrassed to be a Sox fan right now I won't lose faith just yet. We can still salvage the series and get back on track. We just need to WIN! :angry:

Is it possible that Koch wouldn't have pitched that way if the douchebags hadn't run onto the field? I would hate to think what must have been going through our players minds when this happened. Similarly, I'm sure the young and motivated Royals were thinking, "They're fans don't respect us." I'm sure this kind of crap really motivates a young team like that.

AngelLeroy
04-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Good point. The last thing we need to do is give teams a reason to get fired up. At the beginning of the game the Sox were in control, but at the end after the idiots started running out on the field the complexion of the game changed completely. I admit this might not be a reason, but it's possible...

Kroozah
04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Being in the Bay area and seeing Kock pitch for the A's, there is a good reason he was 11-4 or what ever it was... He got a lot of his wins because he gave up a run or two in the 9th inning and the A's pulled the win off. He was scary here and he is certainly proving to be just as costly the the Sox. This winter I didn't understand the swaping of the two pitchers, because Folke was more consistant... so better keep the zantec close by, its going to be a long year... Where's Rocky, doing the save thing for the 'Spos.

JUGGERNAUT
04-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Look it up my friends.

Over the last 3 yrs:
Koch has more saves than Foulke
Koch has a better save % than Foulke
Koch has more scoreless pitched games than Foulke
Koch has more scorless ip

Those are the biggest factors for a closer.

Koch does blow up REAL GOOD in some games. Much more so than Foulke. But the key is it's only some games.

What that A's fan just said is crap. Look at his splits. 24 or his 34 er's last yr, came against TOR & TEX in less than 10% of the 70 some games he pitched in.

That means about 10er over the remaining 60 games.

He'll be fine.

As for the Rock: Wow!
1.13 era, 4/4 sv's, OPS vs (15rh 454, 12lh 433)

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 07:53 PM
I have been keeping track of Rock on my sig. He's tearing it up in Canada. Who woulda thunk he'd be doing better than Koch, eh?