PDA

View Full Version : The @#$% who attacked Laz Diaz


Viva Magglio
04-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Not that this is really important, but it appeared to me that the guy who attacked Laz Diaz was wearing a Cub-colored hat. Also, I heard somebody (a Royal) really hit the guy hard upside the head. As much as the dork might have deserved it, I can see a lawsuit from him coming.

hold2dibber
04-16-2003, 12:01 AM
I was at the game and had a great view of the Royals' right fielder getting a couple of serious smacks to the face against the idiot. I wish he gotten a few more in.

CHISOXFAN13
04-16-2003, 12:02 AM
just saw footage. Ibanez was stepping on the guy's leg with his spikes. Classic.

cheeses_h_rice
04-16-2003, 12:05 AM
F*#k him; he got what he deserved.

Let it not be forgotten that William Ligue Jr. had a knife on him when he attacked Tom Gamboa. I can't blame anyone for getting all Goldberg on someone's ass when they attack someone unprovoked.

Tavarin
04-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have a picture of this idiot with the hat on? I want to see if it is a Cubs hat or not in case any Cubs fans talk "smack" tomorrow at school

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Oh I'm gonna get it from the Flub fans. What do we have in defense? Unless it was a Cubs fan then oh man! Were any Sox players doing anything about it? It seems dumb to have the visitors defending our home field from attackers.

Tavarin
04-16-2003, 01:05 AM
There were no White Sox players nearby, but if you watch the footage, they all come running pretty fast considering they were all at the other side of the field.

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Tavarin
Does anyone have a picture of this idiot with the hat on? I want to see if it is a Cubs hat or not in case any Cubs fans talk "smack" tomorrow at school

The hat was blue. I assume it was a flubbies hat as there were a lot of them at the game having come from Wrigley in the afternoon.

One cannot blame the Royals for wanting to defend their own after the Lique incident. Yes, the guy got a good smack from the right fielder...

Bucktown
04-16-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The hat was blue. I assume it was a flubbies hat as there were a lot of them at the game having come from Wrigley in the afternoon.

One cannot blame the Royals for wanting to defend their own after the Lique incident. Yes, the guy got a good smack from the right fielder...
This is an interesting take. I wonder if all of the people that ran onto the field were doing the Cubs/Sox thing (a Day-Night double drinker).

CLR01
04-16-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
just saw footage. Ibanez was stepping on the guy's leg with his spikes. Classic.


Does anyone know where this ass clown was sitting? Was he on the fence or did he come down the steps?


Watching the replay of the incident one of the royals, not sure who, grabbed the ball and got in a few head/face shots with it. Then in the shots of him being placed in the police car he had a a nice gauze head wrap going on.

LuvSox
04-16-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I was at the game and had a great view of the Royals' right fielder getting a couple of serious smacks to the face against the idiot. I wish he gotten a few more in.

I wish we could get a few punches in. I'm tired of these morons, BRING 'EM TO ME! :angry: :angry: :angry:

dickallen15
04-16-2003, 08:46 AM
This guy's "fiance" was interviewed on the radio this morning. She said that he is in the hospital, and said he is a Cub fan.

sox_fan_forever
04-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
This guy's "fiance" was interviewed on the radio this morning. She said that he is in the hospital, and said he is a Cub fan.

Big surprise there!

Kilroy
04-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Does anyone know where this ass clown was sitting? Was he on the fence or did he come down the steps?


Watching the replay of the incident one of the royals, not sure who, grabbed the ball and got in a few head/face shots with it. Then in the shots of him being placed in the police car he had a a nice gauze head wrap going on.

There's a nice close up picture of the cretin and his bandaged head in the paper. There's a nice big blood spot oozing thru too.

The guy looks like a dreg, altho not as bad as Lique(sp?). Lique looked like he just moved into an abandoned trailer somewhere, while this guy looks like he may actually be able to come up w/ rent money on a trailer for a month or two until he gets fired again.

Hangar18
04-16-2003, 09:05 AM
You know, where I sat, I couldve swore that guy was wearing
a cub hat !!!!!

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Well at least we'll have a comeback for the Flub abuse. It's still no excuse for allowing fans onto the field. Security did a good job once the right fielder took him down, but they need to stop him before that. It's still an embarassment. Anything more like this and the all star game might be gone.....

hsnterprize
04-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Well, regardless of what color cap he was wearing (and I did see the blue, but I was looking for detail on the cap. None from the TV angles from this morning), it seems like the umpire was a Marine a few years ago. Laz Diaz said in TV interviews this morning that he was a Marine reservist from the 80's to the late 90's, so even if none of the Royals came to his aid, I'm sure he could handle himself. He said on TV that he used his "hand-to-hand combat training" to overpower his attacker before help arrived.

Risk
04-16-2003, 09:28 AM
If this idiot was a Cub fan, it still sucks b/c Sox fans are still going to catch grief for it.

On a lighter note, if it is true that slappy was a Chub fan, he's a typical one--one that runs up from behind and tries to sucker-punch but ends up getting his a## handed to him.

:angry: :angry:

Iguana775
04-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Not that this is really important, but it appeared to me that the guy who attacked Laz Diaz was wearing a Cub-colored hat. Also, I heard somebody (a Royal) really hit the guy hard upside the head. As much as the dork might have deserved it, I can see a lawsuit from him coming.

Could it have been a Royal hat?? they have blue colors too.

hsnterprize
04-16-2003, 09:34 AM
The attacker was wearing a CUBS cap.

I read that from an e-mail list in which someone who was at the game confirmed that notion.

hsnterprize
04-16-2003, 09:55 AM
The attacker's fiance was on the Score this morning, and she said that he was a Cub fan, and that he was at the Cub game earlier yesterday afternoon getting plastered. He decided to keep his drinking going at the "Cell" and you get the rest of the picture.

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Sounds like quite a moron.

FJA
04-16-2003, 10:06 AM
If this is true, hopefully it gets out somewhere in the media other than the Score ... and if you're really looking for a comeback with the Cub fans, politely remind them that they attacked their own pitcher (Randy Myers) and stole a cap from a backup catcher (Chad Kreuter).

Not that this makes four people running out onto the field and the ensuing media attention any less embarrassing.

thecell
04-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Not sure if anyone recalls, but during one of the Detroit games this weekend against the Sox, at least 3 or 4 fans ran on to the field. I'm not making any excuses, but everyone is making a big deal out of the other 3 people that disrupted the game. If that 4th moron didn't attack the ump, there would have been a little blurb about the 3 guys in the paper. I was about 50 feet from where it happened and I'll tell you this, that dumb Cub fan won't be running on to any more fields, not after the shots he took from Brandon Berger.

pearso66
04-16-2003, 11:18 AM
My theory on all of this, is to stop this from ever happening again, is if someone runs onto the field and attacks someone, shoot him, I don't care. It would scare everyone else into not doing it again. So what we hurt or kill a few lowlifes, as long as it never happens again, its all for the better. I know I sound pretty brutal.

Dadawg_77
04-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Not sure if anyone recalls, but during one of the Detroit games this weekend against the Sox, at least 3 or 4 fans ran on to the field. I'm not making any excuses, but everyone is making a big deal out of the other 3 people that disrupted the game. If that 4th moron didn't attack the ump, there would have been a little blurb about the 3 guys in the paper. I was about 50 feet from where it happened and I'll tell you this, that dumb Cub fan won't be running on to any more fields, not after the shots he took from Brandon Berger.

Exactly, no one would care about the first three jackasses if the forth guy didn't go after the Ump.

hold2dibber
04-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Exactly, no one would care about the first three jackasses if the forth guy didn't go after the Ump.

People were running on the field during the Tigers' series, too? I've been going to Sox games for 20 years and I saw more drunken fools out on the field last night (four) than I have combined in 20 years (I'm pretty sure I'd seen three prior to last night). My point is, it sounds like this is becoming more and more prevelant at Sox games. It suggests at least one of the following (1) the Sox are drawing a disproportionate number of meatheads; and/or (2) Sox' security is crappy. The result, ultimately, is going to be bad for the average, non-jackass fan, because they're going to have to beef up security and/or erect barriers between the fans and the field of play.

I think they should put some language on the back of each ticket that constitutes an agreement from anyone who purchases the ticket that if that person runs onto the field of play, he or she consents to a serious public beating from the players. One or two guys beaten to a bloody, stumbling pulp by bat-wielding, spike-wearing, steriod-ingesting professional ballplayers might deter future idiots from seeking their 15 seconds of "fame".

cheeses_h_rice
04-16-2003, 11:36 AM
From today's Sun-Times


http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-fan16.html

The attacker was identified as a 24-year-old Bolingbrook man who was attending the game with a group of five friends and relatives, including his fiancee, Kelly Sherwood, 20, of Bolingbrook. She said as the group entered the park, the suspect told his friends he was afraid of heights and separated from them. They lost track of him until they saw him on the field.

Why don't they identify the loser who actually went on the field, instead of his fiancee?

fuzzy_patters
04-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
People were running on the field during the Tigers' series, too? I've been going to Sox games for 20 years and I saw more drunken fools out on the field last night (four) than I have combined in 20 years (I'm pretty sure I'd seen three prior to last night). My point is, it sounds like this is becoming more and more prevelant at Sox games. It suggests at least one of the following (1) the Sox are drawing a disproportionate number of meatheads; and/or (2) Sox' security is crappy. The result, ultimately, is going to be bad for the average, non-jackass fan, because they're going to have to beef up security and/or erect barriers between the fans and the field of play.

I think they should put some language on the back of each ticket that constitutes an agreement from anyone who purchases the ticket that if that person runs onto the field of play, he or she consents to a serious public beating from the players. One or two guys beaten to a bloody, stumbling pulp by bat-wielding, spike-wearing, steriod-ingesting professional ballplayers might deter future idiots from seeking their 15 seconds of "fame".

The Tigers game that this happened at was played at Comerica Park in Detroit. With two outs in the ninth, the game had to be postponed when some douchebag decided to run through the outfield. Douchebag, by the way, is my new word of choice for idiots who run on to the field.

thecell
04-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Douchebag, by the way, is my new word of choice for idiots who run on to the field.

I like "ass clown" myself. Thanks to whoever posted that earlier. It's been added to my vocabulary!

LuvSox
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Dogs. Big dogs. Big freakin' German Shepard police dogs. Let 'em loose on the 'douchebags' that run on the field. Let the other white trash with that thought in their minds get a good look at a police dog ripping apart the drunken loser who thinks it's cool to run on the field. Pepper spray works wonders too. As soon as the players get done pummeling the idiot, tell them to stand back and make the coward suffer.


And another thing. When you're at a game, don't cheer when some idiot runs out on the field. Boo him, threaten his life, whatever.